Windows 10: Small Delay When Waking From Sleep

D

DaPiranha91

Hi guys,

I have a quick question. I just upgraded my setup and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10. Right now the only software on it is BitDefender and Steam/Origin + games. I've noticed that sometimes when I wake the PC from sleep and click through the lockscreen, it takes me directly and instantly to the login screen where I can put in my password. However, sometimes there's a delay during which the mouse is responsive (and shows the circling "waiting" icon) but the keyboard is unresponsive and I can't type in my password. This delay can last anywhere from a couple seconds (fine) to ~15 seconds (annoying). It's a minor issue but I'd like to figure out what's causing it in case it's indicative of some more serious fault (I'm paranoid because before the upgrade I had a horribly unstable system due to some sort of incompatibility between the motherboard and graphics card). Is there any way to tell which process is causing the delay when I'm waiting to log in?

Thanks!

Look into the event viewer and see if you find anything. Also, are you running the OS on a hard drive? It could be that it needs to spin up before you can do anything with it.

Antivirus is always the top suspect on my list when investigating random hang-ups. In two ways actually. Either the antivirus itself causes hang-ups by design or the failure of the antivirus has allowed malware in your system and that causes hangups. Both are about as likely and common.

Back