Windows 10 in a Nutshell

Simmonz

2[H]4U
I have never before seen a picture that could so perfectly encapsulate how shitty the update system is on Windows 10.

pvdcnifwx6zz.jpg

I only have W10 installed on one device and I just disabled updates as it was such a PITA and ended up breaking more shit than it fixed. Once in a while I run it all manually when I expect the machine to be down all day and I have time to fix whatever got broken.

GJ Microsoft.

Sounds right. I just found out that if you disable driver updates by microsoft, it will still install graphics drivers regardless. It installs the one it has in it's list, even if you have a newer driver installed.

I am reading the stupidity... but I am also understanding what this is really saying.

"Your current driver is the correct one... However... the manufacturer has failed to make their protection payments this month. SO we will now be installing the MS approved driver which the manufacturer proved to us months back when their protection monies where paid up."

Why can't MS just go and break their legs instead of trying to break their supposed customers machines. lol

I'm sure there are plenty of MS defenders around these parts that would say this is simply a $var1 $var2 msg and not intended to appear as evil as it does.... all I can say is it amazes me what people will put up with just to play a couple video games. :)

After we went back to Windows 7 and destroyed the Windows 10 media around here, I remember the first time I brought Windows 7 back up, thinking, "it may not be perfect, but at least I can control it!".

Seriously, my job went from horrible to quite nice in one reboot.

After we went back to Windows 7 and destroyed the Windows 10 media around here, I remember the first time I brought Windows 7 back up, thinking, "it may not be perfect, but at least I can control it!".

Seriously, my job went from horrible to quite nice in one reboot.

Unfortunately that's only a temporary comfort. We have computers coming in that are not compatible at all with anything before 10.

Unfortunately that's only a temporary comfort. We have computers coming in that are not compatible at all with anything before 10.

Oh, I am not concerned about new hardware, yet. I have been charged with looking into what it might take to convert to Linux. Or even if it is possible, given the applcations we need to run.

Confidence in Microsft's ability to deliver a viable solution is at an all time low around here and I am not going to make the same mistake as my out-of-work predecessor did.

Not compatible because an alternate OS won't install or not compatible because it wouldn't officially be supported by MS?

Could just be poorly worded. E.g. if the final line means "We'll keep trying to install [remaining updates]", then it's just saying "this isn't stopping you from updating".

Poorly worded, but it doesn't matter in the grand scheme. The grand scheme being the average user that doesn't know his ass from his elbow anyway.

The fact is, as an operating system there is no denying that Windows is on a downward slide. Where as when it comes to Linux I am constantly amazed at just how good a free OS can be and how little I had to give up in order to run it.

Poorly worded, but it doesn't matter in the grand scheme. The grand scheme being the average user that doesn't know his ass from his elbow anyway.
but it is their ass and their elbow NOT microsoft's & what is clear from this is microsoft doesn't even know the difference between their foot and their mouth and why it is good to keep one out of the other

HERPDERP you have better drivers but imma keep trying to "upgrade"

MS has already redefined upgrade as downgrade & this is clear with windows7 --> windows10 is a downgrade but is marketed as an upgrade

Last edited:
The fact is, as an operating system there is no denying that Windows is on a downward slide. Where as when it comes to Linux I am constantly amazed at just how good a free OS can be and how little I had to give up in order to run it.
The fact is, despite its problems, Windows 10 has some significant improvements over its predecessors. Where as when it comes to Linux, I am constantly amazed that after decades of development and supposedly millions of programmers working on it, it has failed to mature to a point to gain any significant traction in the desktop market.

Reactions: x509
like this
The fact is, despite its problems, Windows 10 has some significant improvements over its predecessors. Where as when it comes to Linux, I am constantly amazed that after decades of development and supposedly millions of programmers working on it, it has failed to mature to a point to gain any significant traction in the desktop market.
Define "improvements"

Do you really have to ask that? MS pressured retailers to sell PC's with windows arguing that it would cut piracy.... If virtually every machine is sold with windows why would people look elsewhere? Most don't even know what an OS is and just use what is there... They did the same with IE

Linux marketshare that is impossible to quantify has more than doubled in the last few years that we know of. Microsoft's popularity has nothing to do with the fact that it's a great OS, it's solely due to the fact that it is literally force installed on every brand name and OEM PC/laptop sold - That's not any form of choice on behalf of the consumer.

In situations where manufacturers offer devices preloaded with Linux, such devices are a rip roaring success (Dell Developer Edition devices).

Windows is very much the McDonalds of operating systems. You need to stop defending the very large corporation that see you as no more than a cash cow and do not respect you or your privacy at all as a consumer.

Reactions: naib
like this
I don't really care one way or the other about the hatin' of windows 10 but that screenshot is hilarious...

I finally got to experience Win10 first hand thanks to a work laptop! And low n behold all the things I assumed were terrible about it from watching videos and reading comments... WERE TRUE!
I got a forced update popup within an hour of using it (it must have been sitting for a while unplugged), to which I choose "later" than went searching through the control-charms-settings-panel-bar-menu to find "download updates but let me choose when to install them" option, which I selected. Walk away for 5 minutes.... "Your system is restarting!".
The ads/live tiles on the metro-trash menu, wow, so many of them.
Giant mouth-breather-friendly warning popups, forced full screen on apps, I mean, what else is there that I haven't experienced yet.. I can't wait to find out!?

Back