Windows 10 Microsoft Store purchase - where's the key?

digilink

Gawd
Posting this here as both a question and FYI for anyone that may run into this in the future. Last November, I purchased Windows 10 Pro (full retail) from the Microsoft Store as a digital download. I found it strange that they did not send me a key, so no problem I'll just use Produkey to extract it and store it somewhere safe if I ever have to do a re-install.

Well fast forward to yesterday. I recently built a new system (specs in sig), and to make a long story short I went through LITERAL HELL with Microsoft to get this re-activated. The key I extracted from the previous install was blocked due to the hardware changes. I think.. oh ok, no problem.. I'll just activate by phone.... WRONG. It still failed. I ended up calling Microsoft support, got transferred 4 times, and finally got to a nice young lady that remoted into my machine and fixed the issue for me and got the system activated.

So upon further research.. Microsoft has changed the way they do the licensing a bit for Windows 10. I have what I believe is called a "digital entitlement" which is basically locked to the hardware it was installed on. At first they told me I would have to buy another copy of Windows 10 and I was furious and demanded a supervisor, at which point they realized I had bought a legitimate copy and proceeded with getting it activated. This may be old news for some, but posting my experience and what I uncovered anyhow.

So here's my question.. is the Produkey method even valid with this? I've read in other places that if you do a clean install just skip the license key entry and validate your install through the store once the system is up and running.

The product key is likely a generic key because as you said the licensing is done via digital entitlement. It's very similar to how product keys on OEM activated computers are basically generic, place-holder keys.

The nice part about digital entitlement is that you can reinstall without typing in a key, you just skip they key and if the system was already activated the new install will activate as well. The bad part, as you encountered, is that the store purchase, just like the free Windows 10 upgrades, you don't actually get a key if you want to move it (if you're even legally able to).

Regarding your issue, when you bought the 10 license originally did you see a EULA that mentioned transferring to a new computer?

I just tried to find some EULA information for the version of 10 purchased from their store and I cannot find any. I really don't know what the restriction is for transferring.

Last edited:
Regarding your issue, when you bought the 10 license originally did you see a EULA that mentioned transferring to a new computer?

I just tried to find some EULA information for the version of 10 purchased from their store and I cannot find any. I really don't know what the restriction is for transferring.

I do not recall seeing one either, but Microsoft still honored it as a valid pirchase and re-activated me anyhow. Had I known it was going to be this kind of hassle I would have opted to just buy a retail copy instead. I bought the full copy as I was not ready to give up my Win 7 Ultimate license just in case I didn't like 10. 10 is ok so far with the exception of this licensing snafu :/

The price in the store is the same for a retail copy so I assume the licensing is the same.

Reason #25 not to ever install Win10.

Because doing something unsupported doesn't work? The software was purchased as a digital download. He used an unsupported key extraction tool to try to get a key, but as far as I know, that key isn't used for validating installs from the store! Not to mention the fact that those key finders aren't supported, either. The "digital entitlement" thing doesn't appear to be any different than the old WGA - verifying the same install isn't being used on different hardware simultaneously because you bought one retail product and installed it everywhere. Not sure what makes this unique to Win10, considering you'd experience the exact same issue if you bought Win7/8 retail copies, entered the key back in November, then got a new build and installed it again. Same issue, same resolution, but it appears he's having an issue _because_ he tried using a generic key that isn't for product activation.

From the windows activation site, emphasis mine:

Digital entitlement is a new method of activation in Windows 10 that doesn't require you to enter a product key.

If you ... bought and activated Windows 10 from the Windows Store, you have a digital entitlement for your device. This means you can reinstall the same edition of Windows 10 that your device has a digital entitlement for without entering a product key. During reinstallation, if you’re asked to enter a product key, select Skip. Windows 10 will automatically activate online after the installation is complete.

Just like in past versions, when a reinstall too close to a previous one is detected on substantially different hardware, you have to reactivate using phone:

If you made substantial hardware changes to your device, such as replacing the hard drive or motherboard, try activating Windows by phone. Type SLUI 04 in the search box on the taskbar, select SLUI 04, and then follow the instructions on the screen to activate Windows.

Just like in past versions, when a reinstall too close to a previous one is detected on substantially different hardware, you have to reactivate using phone:

I think this is where I tripped up. What I should have done I think is NOT entered the key during install, and tried the phone activation instead. I bet it would have worked. Nevertheless.. Microsoft got me fixed up so even though I couldn't understand the nice Indian lady at the other end of the phone, I remained patient and they got it going for me.

Reason #25 not to ever install Win10.

Ehh.. well it's not THAT bad.. I'm actually kinda diggin' it and I was a pure solid Windows 8 hater. It has a more solid feature set over Windows 7 and overall the new additions are pretty nice in my opinion.

Ok an update on this. I made the mistake of updating my BIOS and it trashed my RAID install, so I had to start from scratch again. Thought it would be a good test anyhow... well the issue remained, even though I skipped the key this time, I simply could not get this activated without Microsoft intervening. I was not pleased to say the least, and even though it was on the same hardware, it still would not work. I bitched and argued with them for over an hour and demanded a refund if they couldn't provide me with a key so I don't run into this again the future, and they wouldn't budge.

My solution was to purchase a digital copy directly from Amazon instead, I was provided a key instantly and used it without a hitch. A word to the wise, if you plan on doing any re-installs or hardware change outs (like so many of us on this forum often do) I recommend either purchasing a retail boxed copy or digital download from Amazon and NOT Microsoft. I never thought I would have trouble with something like this, especially coming directly from the source, but like any big bureaucratic monopoly I'm not surprised really.

Wow, Microsoft have turned into real dicks. Reason #26 to never install Win10.

Wow, Microsoft have turned into real dicks. Reason #26 to never install Win10.
Actually what he meant was "Don't ever buy anything from the windows store" cause they will fuck you over in a heart beat no matter who's fault it is. The operating system itself is not that bad

updating my BIOS and it trashed my RAID install

could not get this activated without Microsoft intervening

The BIOS update likely caused a hardware signature change. Reinstalling required activation, and it happened very recently after another activation. Not sure what you expect or what that has to do with where you bought it.

Back