windows 2000 cheaply take it or no?

AMDXP

2[H]4U
*edit

Well see about 1996 it was, I was able to buy a copy of windows 95 .... What I'm asking is Im going to see if i can buy a copy of windows 2000 through work a retail copy and see if its any cheaper!

That is if they still let you buy retail copies.

There that sums it up lol.

Sorry.
thoughts?

How cheap?

edit: nevermind, it's OEM, that's not legal to install on any other hardware. Why is your office selling it?!?!?

Your company shouldn't be selling the licenses w/o the PCs. OEM licenses (from a 3rd party like HP/Dell, or off the shelf from NewEgg) cannot legally be changed to be used on another PC (motherboard).

It's quite a legal mess for your *company* to be selling these.

Licensing FAQ.

no you dont get it. I am going to see if I can get one cheaply............................ :rolleyes:

so i guess i cant ok it was a thought.

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
no you dont get it. I am going to see if I can get one cheaply............................ :rolleyes:

Well, if we "don't get it", then please enlighten us as to how you plan on aquiring the software "cheaply" from your workplace. Either it's illegal for them to sell it to you or for you to simply "take" a copy. Take your pick.

bah, fuck it, let him do what hes gonna do. it doesnt affect us. hell id GIVE him a copy just cuz im a nice guy......if it was legal to do ;)

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:

Explain yourself then. What your asking in the OP is illegal for both you and your employeer, so do tell.

Keep your :rolleyes:s to yourself. You asked, I'm answering to the best of my ability. Don't like the advice, ask for a refund.

i want a refund from MS for all their os's i downloaded because it was a waste of my bandwidth and time to d/l buggy OS's...ah well, what can ya do?

just joking btw :)

Well see about 1996 it was, I was able to buy a copy of windows 95 .... What I'm asking is Im going to see if i can buy a copy of windows 2000 through work a retail copy and see if its any cheaper!

Sorry.

Please people don't assume .... jeeze

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:

Sorry.

Please people don't assume .... jeeze
I didn't assume. You said OEM.

OEM=not trasnferrable.

To answer your real question, yes, they can sell you VLA keys cheaper, if they wanted to. Some companies offer this as a benefit to their employees.

Ok I was miss guided by saying oem * My bad.

I apologize for my misleading writing.

Phoenix86 said:
No problem, MS licensing is over-complicated, IMO.
Oh, you have 50 PC's and want to actually use our shiny server product as a resource? Well, let me draw up the paperwork for 50 OS CAL's!

Oh! It's an SBS server and you're going to be using Office 2003 to access Exchange? You'll need 50 Exchange CAL's for your 50 mailboxes!

Are you going to use the rest of the Office suite? Professional/Premium? You ARE?!! YIPPEE!!

Shit should come with CAL's. Would be a bit easier for higher-ups to swallow when it's one thing they have to buy versus three just to add a machine to the network.

feigned said:
Oh, you have 50 PC's and want to actually use our shiny server product as a resource? Well, let me draw up the paperwork for 50 OS CAL's!

Oh! It's an SBS server and you're going to be using Office 2003 to access Exchange? You'll need 50 Exchange CAL's for your 50 mailboxes!

Are you going to use the rest of the Office suite? Professional/Premium? You ARE?!! YIPPEE!!

Shit should come with CAL's. Would be a bit easier for higher-ups to swallow when it's one thing they have to buy versus three just to add a machine to the network.

Erm... SBS does not need Exchange Cals as SBS cals already include it. :p

FYI Micrososft does provide a companywide option which includes the client OS, Office Professional and a Core CAL for file/print services. ;)

Back