Windows 10 now and gaming performance

MelonSplitter

[H]ard|Gawd
I see that people are already receiving win 10 en masse. Are there any gamers here that could elaborate on performance

I can't imagine it's going to be much different than 8.1 except in DX12 benchmarks. There has already been some data out from TP testing and it's really hit or miss on performance improvements, like 8.1 was to 7.

A long time ago, HardOCP reviewed BF4 specifically for Win7 vs Win8.1 performance. Might be interesting for them to revisit this.

BF4 was an anomaly, a development coincidence because they used Win8's new thread handler while developing the game. The fact people are still having to point to one game from years ago proves the rule that Win8 wasn't inherently faster than Win7 for games.

In any case the benches are already out there, Win10 performance is the same as 8, not surprising since 10 is really just 8.2 under the hood of a marketing reboot. Yes there's WDDM 2.0 in Win10 but needs DX12 support in the game to take advantage. see ya in 2016 for DX12 games

I have been using the Win10 preview for gaming use only on 3 boxes. It has performed similarly with Win8. Nothing to complain for if you ignore the few problems with browser extensions on game launchers. Or punkbuster. But they were third party problems, not directly windows.

wccftech did report that Fermi cards take a pretty big hit on Windows 10 vs. 7, but this is most likely driver related.

pretty cool test....shows win 10 with slight leads in almost every test

definitively windows 10 provide a faster gaming experience at least vs windows 7 where is im testing the last day in 4 of my machines. games that were high CPU demanding and intensive now don't only present better performance overall but the smooth feeling its also much much better. i've decided to test games that I know are heavy in the CPU side, (crysis 3, Watch Dogs, Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Far Cry 3 and 4 and couple of others more) all showed a much better gaming experience. But if I have to be honest the most noticeable performance and smooth experience are from my R9 280X. (sadly right now I have no other AMD card available as the other was given to a cousin). also tested with GTX 980, GTX 980TI, TITAN X, TITAN vanilla, TITAN Black, GTX 780, GTX 780 TI in the CPU side tested machines were i7 [email protected], i7 3930K@5ghz, [email protected], FX8350@5ghz all with the same kit of RAM 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM@1600mhz, sabertooth 990FX for AMD chips, Rampage IV for 3930K and Sabertooth Z77 for 3770K...

Interesting also nvidia kepler cards received better gaming experience than maxwell and overall in the driver side newer AMD drivers are working better than Nvidia. i'll be testing again with more matured drivers for windows 10.

Tried the most cpu intensive game I regularly play, Planetside 2, on my 7970/2500k and the game feels soooo much smoother and the hitching is history. The ingame fps counter shows either cpu or gpu before the fps number which lets u know wether your cpu bound or not and it showed gpu bound for most of my session for the first time ever. Not sure how thats possible considering its a dx9 game but the bottleneck is definately not my cpu anymore.

. Not sure how thats possible considering its a dx9 game but the bottleneck is definately not my cpu anymore.

That's a thing that certainly surprised my too in DX9 games.. but definitively there's a major improvement in the CPU Resource management for every game tested.. some friends here at home are helping me with the testing process and we are all just amazed.

I'm wondering if the boosts are not because Windows 10 bits are better but because people have been doing clean installs.

I'll wait for more comprehensive 7v8v10 clean install testing before coming to a conclusion.

Here is another 8.1 vs 10 test:

Windows 10 is marginally faster overall for both cards, but again driver changes and random anomalies can easily account for that. As you have been able to see, going from Windows 8.1 towards Windows 10 for DX11 based games, really hardly makes any differences.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/windows_8_1_vs_10_graphics_performance_review,6.html

Last edited:
has the OS alone ever really led to a substantial performance improvement in games?...not counting DX exclusive features of course...Windows 10 does claim much better multi-threaded performance but I still don't see any huge difference

has the OS alone ever really led to a substantial performance improvement in games?...not counting DX exclusive features of course...Windows 10 does claim much better multi-threaded performance but I still don't see any huge difference

Very few games are multithreaded. Most use only 1 or 2 cores. Battlefield 4 is one game that does use multithreading. You can see it from the benchmarks where multicore cpu:s beat down 1-2 core cpu:s by a wide margin where other games don't see the difference.

And edit: I'm not confusing threads and cores, just pointing out that without threading the game can't fully take advantage of multiple cores.

This is going to sound crazy but back in the day I played a game called Shadowbane. When I was beta testing it I was on 98SE (had not upgraded to XP yet). Right before release, in late 2002, I decided to upgrade to XP SP1 and the performance boost on exact hardware was huge. The game stuttered a lot on 98 but was perfect on XP. Maybe it was just shit coding by the devs. I can't say for sure if it was the OS or not.

you are certainly underestimating the participation of the OS in the Resource Management and how process are arranged through the cores, remember that it's the OS itself who decide how to manage the CPU cores. and that can make a difference while gaming which in the case isn't huge in terms of higher FPS but more in the terms of constancy and smooth gameplay.

Gaming performance on windows 10 is roughly the same as 7 and 8/8.1. It actually feels like it may be a little faster, but that could be because the OS itself starts up so much faster and feels more responsive overall.

For someone who primarily games or for a gaming specific PC, the upgrade to windows 10 is definitely worthwhile. There is no performance hit, and you get DX12. That's a win-win.

This is going to sound crazy but back in the day I played a game called Shadowbane. When I was beta testing it I was on 98SE (had not upgraded to XP yet). Right before release, in late 2002, I decided to upgrade to XP SP1 and the performance boost on exact hardware was huge. The game stuttered a lot on 98 but was perfect on XP. Maybe it was just shit coding by the devs. I can't say for sure if it was the OS or not.
This can be chalked up to just how much better the NT kernel is at doing stuff than Win9x. Heck, the old OS/2 kernel in 1993 handled the multitasking of the day better than Win9x ever could, even years later.

I can't imagine some magical framerate boost coming due to an OS anymore. For a while Windows has been tuned well enough that it's churning out frames at virtually the maximum speed the hardware will allow, barring unlocking magical DX12 features or something.

I can't imagine some magical framerate boost coming due to an OS anymore. For a while Windows has been tuned well enough that it's churning out frames at virtually the maximum speed the hardware will allow, barring unlocking magical DX12 features or something.

In CPU-limited gaming scenarios Linux has show an advantage over Windows 7 (and maybe 8.1, I forget off the top of my head). It's hard to say what part of the software stack is the reason (kernel or display server, etc.), but it does show that there was still some room for improvement.

Just tried Batman AK. 10 fps. With 8.1 I was averaging 60. I knew I should have waited until I finished the game. Son of a bitch this fuckin sucks.

In CPU-limited gaming scenarios Linux has show an advantage over Windows 7 (and maybe 8.1, I forget off the top of my head). It's hard to say what part of the software stack is the reason (kernel or display server, etc.), but it does show that there was still some room for improvement.

As Valve found out when they were porting their games to linux, opengl is faster than directx. So there are definitely areas microsoft can improve.

As Valve found out when they were porting their games to linux, opengl is faster than directx. So there are definitely areas microsoft can improve.

I remember that being that case back in the 90's. Man I miss the days of Glide and OpenGL on windows.

That's true but even doing opengl vs opengl, same game / benchmark and same driver (nvidia shares the driver code base), there was still a difference. I'm not sure if Windows 10 closed the gap or what.

Back