Windows 10 Now On 300 Million Active Devices

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Microsoft has successfully nagged 300 million people into upgrading to Windows 10. That's a jump of 100 million from just four months ago. It looks like Microsoft might actually hit its goal of having Windows 10 running on one billion devices by 2018.

As we near the one year anniversary of the availability of Windows 10, we’re excited to share that Windows 10 is now running on 300 million active devices around the world. We’re pleased to see Windows 10 become one of the largest online services in less than a year. Core to delivering our more personal computing vision, Windows 10 offers experiences that are familiar, safer and more secure, and more personal and productive – enabling innovative new experiences.

Hmm. I wonder how they got those usage statistics. Surely they weren't monitoring users' computing habits.

And the free updated period will end on July 29th. So assuming that the upgrade nagging from prior versions goes away, at lot of people complaining about that should be relieved. And then on August 1st no doubt there will those that wondered why they never new about this offer and how they got screwed because they never knew about it.

Hmm. I wonder how they got those usage statistics. Surely they weren't monitoring users' computing habits.

These kinds of stats have been gathered in prior versions of years. 10 does expand on that and force some of it in non-Enterprise versions and the defaults in 10 are at the lowest privacy settings. Some of the stats would have to be known inherently, like questions asked Cortana, by the fact that's a cloud service.

And the free updated period will end on July 29th. So assuming that the upgrade nagging from prior versions goes away, at lot of people complaining about that should be relieved. And then on August 1st no doubt there will those that wondered why they never new about this offer and how they got screwed because they never knew about it.
And once the free upgrade period ends you will see the adoption rates stagnate. That is untill MS gives us an awesome "limited time offer" of extending the upgrade time.

Considering this number should include PCs, Xbox One, and Windows Phone devices....it's actually pretty bad. In particular, if MS had managed to get any real traction in the mobile market at all, those numbers would be much higher. For perspective, Android deployed on ~325 million devices in 4Q 2015. Windows phones pulled in ~4.4 million in the same period.

Considering this number should include PCs, Xbox One, and Windows Phone devices....it's actually pretty bad. In particular, if MS had managed to get any real traction in the mobile market at all, those numbers would be much higher. For perspective, Android deployed on ~325 million devices in 4Q 2015. Windows phones pulled in ~4.4 million in the same period.

Windows Phones on Windows 10 is a tiny, tiny drop in the bucket. Those running Win10 on factory phones is tiny, the people running the preview on their older phones (me!) are minuscule. I don't even consider the mobile version a factor in those numbers.

Xbox? Sure, a bit. How many are out there? 20 million or so?

All in all, PC's are definitely the extreme majority of that 300 million number.

key word here is "Devices"

Even being very liberal with numbers - 20 million Xbox One's and a couple million phones. Windows 10 for IoT is probably 7. :) So, that's ~275 million devices left. Desktops, laptops, tablets.

Yep, back in the day when smart phones and tablets were not really a "thing". Context does matter. :)

Even being very liberal with numbers - 20 million Xbox One's and a couple million phones. Windows 10 for IoT is probably 7. :) So, that's ~275 million devices left. Desktops, laptops, tablets.

The highly customized and stripped down OS on Xbox One that they're calling "Windows 10" =/= the PC Windows 10, and only matters for PR purposes since gamers don't care what's under the hood, and they sure as shit aren't letting the cesspool that is the current windows app store on PC along with all of its knockoff apps anywhere near the pristine Xbone environment.

And once the free upgrade period ends you will see the adoption rates stagnate. That is untill MS gives us an awesome "limited time offer" of extending the upgrade time.

There is only so many machines to upgrade so growth from upgrades would diminish regardless. The next area for Windows 10's growth will come from the enterprise if that happens. My thought on it for a while has been that the one year period would indeed end, at least for now, and that maybe Microsoft might bring it back upon a new major release of 10, perhaps sometime next year if they feel the need to.

Do not be fooled!!!!

The wording here is very important. "ACTIVE DEVICES" - the ONLY thing that means is the device is active. It does NOT mean the Win10 install still is.

The next area for Windows 10's growth will come from the enterprise if that happens.
And sadly the enterprise i work for in IT will be switching to Win 10 here in the next year... dont really care since its not my personal machine, i just dont want to do a 7 to 10 refresh on all the existing pc's

For me, Windows 10 does everything Windows 7 does, but better. Not sure why people are so scared of change.

Then why aren't you on Mac? Scared of the change? Or is Windows working just fine for you?

I'm on Windows 10, prefer it, but scared of change isn't why people aren't upgrading....

Then why aren't you on Mac? Scared of the change? Or is Windows working just fine for you?

I'm on Windows 10, prefer it, but scared of change isn't why people aren't upgrading....

Then why are people not upgrading? Enlighten me :)

I don't want to use a Mac, because the things I do with my computer, Mac doesn't' do so well, the hardware is more expensive, and more locked down as well :).

I realize that not all change is for the better, however in this case, what is worse?

Then why are people not upgrading? Enlighten me :)

I don't want to use a Mac, because the things I do with my computer, Mac doesn't' do so well, the hardware is more expensive, and more locked down as well :).

I realize that not all change is for the better, however in this case, what is worse?
Off the top of my head, the GUI is still a joke, the way updates are handled is retarded, and windows rot on machines that have driver hiccups is atrocious.

The list of limitations with enterprise use is far larger than that of home use, but I don't imagine most people have things like 50 custom start menus all coming from a single ABE folder. As long as mom can find her e-mail shortcut they're more than happy to tell everyone how great Metro is for business use.

Reactions: DPI
like this
And the free updated period will end on July 29th. So assuming that the upgrade nagging from prior versions goes away, at lot of people complaining about that should be relieved.

Funny. You actually think they will stop nagging people to upgrade?
If they don't extend the free upgrade period, I expect they will just change the message so it will send you to a web page where you can pay for the upgrade.

For me, Windows 10 does everything Windows 7 does, but better. Not sure why people are so scared of change.

I use both, and Windows 10 does NOT do everything Windows 7 does.

Windows 10 does run better on my Tablet, and it boots faster on older laptops with slow drives and limited memory.

Other than that, it's a step backwards from Windows 7.
Windows 7 looks better, runs older applications better, has a better GUI, and includes Media Center.

I've reluctantly started rolling out Windows 10 at the office (some of the newer laptops are either Windows 8 or 10, and 10>8
If Microsoft doesn't announce an extension of the free upgrade period, then I'll fake the upgrade to lock in the Windows 10 license on my desktops at home in case I ever decide I need to upgrade to 10.
I'll image the systems to a spare drive, boot on the spare drive, and then upgrade the OS of the spare drive. Once that is done, I'll switch the cables back to the original Windows 7 drive. That way I'll have a Windows 10 license tied to the system board that I can use if I ever install Windows 10.

Last edited:
Windows 10 is ~18% as of a week ago. There's still ~3 months to go before the "first year", so far they look on track to match Windows 7.
Except one has been free its entire first year. But why would that matter, right?

Back