Windows 2000 and installing a new video card

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Alrighty,

Having problem using Windows 2000 and installing a new video card on a customers computer. They have a Dell Optiplex GX150 computer, and have just purchased a Visiontek Xtasy Radeon 2950. The computer previously had onboard video. I install the card, go into the BIOS and disable the onboard video. Then it proceeds to try and go into Windows. What happens though is that it gets to the white Windows 2000 screen that has the loading bar at the bottom. The bar fills with blue, but the screen just stays at the Windows screen the whole time, it's not actually getting into Windows.

One of my friends here at work suggested that it may be a DirectX issue, so I removed the video card, got into windows, and upgraded DirectX. Tried installing the video card again, and have not had any luck. Has anyone else had this same type of problem? Any ideas what it can be? If you have any ideas let me know as quick as you can, under a time constraint. :)

Thanks!

Hav'nt come accross that before, I assume that the correct drivers are installed? Perhaps a BIOS upgraded is needed for the GX150?

Can you boot to safe mode? Hit F8 after the post screen to get the safe mode menu. Boot into normal safe mode and install the drivers on the disk you should have gotten with the card. Im assuming that since you havent gotten a full boot that no drivers have been installed yet.

As far as bios goes, a bios upgrade isnt a bad idea, although the system is hanging in the OS portion. A bad bios is more likely to prevent video boot, and we got video boot and post...no windows. This makes me suspect the driver loading portion. It would be nice if it just loaded standard vga drivers and let you update later.
ok just thinking out loud, first thing to do is boot to safe mode, so go do it!

Back