Windows 10 Home - How to activate Start Menu and Windows Update

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Simple questions here.

1) Running Win 10 Home and the start menu essentially never works. I can right click on the Windows icon and get some functionality, including the ability to shut down/restart. But is there anyway to increase the reliability of the start menu working? In Vista/7 and even 8/8.1 with Classic Shell it always worked flawlessly.

2) Windows Update. How does it work and how do you access it? Can you even utilize it on your own, or does Microsoft choose when you get updates? I can't seem to find an updater that lets you manually check for updates. It is not present in the control panel but in settings I found an updater, but clicking on it does nothing. Does this mean there are no new updates? I would prefer to install updates when I get a chance opposed to Microsoft bricking your computer for 20-30 minutes while it installs updates at the most inconvenient times.

Ironically I was backing up stuff preparing my desktop to move from 7 to 10, but I am not too sure if I want to now. 10 just seems very buggy and awkward in layout/design.

2) Windows Update. How does it work and how do you access it? Can you even utilize it on your own, or does Microsoft choose when you get updates? I can't seem to find an updater that lets you manually check for updates. It is not present in the control panel

There's a "word bubble" icon in your system tray, click it and you'll open the Action Center. Select the "All Settings" flywheel icon. There should be a "Update & Security" icon.

Despite being Win 10 Home, you can instruct it to search for available updates and install on your own volition. It's only if you don't do that, Windows will d/l and schedule an install time.

Back