Windows 10 noob question...

Mboner1

n00b
Hey guys, got a bit of a noob question about windows 10, I have signed up for the free upgrade to Windows 10, I have my operating system installed on a smallish SSD , and all my games on a couple of external drives, does anyone know if the games will still work with windows 10 or will I run in to compatibility issues? Cheers.

Games tend to work just like they do in Windows 8. Everything I've tried has worked fine. Drivers from Nvidia are more or less final now, too.
Some older games (like Crysis 1) still need to run in compatibility mode just like in other new OS's. If you run into anything wonky, try running in compat mode before giving up.

If you do an in place upgrade the games should continue to work because all installed programs will carry over. If you do a clean install, depending on the game, you may have to reinstall the game.

One of the better things about the newer game services (like Steam, Uplay, Origin, GOG, etc.) is that clean installs are no longer a pain in the ass. At least if you're somewhat organized. I keep everything game related in a single folder (c:\games) and you can copy it to a back-up drive and copy it back after a clean install to get all of your games back in record time. With Steam you just tell it to verify your content and it'll see the files. Origin and Uplay do the same thing the first time you run a game. In 15 minutes you can have hundreds of gigs in games restored and ready to roll on a new machine.

Cheers for the heads up guys. Looking forward to windows 10 release.. tried the preview on a back up pc for a day or so awhile ago and loked the look of it. Cant wait to try the new browser either, sick of chrome and mozilla, and pale moon doesnt have the support i would like. Hopefully this new one is a keeper.

Edge will probably be a solid browser once they enable plug-ins and fix some of the bugs. I like the look and speed of it right now, but it's not quite ready for prime time quite yet. Supposedly the next big revision is due in September/October.

I was interested in this question as well. Specifically and generally, will I see any driver or compatibility issues vs 8.1 if I'm running a 295x2 i.e. Crossfire?

Perfect thread for me. ;)

I am signed up, too, but I may not pull the trigger right away on updating 10 when it hits. I'm on 7.

If I want to keep using 7 for a while, what's going to happen? It downloads anyways and takes up x amount of space and sits there patiently until such time as I go for it? How much drive space will that be? Thanks.

It probably won't download until you tell it to do the upgrade, but in the event it does pre-download it'll be no bigger than the size of the iso disk (around 4GB).

Apparently it's pre-downloading right now for many of the people that "reserved" it.
I've been running it for about a month and while it's finicky, I think most major issues are in the past. A patched up version of the RTM with the latest Nvidia driver seems to be solid. That's of course after some blunders last week.
Gaming is spot on for 8.1 performance on my system.

Best advice I can give anyone who is clean installing: If you're installing 15-20 programs (like I did), re-boot after every 4-5 installs. Most of my biggest problems came after trying to install a dozen or more programs in a row without rebooting. I discovered this after the 3rd try :p

I have docs, music, games etc and my "D" hard drive, with the OS and programs on the SSD "C" drive. if I do a clean install, it shouldn't affect antying on the D drive, right? All I would need to do is re-install the programs that are on C?
I know it's a basic question, but the title of the thread allowed me to ask it.
Thanks.

Back