Windows 10 Insider Question

Ryan7968

Limp Gawd
Around May/June I started using the Windows 10 Insider build on a secondary PC. After July 29th when Windows 10 was officially released, the PC running the Insider preview downloaded an update and seemed to become a regular Windows 10 Pro copy.

Long story short, I swapped disk drives and had to reinstall Windows 10. Now this will not activate. Is this to be expected because it all started as an Insider preview?

Around May/June I started using the Windows 10 Insider build on a secondary PC. After July 29th when Windows 10 was officially released, the PC running the Insider preview downloaded an update and seemed to become a regular Windows 10 Pro copy.

Long story short, I swapped disk drives and had to reinstall Windows 10. Now this will not activate. Is this to be expected because it all started as an Insider preview?

Likely it's probably because your PC isn't matching the original hardware signature that the prior install was activated against.

That said, you could probably re-install the preview build and let it re-upgrade to PRO and go from there.

The hardware signature seems mysterious to me. In my main PC I have changed CPU's, swapped out 4 disks, added a second GFX card, and reinstalled clean Windows 10 (straight Windows 10 ISO, no need to install Win7 then upgrade) at least 3 times without any issues on the activation.

I'll definitely give what you suggest a try and hope that it works.

The hardware signature seems mysterious to me. In my main PC I have changed CPU's, swapped out 4 disks, added a second GFX card, and reinstalled clean Windows 10 (straight Windows 10 ISO, no need to install Win7 then upgrade) at least 3 times without any issues on the activation.

I'll definitely give what you suggest a try and hope that it works.

How did you get on with this? I was in the same situation of being in the Insider Program, and getting a full Pro version. However, after the latest TH2 update, instead of just Win 10 Pro, it now says Insider Preview version again (10565). I want to upgrade my OS drive from an HDD to an SSD, but I'm not sure if I will be able to activate it again...

How did you get on with this? I was in the same situation of being in the Insider Program, and getting a full Pro version. However, after the latest TH2 update, instead of just Win 10 Pro, it now says Insider Preview version again (10565). I want to upgrade my OS drive from an HDD to an SSD, but I'm not sure if I will be able to activate it again...

I need to work on it still, been too busy. I'll be sure to update the thread when I know more. It's just my HTPC with the problem, and when I'm watching videos the "activate windows" message does not distract me much.

I would guess it's not matching the hardware signature but I could be wrong.

Oddly enough, I have swapped CPUs and Motherboards and not had this problem activating on one pc. However on another I changed out the HDD (did a clone) and the CPU/Mobo (went from intel to amd) and it failed activation everytime. Who knows how this works at this point...

Back