Windows 10 Task Manager Is Getting a GPU Utilization Tab

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The latest preview build (16226) for Windows Insiders includes plenty of new features such as enhancements to Edge (ink notes, better bookmarking), tweaks to OneDrive Files-On-Demand, and new emojis, but it’s a change to the Task Manager that caught my eye: future versions will reveal your GPU utilization/memory usage. While there is plenty of monitoring software out there, this could be useful for a quick peek. I wonder if temperature is coming next?

For the Task Manager fans out there, we’re happy to share that we’ve heard your feedback and we’ve updated Task Manager to now include GPU info. The Performance tab shows GPU utilization information for each separate GPU component (such as 3D and Video encode/decode), as well as graphics memory usage stats. The Details tab shows you GPU utilization info for each process. Please note that this feature is still under construction and you will find issues and bugs.

Heh, I guess it can help answer the question of "Is my computer mining bitcoins via malware?" pretty easily.

*SIGH* really MS???

I do not understand why MS simply does not include its very own awesome task manager, process explorer, within all versions of windows. it has had GPU utilization for some time, among many other things. it is almost the first piece of software i install on any new system.

Why should they? If you you don't feel like upgrading, Microsoft isn't going to upgrade your older OS for you.

I'm not against this feature at all but i'd never give up MSI Afterburner for it.

If they can ad placeholders to One Drive and this, it might be the most exciting addition to Windows 10 since it came out.

it still doesn't accurately report CPU speeds in my workstations so not sure how much i'd trust this... but sure why not?

Call me when task manager is finally able to take priority over stuck programs (games) in full screen mode. I'll never understand why old versions of windows did this correctly but 10 cannot.

Call me when task manager's settings aren't wiped if the computer crashes with task manger open. fsking annoying MS.. /rage

I never used the w10 task manager anyway, as it's crap. Classic task manager is way better, way more informative, and much more lightweight.

We're already covered by MSI AfterBurner + RivaTuner, but thanks Microsoft, I guess (if you're on Win10, that is). GPU utilization alone isn't going be of much use. They need to add other shit programs like AfterBurner have, like being able to see framerate, frametimes, GPU temps, memory and GPU clocks, vRAM usage, voltages and more. Adding a little GPU utilization tab in the Win10 Task Manager isn't gonna make me use the Task Manager over other programs, when it comes to monitoring my GPU and its related shiznit. But hey, I guess any new features that Microsoft adds to Win10 that are actually helpful are welcome. Better than them adding shit we DON'T want.

I never used the w10 task manager anyway, as it's crap. Classic task manager is way better, way more informative, and much more lightweight.

What info is missing from the new one compared to the old one?

if just i could see threads based CPU load. That would bee soo nice not having to use 3rd party application for that.

What info is missing from the new one compared to the old one?
My biggest problem with it that it doesn't show detailed memory and cpu usage history on the same tab as the old one. I want to monitor both without having to switch screens. Also the total / cached / available / free breakdown for memory is missing. The threads / handles are of course there which is completely meaningless to almost anyone.

And I'm quoting this but that doesn't mean they are not true:

1. The new Task Manager is significantly slower. It consumes more memory and CPU. A task manager should use the most lightweight resources as possible, to enable to quickly start it in emergencies when some process is taking up all of the CPU or memory. The old Task Manager starts instantly without UAC elevation, the new one takes forever to load.
  2. The old Task Manager remembers the last active tab, the new one does not.
  3. The new Task Manager shows everything in groups such as apps, background processes and Windows processes. Even if Microsoft's intention here may have been to organize it better, if you need to quickly locate a particular app or process, it takes far more time now because now the user needs to search for it in each group.
  4. The new Task Manager requires UAC elevation when UAC level is set to highest. This is because it needs trace data from Event Tracing for Windows (ETW). The old Task Manager ran just fine without elevation to show current user processes.
  5. The old Task Manager could be set to run at startup, minimized and hidden so it would start up in the notification area (system tray). The new Task manager, even if it is set from Task Scheduler to run as admin but minimized at startup, it does not minimize properly to the tray.
  6. There is no global status bar visible in the new Task Manager regardless of the active tab, showing the total number of processes, CPU usage and physical memory and/or commit charge.
  7. The old Task Manager showed the application name from the title bar. The new one gets its name from somewhere else. The document name is only shown in More Details view after expanding by clicking the arrow/triangle. Suppose there are 10 windows of an app open and 1 of them stops responding. With the old Task Manager, it was one glance away. With the new one, I must expand the arrow of each window to see if the not responding document is under one of those.
  8. The new Task Manager also breaks keyboard usability. On the Applications tab, I could press keyboard accelerator keys e.g. N for Notepad to jump to that app and use the keyboard to close it. This is not possible in the new one.
  9. Ctrl+ + key to auto-resize all columns to auto fit does not work on Processes, App History, Startup and Users tabs of the new Task Manager
  10. The options for the Networking tab "Show cumulative data" and "Reset adapter history" are removed.
  11. In the new Task Manager, you cannot set the column you want as the first column for the Processes, App History, Startup and Users tab. Only on the Details and Services tab, you can set the column you want as the first column. The first column is important because that is the order by which it sorts the data below the column, especially since the new one cannot remember any of its settings.
  12. Selection of multiple applications on the Processes tab (formerly Applications tab) is not possible. In the old Task manager, I could use Ctrl and Shift keys just like Windows Explorer to select multiple applications and do group window management actions or group End Task them.
  13. The naming and order of tabs is not the same and requires me to relearn the Task Manager for little benefit. What was previously the 'Applications' tab is now the 'Processes' tab. Unfortunately, there was also a 'Processes' tab before which is now the 'Details' tab. This is very confusing for those who have used the Task Manager for years. In old Task Manager, the order of tabs is Applications, Processes, Services, Performance, Networking and Users. In the new Task manager, it is Processes, Performance, App History, Startup, Users, Details and Services. The correct order should be Processes, Details, Services, Performance, App History (because this is a new tab), Startup (also a new tab), and Users as the last tab.
  14. Window management functions (Minimize, Maximize, Cascade, Tile Horizontally and Tile Vertically) on the Processes tab (formerly the Applications tab) and "Windows" menu are removed.
Are those reasons enough for you?

Personally I don't miss all 14, but I do at least take issue with 4-5 of those.

My biggest problem with it that it doesn't show detailed memory and cpu usage history on the same tab as the old one. I want to monitor both without having to switch screens. Also the total / cached / available / free breakdown for memory is missing. The threads / handles are of course there which is completely meaningless to almost anyone.

And I'm quoting this but that doesn't mean they are not true:

1. The new Task Manager is significantly slower. It consumes more memory and CPU. A task manager should use the most lightweight resources as possible, to enable to quickly start it in emergencies when some process is taking up all of the CPU or memory. The old Task Manager starts instantly without UAC elevation, the new one takes forever to load.
  2. The old Task Manager remembers the last active tab, the new one does not.
  3. The new Task Manager shows everything in groups such as apps, background processes and Windows processes. Even if Microsoft's intention here may have been to organize it better, if you need to quickly locate a particular app or process, it takes far more time now because now the user needs to search for it in each group.
  4. The new Task Manager requires UAC elevation when UAC level is set to highest. This is because it needs trace data from Event Tracing for Windows (ETW). The old Task Manager ran just fine without elevation to show current user processes.
  5. The old Task Manager could be set to run at startup, minimized and hidden so it would start up in the notification area (system tray). The new Task manager, even if it is set from Task Scheduler to run as admin but minimized at startup, it does not minimize properly to the tray.
  6. There is no global status bar visible in the new Task Manage

7. r regardless of the active tab, showing the total number of processes, CPU usage and physical memory and/or commit charge.
  8. The old Task Manager showed the application name from the title bar. The new one gets its name from somewhere else. The document name is only shown in More Details view after expanding by clicking the arrow/triangle. Suppose there are 10 windows of an app open and 1 of them stops responding. With the old Task Manager, it was one glance away. With the new one, I must expand the arrow of each window to see if the not responding document is under one of those.
  9. The new Task Manager also breaks keyboard usability. On the Applications tab, I could press keyboard accelerator keys e.g. N for Notepad to jump to that app and use the keyboard to close it. This is not possible in the new one.
  10. Ctrl+ + key to auto-resize all columns to auto fit does not work on Processes, App History, Startup and Users tabs of the new Task Manager
  11. The options for the Networking tab "Show cumulative data" and "Reset adapter history" are removed.
  12. In the new Task Manager, you cannot set the column you want as the first column for the Processes, App History, Startup and Users tab. Only on the Details and Services tab, you can set the column you want as the first column. The first column is important because that is the order by which it sorts the data below the column, especially since the new one cannot remember any of its settings.
  13. Selection of multiple applications on the Processes tab (formerly Applications tab) is not possible. In the old Task manager, I could use Ctrl and Shift keys just like Windows Explorer to select multiple applications and do group window management actions or group End Task them.
  14. The naming and order of tabs is not the same and requires me to relearn the Task Manager for little benefit. What was previously the 'Applications' tab is now the 'Processes' tab. Unfortunately, there was also a 'Processes' tab before which is now the 'Details' tab. This is very confusing for those who have used the Task Manager for years. In old Task Manager, the order of tabs is Applications, Processes, Services, Performance, Networking and Users. In the new Task manager, it is Processes, Performance, App History, Startup, Users, Details and Services. The correct order should be Processes, Details, Services, Performance, App History (because this is a new tab), Startup (also a new tab), and Users as the last tab.
  15. Window management functions (Minimize, Maximize, Cascade, Tile Horizontally and Tile Vertically) on the Processes tab (formerly the Applications tab) and "Windows" menu are removed.
Are those reasons enough for you?

Personally I don't miss all 14, but I do at least take issue with 4-5 of those.

Why don't you report real things that affect you instead of just cut and pasting a very questionable list.

I haven't checked them all,

But #1 is total bullshit. My computer is almost 9 years old, and the new TM doesn't show any noticeable slowness, or CPU usage, or meaningful memory usage, and it starts instantly without UAC elevation.

Most of the rest seems like trivial stuff.

I say this as someone who prefers Windows 7 and only has a test install for Windows 10.

Why don't you report real things that affect you instead of just cut and pasting a very questionable list.

I haven't checked them all,

But #1 is total bullshit. My computer is almost 9 years old, and the new TM doesn't show any noticeable slowness, or CPU usage, or meaningful memory usage, and it starts instantly without UAC elevation.

Most of the rest seems like trivial stuff.

I say this as someone who prefers Windows 7 and only has a test install for Windows 10.
I literally start my entire post with what was my problem with it. If you read the list with the same level of attention no wonder you get it wrong.
It's explained that UAC elevation is only neccessary if UAC settings are on the highest. Are you on the highest level?
When resources are bogged down by a task you want to kill even a few cpu cycles difference can be critical. There might not be a noticeable difference on an idle computer between the two.
That doesn't mean the old one is not more lightweight. We're talking about 0.01% vs 0.1% here probably. Neither will show up in cpu usage as noticeable but it can be an order of magnitude difference.

Yeah it's trivial, the joker argument. You don't care about these therefore nobody should?

It's explained that UAC elevation is only neccessary if UAC settings are on the highest. Are you on the highest level?

Do you actually run with UAC on the highest, or are you just looking for something to complain about? The first thing I do with UAC is turn down the screen dimming effect of UAC. Not really sure why anyone would want that on.

We're talking about 0.01% vs 0.1% here probably. Neither will show up in cpu usage as noticeable but it can be an order of magnitude difference.

If it doesn't even show up as noticeable, how do you even know it is actually happening?

Do you actually run with UAC on the highest, or are you just looking for something to complain about? The first thing I do with UAC is turn down the screen dimming effect of UAC. Not really sure why anyone would want that on.
If you still haven't bothered to read my original post then why do you even reply? I have nothing else to add, everything is there. It looks to me that you're the one looking for something to argue with at all costs. Why does it bother you so damn much that I prefer the old task manager?

If it doesn't even show up as noticeable, how do you even know it is actually happening?
Because I did notice that new task manager would take a measurable amount of time to load when another task is using 100% of the cpu time. The old one however starts immediately unless the runaway task is set to high priority.

If you still haven't bothered to read my original post then why do you even reply? I have nothing else to add, everything is there. It looks to me that you're the one looking for something to argue with at all costs. Why does it bother you so damn much that I prefer the old task manager?

Your original post? You mean that list of random complaints you just copied from here:
http://winaero.com/blog/get-classic-old-task-manager-in-windows-10/

How is anyone supposed to know which ones you are actually having a problem with, when you just copy a list form somewhere?

I can't imagine too many people think UAC isn't annoying enough at default and look into turning it up to maximum.

Back