Windows 10 to Android 12 Phone - File Transfer Incomplete, No Errors

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
I've never had this problem before,. Recently i tried to copy about 45GB of data to my Android Pixel4a phone, and after it completed, with no errors, only 481MB were transferred. I've recreated the problem by transferring individual directories. Watching the file transfer , the transfer just stops, without errors, but it is incomplete. The transfer dialogue box shows the transfer is moving along just fine, then bam, the box goes away, like it is finished, but there are missing files and complete directories are missing.

Any ideas?

I've never had this problem before,. Recently i tried to copy about 45GB of data to my Android Pixel4a phone, and after it completed, with no errors, only 481MB were transferred. I've recreated the problem by transferring individual directories. Watching the file transfer , the transfer just stops, without errors, but it is incomplete. The transfer dialogue box shows the transfer is moving along just fine, then bam, the box goes away, like it is finished, but there are missing files and complete directories are missing.

Any ideas?
Check your available free space and try another usb cable.

Plenty of room and tried several different cables and back PC ports. It just stops about 480GB in. Other large directories won't compy either. It just stops, unfinished. I jsut tried copying a 45GB RAR file and it completed perfectly.

Plenty of room and tried several different cables and back PC ports. It just stops about 480GB in. Other large directories won't compy either. It just stops, unfinished. I jsut tried copying a 45GB RAR file and it completed perfectly.
Try copying the data to another drive or partition, or check windows' logs. I'm suspecting a dieing drive or corrupt data/partition info.

Oh, I guess it could be running out of inodes on the android if you have a metric ton of small files and folders, but that'd be my last suspect. There should be plenty.

Oh, I guess it could be running out of inodes on the android if you have a metric ton of small files and folders, but that'd be my last suspect. There should be plenty.
inodes? The directory has 17,000 files and 2000 directories. It's not a partitioned drive. it's the Phones internal drive. The 45GB RAR file transferred without problems.

inodes? The directory has 17,000 files and 2000 directories. It's not a partitioned drive. it's the Phones internal drive. The 45GB RAR file transferred without problems.
Yes, inodes are data structures that store filesystem data; they are a characteristic of filesystems, not partitions. Almost all modern operating systems (including android) use a filesystem for arranging stored data in non-volatile storage (SSDs HDDs, Flash, CD, etc). The number of available inodes depends on the filesystem used and the hardware architecture, but it's probably safe to say it's on the order of 65k (2^16) minimum, up to 4b (2^32).

Anyway, looks like you're safely within the minimum at 19000 altogether, as long as you don't have several such libraries of files already on the phone. So, again, I'd suggest attempting to copy that directory to another hard drive or partition (on your PC, not your phone), as I suspect that drive may be failing or the data or partition info may be corrupt.

Yes, inodes are data structures that store filesystem data; they are a characteristic of filesystems, not partitions. Almost all modern operating systems (including android) use a filesystem for arranging stored data in non-volatile storage (SSDs HDDs, Flash, CD, etc). The number of available inodes depends on the filesystem used and the hardware architecture, but it's probably safe to say it's on the order of 65k (2^16) minimum, up to 4b (2^32).

Anyway, looks like you're safely within the minimum at 19000 altogether, as long as you don't have several such libraries of files already on the phone. So, again, I'd suggest attempting to copy that directory to another hard drive or partition (on your PC, not your phone), as I suspect that drive may be failing or the data or partition info may be corrupt.
Just updating this to say I did transfer the directory to an external NVME and it completed perfectly. Initially, I saw discrepancies in the "portable app" directory, which would be normal because when those programs are accessed, they create new files.

I just did a fresh copy and used an external portable apps drive with a portable file comparison tool. Perfect copy.

So now that we know it's not a problem with drives or Windows to Windows copy function, we're back to square one. I am suspecting this is an Android problem or a new incompatibility problem introduced with the latest version of Win 10 21H2 and Android 12. If it is, of course it will NEVER be patched.

I see Windows has a brand new or fairly new update ( 2022-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5009543) so I'll install that and try transferring to my Android phone again. If a full copy doesn't work, then I'll try individual directories in order to nail down what files are creating the problem.

Last edited:
Back