Windows 10 upgrades even more forceful...

Putz

I have a custom title
I see windows changed tactics again and managed to fool a half dozen office users into upgrading from 7..how annoying

so next month we should see more gloating that its on a bunch more computers lol, wonder how many removed it once they realized the popup tricked them into loading it

Quite a few people where I work recently came to me asking what to do because it had happened to their personal computers. I told them how they can roll back and where to turn off the option of downloading and installing recommended updates. Was thinking about composing a department wide e-mail because of it.

Microsoft should be held accountable for costing companies money doing roll backs.

the problem is all the "fixes" to block it they undo with the weekly patches, their solution is domain computers can have the policy edited to stop the prompts, but im not using a domain here

None of their updates have been able to mong GWX Control Panel settings. Never see an update to Win10 offer and don't see the IE spam either.

I've seen the gwx icon showing up on a number of domain joined computers recently.

Last edited:
I removed all the Win10 "patches" that were pushed to Windows 7 last year and set my update settings to no recommended updates and have never had another prompt for Windows 10. Done it to many machines and they're doing fine so far.

Turning off updates is a fairly easy surefire way to get rid of the crap and keep it at bay.
Installing GWX Control Panel is another one, but if you disable updates, you won't need that anyway. Besides, then you'd probably start getting calls from people seeing notifications from that instead. :)

the problem is all the "fixes" to block it they undo with the weekly patches, their solution is domain computers can have the policy edited to stop the prompts, but im not using a domain here

That's one of the most obnoxious parts, MS's cat and mouse bullshit reassuing the same trojan nagware under new KB numbers after previous ones are blocked. Like, really? This is the behavior of malware and any other company doing it in Windows would be considered deviant.

Back