Windows 10 Informs Chrome And Firefox Users That Edge Is “Safer”

Get off of 10 people, it's a disaster. 8 and 7 are still supported. The faster their 10 user numbers drop the faster we can get a proper successor to 7.
Only fair? Google is a free website. If I dont like Google I can go elsewhere. Windows 10 is an OS you paid for (or you downgraded a paid-for 7/8 license). It is not acceptable for there to be ads on the desktop.
Again, people, stop putting up with this crap. You have options.

And you have the option to reinstall 7 or 8 or just turn off the notifications.

Against my better judgement, I used Edge to quickly visit a couple of websites. Computer slows to a crawl, crack open Task Manager, Edge is using 1.7 GB with two tabs open and rapidly climbing.

I don't think any kind of marketing campaign is going to get me to actually touch a Microsoft browsing product ever again, short of using it to download Chrome :rolleyes:.

I would advise you to not move the goalposts when you are trying to make a point. Such notifications provides no value to the end user, it is value to MS to push their own software. Such notifications, such monitoring takes a finite resource which I could be making use of... "oh it's only 0.01% what are you complaining about" it is still MY resources and any redirection impacts

Lets use a nice car analogy... It would be like Ford including a fuel sensor to check who's fuel you filled up with "its not ESSO so let's warn the user". This user now has to carry this sensor around which costs fuel
1. you said they should stick to doing OS stuff. The aforementioned things, which EVERYONE expects with their OS, are not core to an OS.
2. You can turn it off.

Short of that, I'd suggest you write your own NAIB OS so that it does what NAIB wants. The rest of us can just turn off the ones we don't want (which extends well beyond MS notifications).

Using Google services is a choice. Getting pestered by popup notifications in the OS is not. The difference really shouldn't be so hard to grasp.

Popup nag spam begging people to use MS's shitty, half baked WinRT/XAML based browser is going a little too far.

Maybe MS should've focused on making more compelling software with must-have features (consequently the entire crux of the windows app store's failure) so they wouldn't have to nag/beg/force-install all their new forever-beta crap in this metro era of suck.
It is a choice. you can choose to leave them on or you can turn them off. You can't turn off Googles notifications if you go to their site. Thus, you have more choices with Windows. And for the record, my main browser is Firefox. I have Edge. I use it occasionally, but only when FF doesn't work on a page.

I've seen google prompting me to install Chrome when using IE if I have the adblocker off so both companies suck.

All. Over. Google.

Attachments

• ChromeNaG.jpg
    ChromeNaG.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 30
Unfair? Sorry but, Chrome and Firefox both can add alerts in Windows 10 as well, Microsoft does not need to hand hold them or bend to them.
That sounds like a horrible idea. It's one thing to be bugged upon launch of a browser but quite another to use your OS platform to extol the dangers of your competitor's product constantly through out your day. Eventually the OS will start arguing with itself as it warns another program about the dangers of another program that it is running itself.

It is a choice. you can choose to leave them on or you can turn them off. You can't turn off Googles notifications if you go to their site. Thus, you have more choices with Windows. And for the record, my main browser is Firefox. I have Edge. I use it occasionally, but only when FF doesn't work on a page.

The key part of your statement is IF you go to their website. There is choice from the very beginning. You could always use Bing. If you don't go to Google's sites at all you'll never see it at all. There's absolutely nothing to turn off. You just don't go there. Contrast that with your OS that came with your computer purchase scaring you half the death about the dangers of the it's competitor's products. It's not even remotely the same.

We are talking basic reading comprehension people. One is giving a recommendation about the best experience the other is telling you it's dangerous to use anything else.

I've never been prompted by any browser on launch in Windows 10.
Thank you Ad-blocker and for disabled MS Metrics!

-Silver
(Former MS Employee)

The key part of your statement is IF you go to their website. There is choice from the very beginning. You could always use Bing. If you don't go to Google's sites at all you'll never see it at all. There's absolutely nothing to turn off. You just don't go there. Contrast that with your OS that came with your computer purchase scaring you half the death about the dangers of the it's competitor's products. It's not even remotely the same.

We are talking basic reading comprehension people. One is giving a recommendation about the best experience the other is telling you it's dangerous to use anything else.
If you never use Windows, you'll never see that notification (that's easily turned off, but [H] whiners gotta whine). Nobody is forcing you to use Windows.

If you never use Windows, you'll never see that notification (that's easily turned off, but [H] whiners gotta whine). Nobody is forcing you to use Windows.

Maybe they have his daughter?

MS is pretty bad these days, though. And that's a dick move. No need to defend them just because others are doing terrible things, too

This is a terrible practice, and "google does it too" is not an excuse, that's kindergarten level reasoning. Neither one should do it. But an ad for chrome on a website is not an issue. You're only a visitor there. But an ad within the OS of your computer is an issue, that should be your private domain, noone should have the right to bombard you with ads there without your specific consent. If W10 was a completely free OS, then it might fly. But it's not. Free upgrade != Free, you paid for windows at an earlier time, and new users still pay for it.

Last edited:
Aside from the fact that I don't under most cases (only for games that absolutely require it), as I said before typing in your location bar to use a different search engine is a trivial exercise at best. The average person cannot just choose a different OS without life altering consequences. It's really not the same thing as I said before.

Run Linux... then Chrome and/or Firefox Opera Konqueror Midori GnomeWeb Lynx or any other browser you can find will update themselves with your system. If MS wasn't evil they could have included an official update for major software developers within update, they added WHQL drivers what back around Windows 7. Not saying they should include updates for beta or developer channels and every little piece of software(that would be nice though).... a program for companies like google to submit patches for stable software like whql would have made Windows 10 feel a bit more like a modern OS instead of what it is... windows 7 + popup adds and MS Cloud Spy/MalWare. After being on Linux for awhile and getting used to my system just updating every piece of software I have installed for me, the idea of manually updating anything just seems so dated.

Don't the newer versions of Windows automatically include and update the Adobe Flash Player as part of their routine updates? There is probably an avenue down which multiple developers could deploy updates in a similar manner. What hoops they will have to jump through and whether or not they would follow through are another matter.

I have been seeing the notification messages about Edge for a while now. The annoying part is that Edge is virtually useless in its current state for the work I need to get done. GMail works better in Chrome and ironically, so does Office 365. I can't check my Office 365 e-mail in Edge without it crashing or failing to display the page and Microsoft develops both!

It is their platform and I reluctantly agree to use it, so I understand their point, but the whole thing still feels underhanded, especially when their "safer" solution is unreliable for the primary tasks I wish to perform with it.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Win 10 was killing my laptop, constant freezing even at 8g ram. Gave up and re-installed 7. Works great again.

Don't the newer versions of Windows automatically include and update the Adobe Flash Player as part of their routine updates? There is probably an avenue down which multiple developers could deploy updates in a similar manner. What hoops they will have to jump through and whether or not they would follow through are another matter.

I have been seeing the notification messages about Edge for a while now. The annoying part is that Edge is virtually useless in its current state for the work I need to get done. GMail works better in Chrome and ironically, so does Office 365. I can't check my Office 365 e-mail in Edge without it crashing or failing to display the page and Microsoft develops both!

It is their platform and I reluctantly agree to use it, so I understand their point, but the whole thing still feels underhanded, especially when their "safer" solution is unreliable for the primary tasks I wish to perform with it.

I felt the same way about IE for a long time as well. MS with their stupid activex and the way they would try and "extend" standards was a determent to the net. To this day their are a small handful of large companies sites that don't play well with browsers other then IE. MS expected they would come in and strong arm the browser competition off the field by always having the only new and shiny "enhanced" standard browser on the market. Thankfully their competition didn't take the bate constantly running to include MS "extended" junk. Had they done that MS would have won, simply extending new features at will every few versions to continue having the newest shiny browser.

The market killed off IE, cause turns out a good solid standards complaint browser is better. I don't run windows myself so don't care about edge... I hope most windows users have seen exactly why supporting a MS browser is bad form. (if people really switch to edge in numbers they will go back to their ie tricks no doubt) The sooner MS realizes they will never again have a dominate browser, the quicker they will stop trying to make one. Which would be very good for the industry. Heck perhaps the MPAA will even realize they better allow companies like Netflix to stream more then 720p to standard complaint browsers... IE and edge do more because they use non standard DRM that industry likes for some reason. No sure why its not like 1080p and even 4k streaming content doesn't end up on the pirate list day and date... it sucks being punished by the people you are BUYING content from, makes lots of people wonder why they don't just pirate stuff when the seller tries to force you to a specific browser.

As for java updating I think that is just a security thing... cause you know Java is terrible for that. I think if your software is such a big security flaw that the OS maker decides they better force update people... your software should be burned with fire. :) I guess it would be a bit much asking MS to implement a linux install/update style system. Windows die hards would be up in arms with that type of change... I mean they rioted when MS added rights elevation ect for program installation.

Note if your not a Linux person, most Linux distros update system works a lot like steam. You install out of repositories then it ends up in your systems library much like your steam library and from then on your system keeps things up to date. It will also track any dependencies you need and keep them up to date and remove them if they are no longer needed by anything.

Last edited:
Maybe they have his daughter?
MS is pretty bad these days, though. And that's a dick move. No need to defend them just because others are doing terrible things, too

I turned off that notification a week or 2 before anyone on here started bitching about it.
Maybe if all the whiners spent more time configuring windows and less time whining about minor issues they'd have more time to yell at the kids on their lawn.

Aside from the fact that I don't under most cases (only for games that absolutely require it), as I said before typing in your location bar to use a different search engine is a trivial exercise at best. The average person cannot just choose a different OS without life altering consequences. It's really not the same thing as I said before.
And turning off the notification is a trivial task for those that are more interested in turning it off than whining about how evil Microsoft is.

Here let me help you and everyone else with this trivial task

1. From the start menu type "notifications"
2. Click on "notifications and actions"
3. Turn off "Get trips, tricks and suggestions as you use windows"

4. Stop whining.
5. yell at kids to get off lawn

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    388.2 KB · Views: 28
Maybe if all the whiners spent more time configuring windows and less time whining about minor issues they'd have more time to yell at the kids on their lawn.

Until the next update that reinstalls the OS, breaks your games, and resets all of your settings.

I have two kids and a job. I do not want to spend additional time configuring Windows just to make it act like it's supposed to. I do not care if there's an 'opt-out' button, I do not want ads introduced to ad-free software I paid for.

Until the next update that reinstalls the OS, breaks your games, and resets all of your settings.

I have two kids and a job. I do not want to spend additional time configuring Windows just to make it act like it's supposed to. I do not care if there's an 'opt-out' button, I do not want ads introduced to ad-free software I paid for.
I know I have turned off that notification more than once, but you're right, it keeps coming back.

I applied the last update a month or 2 ago (windows update iddn't offer it to me until then) and it reset absolutely nothing. No extra icons. No Candy Crush nothing. So maybe they've finally fixed that issue.

Back