Windows 10 to support 8K video resolution

JoseJones

Gawd
Windows 10 to support 8K video resolution:

"Microsoft is looking beyond 4K with Windows 10 and bringing 8K support to the OS, years before TVs, monitors and content for that display resolution become widely available.

The 8K support for Windows 10 will be for displays larger than 27 inches, according to a slide presented at Microsoft’s WinHEC trade show in Shenzhen, China, last week."

Microsoft to support 8K video resolutions with Windows 10

They need to come up with better graphics cards before 8k catches wind.

Ok... Well...

*NOW* I want 16K then!

So there!

:p

Did older operating systems not "support" that resolution? I don't ever remember Win7, etc having a maximum resolution...

Did older operating systems not "support" that resolution? I don't ever remember Win7, etc having a maximum resolution...

I think they're referring to the scaling in the OS itself which does have limits. Back in the day a resolution about the size of 1080p would make your icons so small it was a joke to use on a regular basis unless you had perfect eyesight and it was a foot from your face.

I know they were integrating scalable icons and what not up to 4K, but its nice to know 8K will be there for the long-term even if its not coming before 2020.

Until they support individual, customizable DPI per display this isn't very exciting.

Individual, customizable DPI per display is supported in 8.1+. Maybe not customizable to the level you desire, but it is there.

I'm curious, what are the resolution and scaling limitations for Windows 7 and 8? What are some benefits to Microsoft making 8k available in Windows 10?

Individual, customizable DPI per display is supported in 8.1+. Maybe not customizable to the level you desire, but it is there.
No, it's not.

It always sets one DPI for all screens. There's a single checkbox that alludes to doing something different, but it doesn't. The checkbox indicates if Windows will try to "figure out" what scaling to use per display (not DPI), but it is totally unreliable and dynamic per app. So it does silly things like have two different apps, on the same screen, at different scaling levels.

8.1 doesn't even support basic customization, such as 150DPI on one display and 240DPI on another. It looks like it would let you choose to do that when disabling the option to let Windows manage it, but there is literally no options to set DPI per display.

Windows 10 does have that basic ability (via an unhelpful slider, unfortunately yet another expected lame implementation of functionality for the tablet-ized OS), so it at least partially addresses SuperSubZero's initial concern.

Last edited:
Back