windows 10 ultra slow boot

rudy

[H]F Junkie
I have a windows 10 machine running on a Z68 platform with a 2500k

Windows runs fine and fast when its running.

However boot it very slow. Right after the UEFI says loading OS it goes to a black screen (no cursor), this black screen sits around for about 60 seconds sometimes longer. I have tried to disable all startup items and that doesn't fix it. I have reformatted with a clean install and that doesn't fix it. It has a large SSD with the OS on it, I think a crucial 480gb.

I am looking for how to figure out what is causing this. What is happening normally in that short black screen that would hold it up?

I have another computer with the same motherboard, cpu and OS and right after it says loading OS it goes through the black screen very fast, like 1 second then you see the windows logo and it quickly gets to login.

Ended up that is was a disk in the bluray drive. Not sure why windows had such an issue with that since it is post boot. But I figured it when I was unplugging devices to see if I could fix the problem.

Ended up that is was a disk in the bluray drive. Not sure why windows had such an issue with that since it is post boot. But I figured it when I was unplugging devices to see if I could fix the problem.

This is actually a fun legacy issue with Windows. It totally deadlocks when it has to read some optical media :D Always has.

Nice one, just like I had a blank DVD+R in the optical drive; once I removed it, it booted normally. I was ready to throw the laptop out.

Try uninstalling the graphics driver and booting with just the generic Windows display driver. I've seen this on laptops with Intel HD3000 and ATi graphics, using the generic Windows display driver I was able to diagnose that it was a driver issue.

This is actually a fun legacy issue with Windows. It totally deadlocks when it has to read some optical media :D Always has.

If I have a disk in the optical drive of my Windows PC when it's booting it bluescreens!

If I have a disk in the optical drive of my Windows PC when it's booting it bluescreens!
I wouldn't be surprised if a horrible new exploit would surface where the legacy code originating apparently from Win 3.0 would enable complete control of the computer when a CD with attack code is inserted :)

Back