Windows 10 Refresh and Reset

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
My win10 install is having issues of locking up at night. It does so a few times a week. I installed when the consumer preview first came out so was thinking I could benefit from a fresh install. I don't really want to do one though as it is so trouble to get everything set up how I like it and install all the programs and program settings.

I've read that refresh backs up user files and restores them after the installation. Has anyone tried this before? Did it fix anything and did everything restore properly. I figure as long as everything works after it can't hurt to give a refresh a try.

Check your PC is stable.

When I had a clocked 2500K, to remain stable long term (it was used 24/7) I had to boost vcore a bit higher.
It could be up for days and then would blue screen while effectively idle.
Stress tests didnt reveal a problem but the x124 BSD code on Windows 7 gave it away.
It didnt always give that BSD code but higher vcore did fix it.

Give that a try if you arent already pushing the boundary.
If vcore is already too high, reduce the overclock.

Last edited:
before refreshing make sure you have updated to the newest amd 15.8 drivers. I also have a 280x and would have this same problem. the pc is set to turn off the monitor after 20 minutes and after being off overnight would not wake up. I would have to reset or power off/on. after I updated t said drivers the problem has stopped. I have been using the preview version since release and have never needed to reinstall or refresh. so try this first.

Just for information, I have used the refresh option on a Windows 8.1 system before and it did keep all the users data while setting the OS back to when the image was created.

I would always recommend backing up your data first.

Yeah, backup your data first.

The Win10 refresh works just fine as does the reset. I have tried them both.

I did back up my data first just to be on the safe side.

@Nenu my computer doesn't blue screen and never locks up when I'm using it. Only when it is left for a while. Typically it only happens when it is left over night.

@pendragon1 I'm running 15.7 I will give 15.8 a try later.

I will do a back up before a refresh is 15.8 doesn't solve the problem.

@Nenu my computer doesn't blue screen and never locks up when I'm using it. Only when it is left for a while. Typically it only happens when it is left over night.
That is exactly how my problem manifest as well.
I would wake up and the machine was either locked up or blue screen.

I just removed my old drives and installed the new beta drivers, fingers crossed.

Back