Windows 10 - Login Screen (No Password Box)

Nizmatik

Weaksauce
Hi Everyone,

Problem: I have a HP Probook 6540b laptop with Windows 10 installed. For some reason, whenever I'm at the login screen, I can see my user account name however upon clicking on the account, I don't have a password box to enter in my password. The screen slightly "fades" and all I can see is the Windows 10 spotlight wallpaper, and icons in the bottom left hand corner i.e. Language (ENG), WiFi, Accessibility and Power. Now, if I leave the laptop on for about 30 mins and continuously click onto my user account name, the password box will eventually appear. From here, I can enter in my password and log in. I get ths issue everytime I turn on my laptop (after shutdown) or even if I lock the laptop, I get the same issue.

Question: Is there any solution for this? I've been researching the Internet a lot about this, apparently this was a known issue a few months ago but was supposedly resolved in a new build. I'm currently running the latest version of Windows, build 1607 and everything is up to date according to Windows Update.

Can anyone help? Anyone else encounter this issue?

Thanks!
Niz

I keep hearing that creating a new user account and using that instead can solve a lot of weird problems with Windows 10. That is the first thing I would do for this particular issue.

If that doesn't work, try a Windows Reset, which is a lot less hassle than you might think; the things it nukes is Windows Stores apps, Desktop apps and OEM software (in your case the HP junkware).

I keep hearing that creating a new user account and using that instead can solve a lot of weird problems with Windows 10. That is the first thing I would do for this particular issue.

If that doesn't work, try a Windows Reset, which is a lot less hassle than you might think; the things it nukes is Windows Stores apps, Desktop apps and OEM software (in your case the HP junkware).

Hey thanks for the response! Ok, I'll try with the new user account step first and see if this makes any difference.

Excuse my ignorance, when you say desktop apps, I'm assuming you also mean apps like Office, MYOB etc? Reason why I'm asking is because these are 2 apps installed on the laptop which I can't afford to have wiped.

Cheers,
Niz

Hey thanks for the response! Ok, I'll try with the new user account step first and see if this makes any difference.

Excuse my ignorance, when you say desktop apps, I'm assuming you also mean apps like Office, MYOB etc? Reason why I'm asking is because these are 2 apps installed on the laptop which I can't afford to have wiped.

More details here, but the answer is yes, applications that you install get wiped. If you are not able to re-install them, that's an interesting problem. Let's hope the new account fixes your problem.

Back