Windows 10 keeps turning my monitor on at night

Bryank930

Limp Gawd
Windows 10 keeps turning my monitor on at night. When I'm done with work for the day, I turn the monitor off on my home PC with it's power button. When I come back in the morning, the monitor is on and displaying the desktop. I changed the power settings to turn the screen off after a few hours, but now in the morning, the monitor is still on, but in sleep mode (orange led).

I press the power button on the monitor, I don't get how the PC can override that...

Things I've done to try to fix this:

• Disable wake timers
  • Disable "allow this device to turn my PC on" for the NIC and mouse in device mgr
  • Sleep and hibernate are both disabled
  • No game controllers attached
  • Powercfg -lastwake comes back with 0
  • Just a few minutes ago, I uninstalled teamviewer, so I'll have to wait until tonight to see if that does anything.

Any ideas?

Totally not helpful - but I'm not sure the whole power options / sleep / hibernate thing works all that well in Win 10. It's a little buggy on my rig too. Most times it goes to sleep just fine, but once or twice a week, it just sits there and runs full tilt. Might be my imagination, but this as well as other inconsistencies seems to correlate with using the fast user switching. (account #2 logging in while I'm logged in). Can't say I've seen it turn itself back on though...

On my two son's PC's, I now just have them turn them off, (mine runs Plex so it stays on) and that seems to be working better here. We had the same issue as you are describing, but with the fast boot and SSD options now days, the startup time on them is pretty small. It took a few months to get them re-trained, but it is working better...

If you physical turn the monitors power button off there should be no way for the OS to turn it back on with just DVI.

Is the monitor connected to the PC with USB cable? Is it connected with HDMI?

HDMI spec allows the ability to power on/off devices but I'm not familiar with that being supported on PC.

Last edited:
It looks like you've done everything right. I also find that teamviewer wakes my PC even when I have every other wake option turned off. But I don't have to uninstall teamviewer, just make sure it's not running when I put my computer to sleep.

This issue was driving me up a wall for a while. Turned out to be this little bastard needing to be set to prevent waking from other computers share requests (allow the computer to sleep):

bQQxos7.jpg

Only time I've seen something like that is when you also have some other device like a PS4 hooked to the monitor and it wakes up (like accidently pressing a button on the controller) and you have the monitor set to turn on when it senses such a device coming on (mine does). My suggestion: look at your monitor controls see if there is such a sense function and if it's on, maybe it's triggering by mistake.

If you're connected by HDMI or Displayport it is possible to block the signal that allows the computer to sense the monitor's state by modifying the cable (by cutting the wire or putting tape over the offending pin).

To update this: It is connected via HDMI. I don't let the computer sleep, ever (it controls my ip cams).

I found a setting on the monitor itself that may do the trick. I disabled DDC/CI on it. I'll report back with the results.

Back