Windows 10 TH1 Build 10240 now available

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
Looks like Windows 10 has gone RTM and when checking Windows Update I saw TH1 Build 10240 available from Build 10166. This should be the RTM if I read the rumors right. Downloading now.

I am waiting for it to be released onto MSDN, hopefully later today or tomorrow. I have been running Windows 7/8.1 on my SSD (Did an inplace upgrade) I would like to do a clean install now...

That was quick. I expected we'd see it prior to 7/29, but not on RTM announcement day.

I'm surprised it's such a big leap forward in build version yet still not RTM. Maybe the TH1 branch is just much further along.

Technically it's the RC right now. I'll be installing this on the machine I've been testing 10 on tonight.

Can you change the color of the Edge Browser?

In the last few versions you've been able to go from dark to light. Supposedly this update was more about polishing Edge than the others, so I'd be shocked if they removed that. I know that it now better handles bookmarks, is sped up, and allows you to search with Google.

In the last few versions you've been able to go from dark to light. Supposedly this update was more about polishing Edge than the others, so I'd be shocked if they removed that. I know that it now better handles bookmarks, is sped up, and allows you to search with Google.

Edge screams performance wise. A lot of people won't be interested in it until extensions come along but if you don't care about extensions the performance might be worth it. The biggest issue I've had with it is resource consumption, it looks like it has leaks in it after running for a while which is a common issue with browsers. Hopefully that gets tightened up as it's the biggest issue for me using in on my SP3. It will get hot and the battery life nose dives after Edge runs for a while without restarting Edge.

Edge screams performance wise. A lot of people won't be interested in it until extensions come along but if you don't care about extensions the performance might be worth it. The biggest issue I've had with it is resource consumption, it looks like it has leaks in it after running for a while which is a common issue with browsers. Hopefully that gets tightened up as it's the biggest issue for me using in on my SP3. It will get hot and the battery life nose dives after Edge runs for a while without restarting Edge.

I've only dabbled with it, but found it unusable without being able to use my bookmarks. Well, I guess it imported them...but they were out of order. That combined with the search function sticking me with Bing and the lack of something like ABP kept me from using it much. I like the look and speed of it, though. With Google constantly screwing around with the Chrome UI I don't know if it would take a lot to make me switch. From what I can tell, the release today fixes my two gripes, so all I really need is an ABP or similar plug-in at some point.

Windows 10 build 10240 installed and watermark is gone!

vawNGxT.jpg

It had me install the prior build before I could installed 10240, so I ran short on time and had to remote from work to finish (Chrome Remote Desktop).

my Auzentech sound card does not fully work with Windows 10...I have to switch to onboard for audio to work properly...yes Auzentech stopped releasing new drivers and went out of business but it still works fine with Windows 7...

I'm apart of WIP and I never received the final build. What the heck?

It wouldn't let me install the 10240 until I installed the last build before the RTM which I had been holding off on doing for about a week. I though I could just skip it and go straight to 10240. You could try and just download it directly from Microsoft.

Just finished installing, no longer says anything about preview evaluation build... :D

I really wish they would change the GUI because that stupid flat looking GUI looks horrible and it's only one colour now, I'll wait for a theme and change it when I get my hands on the RTM.

Works 99.9% just like the others. It does have a new intro (like Win 8 did) where you can choose your internet and default app settings. That alone shows that it was intended as a RC of some sort.
The Windows Modern "Calendar" still can't be used as a default calendar app for some reason. I'm also seeing several of my apps X'd out from offering detailed info on the lockscreen.
Edge can now use Google as a search option, but you have to go to the site first. Bookmarks are still broken, though.
Anyone who has been using the last 4 builds will have to look hard to find changes...other than the watermark and build info.

Apparently if you do a fresh install you won't be able to activate. Only upgrades are supported now. Found out the hard way.

Supposedly fresh install activation will be back online on 7/29.
If you're in a pinch, you can always toss a minimal install of Windows 7 or 8.1 and then choose to upgrade the install and keep no data. That's almost the same as a clean install.

I really wish they would change the GUI because that stupid flat looking GUI looks horrible and it's only one colour now, I'll wait for a theme and change it when I get my hands on the RTM.

That is the only reason why I don't like it plus some of my programs don't work in
Win. 10 I thought the thing would be all nice Aero Glass like it looks like they put next to no effort into the UI unless they just wanted to make the UI less distracting and more functional?

They are going to offer little by little fixes or appease the masses with updates until it finally looks like Windows 7. Or they are just doing this to make it open to modders?

That is the only reason why I don't like it plus some of my programs don't work in
Win. 10 I thought the thing would be all nice Aero Glass like it looks like they put next to no effort into the UI unless they just wanted to make the UI less distracting and more functional?

They are going to offer little by little fixes or appease the masses with updates until it finally looks like Windows 7. Or they are just doing this to make it open to modders?

I'm OK with the UI transparency. Blur is cool, but they halfassed it so that it was just on the start menu and not the explorer borders or taskbar. It looked out of place the way they did it.

One of my feature suggestions back in the initial release for TP was better UI customizations. A lot of the colors are pulled from registry keys, but Microsoft hasn't kept consistent (laziness?) with tying those keys to appropriate locations so a taskbar key might change the font color. It's why using the color theme from past builds makes the taskbar go all wonky.

That's the problem of fast development. Instead of doing something like a framework with variables so it can be modded easily (an engine), they just develop to what the sketch looks like. Look at what StartIsBack or ClassicShell has and we're to believe there's no way MS can give us that level of customization in the Windows core? I understand allowing Windows 7 style is better left for aftermarket themes and they want to only support a consistent UI. But giving a settings app to select colors, transparency options, and toggle blur on/off doesn't hurt their UI paradigm. It allows for individuality.

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with windows 10 coming from 7. It works, it is easy to use and it looks fine. That is good enough for me.

Apparently if you do a fresh install you won't be able to activate. Only upgrades are supported now. Found out the hard way.
They took down the clean install options because they want everyone to stress the Windows Update system.

They took down the clean install options because they want everyone to stress the Windows Update system.

That and upgrades are now clean installs. Just run disk cleaner to get rid of the Windows.old folder.

Any idea why my freshly installed build 10030 won't find new builds in windows update?

Any idea why my freshly installed build 10030 won't find new builds in windows update?

Do you see this key in your registry:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/upcoming-windows-10-insider-build-will-be-rtm-development-branch-th1

Did you activate the build prior to yesterday? If so, there's a shot the update hasn't become active to older builds yet.
I did a rollback from one newer build to an older one and I noticed that it would no longer update after that. Deleting a registry key in that very same branch labeled "rollback" or something close to that did the trick.

That and upgrades are now clean installs. Just run disk cleaner to get rid of the Windows.old folder.

No its not now a clean install. There are still remnant files outside of Windows.old that are left after an upgrade install. Lots of leftover files from previous builds that fail verification when doing an sfc /scannow for example.

And its irrelevant for people that need to install on a new or freshly formatted drive. There are many justifications to a real clean install, and it shouldn't be such a PITA, but I realize we're still technically in pre-release even though its being considered RTM.

Do you see this key in your registry:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/upcoming-windows-10-insider-build-will-be-rtm-development-branch-th1

Did you activate the build prior to yesterday? If so, there's a shot the update hasn't become active to older builds yet.
I did a rollback from one newer build to an older one and I noticed that it would no longer update after that. Deleting a registry key in that very same branch labeled "rollback" or something close to that did the trick.

It says TH1 so I'm not sure why I'm not getting the next build.

Working fine for me doing the upgrade method from previous build.....Doing my ancient laptop now

Back