Windows 10

sam600sx

n00b
Joined
Apr 25, 2005
Messages
38
I have a quick question about the upgrade to windows 10. If I do the windows 10 upgrade download when available will it invalidate my Win7 key for that machine? I have 3 HTPC's I already know I will not be upgrading. They are strictly for watching the media I have on my server. When I purchased a new laptop it came with windows 8. I hated it. Ended up putting Win7 on it.
 
I have a quick question about the upgrade to windows 10. If I do the windows 10 upgrade download when available will it invalidate my Win7 key for that machine? I have 3 HTPC's I already know I will not be upgrading. They are strictly for watching the media I have on my server. When I purchased a new laptop it came with windows 8. I hated it. Ended up putting Win7 on it.

As an OEM computer, your Windows 8 key will no longer be valid afterwards, as far as I know. Therefore, I would just reinstall everything from scratch when Windows 10 comes out and just upgrade from there. (I am not 100% sure about the key no longer being valid but, it would seem to make sense to me at least on OEM computers. However, I could be wrong.)
 
Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much what I was thinking. I think I need to download a copy of the trial Win10 to see if it's something I can live with. If not I will run my Win7 until no longer supported. I might eventually be putting Linux on those computers after that. I currently have Linux on 2 machines. One is for testing out various distro's.
 
Back
Top