Windows 10 Storage Spaces NAS

Kurt Clark

n00b
I am planning to set up a home file server or this would be my first so I would be using 5 x 3TB hdds in a 3 way mirror setup. This file server would mostly be for my data backups so data integrity would be the key here.

Since I wanted a windows only solution I had finalized on Stablebit DrivePool / Scanner combo or Storage Spaces. I am more bent towards Storage Spaces since it comes along with Windows.

If I use Storage Spaces I would be using 3 way mirror + REFS , I guess this setup would use all the 5 hdd's.

My concern is that I have a polled drive on the Storage Spaces server and now if I share that polled drive over the network, can I map network drive for the pooled drive and work on it in realtime, what I'm worried about is over the past I had file corruption issues when I used to work on files over the network so just in case when I work over the network here and the file gets corrupted would all the 3 copies get corrupted too?.

My second concern is can I just remove a drive from the pool and connect it to another computer just in case of any major problem or a system crash. Will the files be stored in the same folder structure that I orignally copied in, or will they be scattered across all disks and it would be difficult to know where the copies actually are.

I am planning to set up a home file server or this would be my first so I would be using 5 x 3TB hdds in a 3 way mirror setup. This file server would mostly be for my data backups so data integrity would be the key here.

Since I wanted a windows only solution I had finalized on Stablebit DrivePool / Scanner combo or Storage Spaces. I am more bent towards Storage Spaces since it comes along with Windows.

If I use Storage Spaces I would be using 3 way mirror + REFS , I guess this setup would use all the 5 hdd's.

My concern is that I have a polled drive on the Storage Spaces server and now if I share that polled drive over the network, can I map network drive for the pooled drive and work on it in realtime, what I'm worried about is over the past I had file corruption issues when I used to work on files over the network so just in case when I work over the network here and the file gets corrupted would all the 3 copies get corrupted too?.

My second concern is can I just remove a drive from the pool and connect it to another computer just in case of any major problem or a system crash. Will the files be stored in the same folder structure that I orignally copied in, or will they be scattered across all disks and it would be difficult to know where the copies actually are.

You should use Shareit data transfer software, it will help you to transfer what you need exactly where you want, full and fast data transfer speed.

storage spaces raid10 equivalent is kind of ok

but you don't want to use their parity setup for anything except ice cold beer (crossed out) data

Back