Windows 10 won't connect via USB to phones

SilverSliver

[H]F Junkie
Have installed drivers for both phones I have, LG G3 and HTC One M9. Neither phone is seen in devices when plugged in. Anyone have any idea what to do?

i had to manually download drivers for tethering. worked after that galaxy s5

Having this problem with my Moto X 2013.

Manually installed drivers. Nothing.

Installed Moto Device Manager. Nothing.

Tried USB Debugging in Developer Options. Nothing.

If it's really important, Linux has generic driver for Android devices that works very well for my Nexus 7 and LG Optimus. If you really need w10, you can run Mint in a virtual machine ;)

If you really need w10, you can run Mint in a virtual machine ;)

Good to know. And no, I don't really need W10 :D

I upgraded last week, and I've hated every moment of it. It looks great, and feels pretty good, admittedly, but it has been nothing but a headache.

Done all this. Let me know if you find something that resolves

try "reset this pc"...win 10 gets glitch's here an there just like previous versions....been using win 10 for at least a year now and never ran into that issue....sees my phone and tethers just fine. Everybody says it but clean installs fix 99% of issues

The only thing I can think of is make sure you're using a USB 2.0 port and not a USB 3.0 port.

Lol what.

Basic computer knowledge, if the computer does not detect the device at all, it will not matter what OS you are running. From your description, the computer was not detecting the phone at all in the USB port you were using. Glad you have it fixed now though. Have you tried any other device in that USB port? Is it a USB 3 port as MrGreg62 mentioned?

I'm not the OP. But if their issue is anything like mine, just change the port.

My phone would buzz and charge from the port, but windows would not detect it.

I'm not the OP. But if their issue is anything like mine, just change the port.

My phone would buzz and charge from the port, but windows would not detect it.

Happens on all ports. Mix of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. Tried several USB cables and verified they were working correctly by connecting them fine to work computer.

Happens on all ports. Mix of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. Tried several USB cables and verified they were working correctly by connecting them fine to work computer.

Is the phone detectable on another computer? What happens when you connect the phone up? Does it show up at all in the device manager?

Is the phone detectable on another computer? What happens when you connect the phone up? Does it show up at all in the device manager?

Actually just tried my G3 again at work and it buzzes to charge, but does not connect. Does not show up in device manager. USB debugging enabled via developer options does not correct. Work is Windows 7

If it is not showing up at all in Windows, it will not show up in Linux either.

It does, you simply hand over the USB port/device to the Linux VM. If you enable USB Debugging in Developer Options, when you plug-in any android device all of its partitions show up in your file explorer.

Good to know. And no, I don't really need W10 :D

I upgraded last week, and I've hated every moment of it. It looks great, and feels pretty good, admittedly, but it has been nothing but a headache.

Linux will install to and run from any USB flash drive. You can boot your machine, get your photos/videos off your Android device, and w10 will never know.;)

It does, you simply hand over the USB port/device to the Linux VM. If you enable USB Debugging in Developer Options, when you plug-in any android device all of its partitions show up in your file explorer.

Only if the computer sees it at all which, in his case, it did not. When the problem is a physical hardware issue, it does not matter what OS you are running.

Might try a different cable or port. No drivers needed. Its just a usb connection so if not working on one OS most probably won't on another.

Windows 10
I plug my S4 mini in and it pops up what do you want to do. Sync, Open device in explorer, nothing
Open in explorer always been easiest thing to do instead of tying some crap program to it. Copy pics or whatever to PC and play with them there.

Last edited:
now that you mention it i ran into this once before....cheap cables i guess ;)

Some phone/tablet cables are for USB charging only, have no signal leads. Also some even though they look like standard USB cables, are proprietary, my Nexus 7 wireless charger only works with its own USB cable.

yep or you use same cable extension for about 3 years and it working with my phone's but Bro brought an external Usb drive over and I thought it was dead. Different port and cable and it showed up
I see these everywhere in most stores, you don't buy them $2 dollar cables off the store counter cause you get what you pay for

If anybody is still struggling with this issue, I've found a solution:

For N and KN Windows users, we need the Media Feature Pack. Unfortunately, this also downloads Windows Media Player, which is the sole fucking reason I got the N version...

I'm pretty amazed that in 2015, I had to add a feature pack to a Windows operating system just so I could plug my goddamn phone in to copy some files.

Here's the link to the feature pack:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=48231

If anybody is still struggling with this issue, I've found a solution:

For N and KN Windows users, we need the Media Feature Pack. Unfortunately, this also downloads Windows Media Player, which is the sole fucking reason I got the N version...

I'm pretty amazed that in 2015, I had to add a feature pack to a Windows operating system just so I could plug my goddamn phone in to copy some files.

Here's the link to the feature pack:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=48231

:D Blame the European Union and their "anti monopoly" practices. However, thank you for the solution, appreciate it.

:D Blame the European Union and their "anti monopoly" practices. However, thank you for the solution, appreciate it.
Waiting on the EU to sue them for all these privacy issues with Win 10 and using up peoples bandwith for BS.

BTW after plugging my phone in this W10 crap installed a driver for a SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem. My S4 mini is now a Modem... WTH

Its for tethering, I believe. It allows USB tethering which essentially does make it a modem for your computer ;)

Last edited:
Back