• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 10 Search / Indexing Issue

carnageX

Gawd
2FA
Joined
May 25, 2009
Messages
516
So I installed Win10 yesterday, everything went fine. Started doing some...optimizing and disabled indexing on my SSD. Apparently Win10 didn't like that, because then it wouldn't return any search results related to the Settings app / Control Panel (e.g. Device Manager).

So I re-enabled Indexing, rebuilt the cache, and now I can get to all of the Control Panel items...however none of the Settings options come up as search results in the Start Menu or even the Setting's search bar (e.g. searching for "Default" only returns results related to actual Control Panel items, and nothing like "Default browser").

Tried rebuilding the indexing cache again and it didn't work, tried running "sfc /scannow" and no dice there either. Rebooting doesn't help either unfortunately. Would rather not have to reinstall and reconfigure everything again just because I f'd up the indexing.

Is there something I've missed maybe?
 
The search tries to prioritize. What happens when you click on "my stuff" when searching for "default"?
 
Same thing - under the "Settings" category in the results, the only results for update are related to explicit Control Panel items, such as "Default Programs", "AutoPlay", and "Change default printer".

Tried searching on a spare laptop I have Win10 installed on, and searching for "default" comes up with results like "Set default calendar", "Set default email client", etc.

Just tried creating a new user account, and the same issue - so it doesn't appear to be profile specific.
 
I think the search is just broken, mine won't find specific items in the start menu and will find other items fine. I haven't messed with it at all either just the default settings that come when you install win 10.
 
I think the search is just broken, mine won't find specific items in the start menu and will find other items fine. I haven't messed with it at all either just the default settings that come when you install win 10.

It worked fine before I started messing with things, and it works on my spare laptop with Win10 on it as well. So it's definitely not broken in general.
 
Don't suppose anybody has any suggestions other than reinstall? Data is still backed up if I have to...just a PITA to reinstall all of my software again.
 
This kind of falls into the category of "Microsoft knows better than we do". If disabling indexing when installed on an SSD was the right thing to do Microsoft would program Windows to do that.

That's why I'm kinda ignoring the Windows 10 "bloat" thread because it's pretty much all hogwash.
 
This kind of falls into the category of "Microsoft knows better than we do". If disabling indexing when installed on an SSD was the right thing to do Microsoft would program Windows to do that.

That's why I'm kinda ignoring the Windows 10 "bloat" thread because it's pretty much all hogwash.

I haven't looked at the "bloat" thread at all - disabling indexing is just something I normally do on my SSD on a new install. Never caused any issues on Win8.1. Plus, they did kinda program Windows to do that...there's a GUI for it after all :p. Not like it's a PowerShell command to enable/disable indexing - it's right there in the GUI.
 
Ended up doing a reset on Win10 - search brings up the all the correct items now. Was definitely something that got messed up - just wish I knew of a way to fix it without having to reinstall. Oh well. Working now.
 
So this issue came up again randomly, but this time on my desktop that I have Win10 installed on. However I didn't do any kind of monkeying with settings really and it had been working fine. Decided to see if I could find a fix for it... and found this:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState Right-click the Indexed folder > Properties > Advanced > Check Allow files in this folder to have indexed in addition to file properties. Click Apply and Exit. (may have to uncheck, Apply / re-check it)
Source:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1...or-settings/?do=findComment&comment=597032734

I did that, and it started working after a few minutes (after the folder was re-indexed). So just a heads up for anybody else that sees this thread and has the same issue.
 
I'm not sure how long you are waiting after you rebuild but I had Win 10 install do something similar where the indexing was going slow. I just rebuilt and waited overnight and it found everything.
 
I just dealt with this issue.
I had to reinstall the Cortana package, via powershell, to get search working properly.
It was finding hardly any applications in my start menu.
I found numerous "solutions" but this is the only one that worked for me.

Code:
Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
 
Back
Top