Windows 10 Will Be An Automatic Recommended Update

Oh, guess what happens if you call into your OEM for support:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/pc-tech-support-telling-customers-to-avoid-windows-10/

Yes, that is correct, they advise you to DOWNGRADE BACK TO THE ORIGINAL OS for your PC. Yup, go back to 7, or 8/8.1 and remove 10.

Why? Cause Microsoft does not give any financial incentive to the OEM to support the new OS on their product... or, so it seems. (I presume, but it is most likely.)

Besides, swapping to a new OS does NOT help the OEM one bit. Why? Cause you did Not Buy A New PC. So, it is counterproductive for them to support where Microsoft is going...

And it is the Big guys, like HP and Dell doing it.

Sounds like an epic failure on Dell and HP's support team. That's effectively the same as saying, "Reinstall the OS." Don't get me wrong, I've done that many times over the years, but I'm not tech support.

its fine if you ok with the start menu taking almost the full height and half width of the screen.
Fonts twice as big as they need to be.
Task manager almost full screen on a 720p screen.

Ideally they need to allow the user to configure sizes of all this stuff (the dpi adjustment feature is upwards only). Then everyone is happy but seems user choice isnt high priority on their list.

First of all, you've changed topics.
Second, it's 565 pixels across (though I think you can narrow it by removing tiles and re-sizing like any other window and while the default height is roughly 1/2 the screen high, you can resize it to about 1/4.
And even if you couldn't, then why does it matter?

This feels like a windows 7 start menu complaint warmed over. Might as well go back to XP or better still 95

Ok,

AS a guy that does lightweight tech support, and has several years experience, I understand why Dell, HP, etc., tell the customer to Go Back to the Original OS.

Why? Several reasons:
1) The OEM was not in control of the install - and they do not know what you did WHEN installing it, or how you installed (there are a few ways.) All of which makes a question mark as to how to proceed in fixing.

2) OEM has specific drivers and addon software specific to the Original OS.
Which does this: 2) A) Eliminates several driver issues from upgrading from 7 (particularly) and 8 (less so) to 10. (Easy fix for the tech...) and,
2) B ) Returns and re-activates the software the OEM put on the system, to enable quicker and easier Tech Support.

3) Tech Support is expensive, and OEM have thin margins.
3) A) Getting the Tech to blame it on something OTHER than the Product? In this case, blaming the issues on "Upgrading to 10." Which Allows:
3) A) 1) The Tech to blame it on an outside item, not the product...
3) A) 1) a) Which prevents possible returns
3) A) 1) b) Gets the tech OFF THE PHONE faster
3) B ) Possibly removes the use of tech support completely.

4) Microsoft IS NOT PAYING THEM to Support 10, in this manner. So, really, the support should be on Microsoft's shoulder for the OS issues, not the OEM.

4) Microsoft IS NOT PAYING THEM to Support 10, in this manner. So, really, the support should be on Microsoft's shoulder for the OS issues, not the OEM.

That's the thing some people can't get through their heads. Just because its a new year and Microsoft has a new marketing campaign for a new version number of Windows, has not created in OEM's, tech support or IT departments in general a sense of obligation. Their job is to get people back up and running and keep them running so they can close out a case, not take a bunch of extra time and effort just to support MSFT's stock price.

Sounds like an epic failure on Dell and HP's support team. That's effectively the same as saying, "Reinstall the OS." Don't get me wrong, I've done that many times over the years, but I'm not tech support.

First of all, you've changed topics.
Second, it's 565 pixels across (though I think you can narrow it by removing tiles and re-sizing like any other window and while the default height is roughly 1/2 the screen high, you can resize it to about 1/4.
And even if you couldn't, then why does it matter?

This feels like a windows 7 start menu complaint warmed over. Might as well go back to XP or better still 95

Why would i go back to XP when i play games that won't run on it? Your logic makes no sense.

Why would i go back to XP when i play games that won't run on it? Your logic makes no sense.

It's been a while since I wrote that, but I believe it's because the menu that peopl wanted when 7 came out and it appears it hasn't changed with 8 or 10 is the Windows 95 menu (also called the classic menu).

I don't get the big deal, since the start menu is open only long enough to select a program and the program can be gotten to by either typing the name (the most efficient way) or by clicking on all apps (formerly all programs), which is the lowest item on the left side.

But hey, if it bugs you that much, by a skin to make it look like whatever it is you want.

Back