Windows 11 pro

ralphie1313

Limp Gawd
Hi has anyone seen any proformace gains in 11 pro as far as graphics are concerned?

Also is doing the upgrade as good as doing a clean install?

thanks so much

As opposed to Win10? Probably not today, maybe in the future as new features are added/fleshed out (e.g., DIrectStorage, which apparently will work better on Win11 but AFAIK no PC game supports today). I'd expect some review sites will probably do some basic benchmarking.

As opposed to Win11 Home? Not a chance.

Upgrade is fine, unless maybe you've a lot of cruft built up over the years there's the slightest chance of things going wonky.

Graphics isn't everything...
Better multithread processing, Data Transfers ect... this OS can really stretch it's legs over 10

yes sorry i did not metion the os i ment over windows 10..
i see we have some different opinions...
and yes sorry i said graphics card but yes u are right everything helphs out, i am not so tech good so sorry for my lack of explaining things, and no i had done a fresh install of win 10 only like a year and a half ago after i had to build a new rig cause i dropped a whole cup of joe all over the computer and destroyed a 7k machine!!!

Windows 11 is not going to provide any performance increases at all. You may see some on the newer hardware coming out, like Alder Lake (compared to Win 10) because the scheduler will be designed for new CPU architectures and not back ported to 10. But on existing hardware, no it will only be slower.

yes sorry i did not metion the os i ment over windows 10..
i see we have some different opinions...
and yes sorry i said graphics card but yes u are right everything helphs out, i am not so tech good so sorry for my lack of explaining things, and no i had done a fresh install of win 10 only like a year and a half ago after i had to build a new rig cause i dropped a whole cup of joe all over the computer and destroyed a 7k machine!!!

Did that PC case have top exhaust holes?

On the 15+ computers I've installed it on so far, that has not been my experience. That includes computers that are 15+ years old. If anything, the oldest computers seemed to benefit the most from Windows 11.
Compare that to the quickness 'feel' of clean install of any OS. They always feel faster. The benchmarks have already shown it's equal or slower.

Last edited:
The benchmarks have already shown it's equal or slower.

I haven't actually seen anyone do benchmarks on truly legacy hardware yet. Even on new hardware, I have not seen any evidence of slower performance outside of that one specific AMD issue, where AMD has already committed to fixing the issue before the end of the month. Being that I'm already running a 5900X and have not seen any performance regression in any test that I've run on my own hardware, I'm not too concerned about the tiny delay... Then there are a few articles trying to manufacture an issue related to VBS performance regression, despite the fact that VBS is off by default in almost all cases.

Compare that to the quickness 'feel' of clean install of any OS. They always feel faster.

I was not comparing a fresh install of Windows 11 against a stale install of Windows 10. Most of these systems aren't used by anyone other than myself. I take a lot of older systems, refurbish them and make them available for when someone needs a cheap but functional computer. That's a big part of why I've been so focused on the viability of Windows 11 on older "unsupported" hardware. On these systems I'm comparing a fresh install of Windows 10 21H1 with a Fresh install of Windows 11 (22000.194).

There is an easily noticeable improvement particularly on older hardware where the CPU spends a lot of time pegged at 100% usage. Ironically none of these systems meet the official requirements for Windows 11, yet they seem to benefit the most. Windows 11 made a lot of improvements to help focus resources on the active program or task. If you are running a CPU with 6-16 cores then obviously this is not as big of a factor. For older computers this is huge.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...ion-and-performance-improvements/ba-p/2733299
Article said:
- And hearing you describe the design of Windows 11, one thing about the experience that stands out for me personally is just how snappy and responsive it feels. So are there specific performance improvements that we’ve made?

- Yeah, there are. A big shift in how we deliver the Windows experience with better performance in Windows 11 is how we deal with prioritizing apps and processes. So under the hood, we’ve done a lot of work in memory management to favor the app windows you have running in the foreground so that they’re prioritized with more CPU and other system resources. This also carries forward when you launch an app under load. For example, you can see in task manager that my CPU is running with a 90% load on it, what we internally call P90. And that would typically slow you down as you open more apps. So I’m going to launch a couple of apps, first Excel and it loads quickly. Then I’ll snap that window to the left so you can see the task manager on the right. Now, we’ll open Word; again, super fast. And then I’ll put that window below the Excel window. As you can still see in the task manager, despite the heavy load on the CPU, both apps launched as they normally would without any lag. And that’s because these processes are in the foreground so they get more compute resource. That’s seconds of time saved in this case. And the time savings add up as you use the apps over the course of your day.

- So it feels responsive and fast even when the CPU in this case is pretty stressed at 90 or 95%.

- Exactly.

I think it is suspicious that it is reported that AMD CPU's will take a hit wilh 11 until it is patched out, yet the big/little core of Intel is ready to go and rocking from day one! So a well established arc isn't up to speed but the brand new one is :ROFLMAO:
This smells a lot of first gen Ryzen when MS took its sweet time to accommodate the AMD multiple cores on chiplet so they would run efficiently.

I think it is suspicious that it is reported that AMD CPU's will take a hit wilh 11 until it is patched out, yet the big/little core of Intel is ready to go and rocking from day one! So a well established arc isn't up to speed but the brand new one is :ROFLMAO:
This smells a lot of first gen Ryzen when MS took its sweet time to accommodate the AMD multiple cores on chiplet so they would run efficiently.
The ARM Win11 seemed to run fine on my M1 mac. I didn't use it of course other than testing that it works.

benchmarks are showing just that on mine.....i think you cpu on 10 is equal or better than mine on 11...CB or cpuz shows just that but otherwise you would never know. im on latest greatest insider build as well. hopefully they fix it soon cause otherwise i like win 11

Back