Windows 11 File Explorer iPhone compatibility

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
I noticed on Windows 11 that browsing the DCIM folder or using the Import utility, I don't see all of the photo's and video I took. I see some of it but not all of it. I repeated the steps on Windows 10 and everything imports without error, so I know the content on the phone is clean.

I don't think this is a Trust issue because I do see some of the content, just not all. Maybe this is a CODEC issue? Anyone else see anything similar to this? iPhone is a 7 with iOS 14.8.1

Last edited:
I noticed on Windows 11 that browsing the DCIM folder or using the Import utility, I don't see all of the photo's and video I took. I see some of it but not all of it. I repeated the steps on Windows 10 and everything imports without error, so I know the content on the phone is clean.

I don't think this is a Trust issue because I do see some of the content, just not all. Maybe this is a CODEC issue? Anyone else see anything similar to this? iPhone is a 7 with iOS 14.8.1
It is a codec issue. Windows does not natively support HEVC or HEIC. It requires a third-party driver to add this support. The only way to fix this without adding such third-party drivers would be to configure the Photos app on your iPhone to use the "Automatic" transfer mode (not the "Keep originals" mode). This will convert all of your pics to the JPEG mode and all of your videos to the H.264 AVC mode on transferring to PC. Be advised that your videos may not transfer properly or at all if your videos are all 4k and with a frame rate greater than 30 fps.

Thanks for the replies to this.

I did check and my phone is in Automatic mode. Maybe having to convert is what was causing the errors (described below). I wasn't aware of this feature, thanks for pointing it out.

I think the problem was a few things. 1) After unplugging and replugging a few times I was able to see the photos/video in File Explorer on 11 (still no explanation why though). I did see the indexing service going off which may have been causing a problem. 2) Part of the issue when transferring using the transfer wizard was I was selecting "Skip on error" which is why some pictures were being skipped, I didn't realize there were more than 1. Re-running it, other pictures had an error, so it wasn't just specific photos, just random errors while transferring (not sure why 10 didn't have this issue) 3). I think another issue was that I had manually deleted pictures when viewing via USB a while back. I'm suspecting the iPhone doesn't like that, so from now on I'll only delete through the phone.

I did end up getting everything off the phone and did a full phone erase to just start over. I'll check again in a few months of collecting more photos to see if it's working better if I don't delete via USB.

Thanks.!

Just to bump my old thread. Today I just tried importing again with over 300 photos, all on compatibility JPEG mode, and the import on Win 11 went flawless the first time.

So that other format is definitely an issue for Windows PC's.

Back