Windows 10 Home Edition May Force Updates On You

HardOCP News

[H] News
Something doesn't sound right about this. Why would Microsoft remove the ability to defer updates from just one version of Windows 10?

"Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available," the Descriptions page explains. "Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates."

It kind of makes sense. You would be surprised how many people never install updates. I mean never, and they are proud of it. Then on the other hand enterprise users would probably be using WSUS or something, so they would have a Sys Admin forcing their updates.

It kind of makes sense. You would be surprised how many people never install updates. I mean never, and they are proud of it. Then on the other hand enterprise users would probably be using WSUS or something, so they would have a Sys Admin forcing their updates.

Exactly! Its crazy how many people never do any updates.

Great, so look forward to winding up with a bricked system when they push a bad update.

Exactly. So MS forces home users to stay up-to-date since so many have proven incompetent to do it themselves, but allow businesses slowly roll them out in a fashion that's not disruptive to their business.

This is to do with updates after Windows 10 is installed, not forcing Windows 10 installation on a home user. (I realize I am the first to mention this but I was hoping to get out in front of it before it goes off in that direction.) The real question is, will the computer spontaneously reboot well trying to create a video or play a game? Or, will there be a warning with the ability to set the date and time to reboot?

9ad4cf9c0003235e4c810be7

And you would be surprised how many things windows update fucks up. Like my friend's AMD driver and CCC settings that windows update kept wiping out with an older driver in an endless loop. If there's no way to at least defer driver updates this could be very bad.

But let's not pretend like this is 100% altruistic and "microsoft just wants to keep users safe". The end user is the product now, Windows 10 is an advertisement and data mining platform, and force-fed updates makes it easy to ram new marketing campaigns and cloud gimmicks down unsophisticated users throats whenever Microsoft Marketing decides its time.

"Oh you don't like that Bing Bar we just installed?? Too effing bad. Stick your nose in it, breathe in deep, and learn to love it"
mHfVMuC.jpg

Yeah this is a non-issue. 90% of all home users and even some small business users that use the Home version in an Ad-hoc office enviroment really do the updates. This is just a way to make sure the OS stays secure and up-to-date without having user intervention.

And you would be surprised how many things windows update fucks up. Like my friend's AMD driver and CCC settings that windows update kept wiping out with an older driver in an endless loop. If there's no way to at least defer driver updates this could be very bad.

But let's not pretend like this is 100% altruistic and "microsoft just wants to keep users safe". The end user is the product now, Windows 10 is an advertisement and data mining platform, and force-fed updates makes it easy to ram new marketing campaigns and cloud gimmicks down unsophisticated users throats whenever Microsoft Marketing decides its time.

"Oh you don't like that Bing Bar we just installed?? Too effing bad. Stick your nose in it, breathe in deep, and learn to love it"
mHfVMuC.jpg

Yada, yada, yada, I hate Microsoft and am a conspiracy theorist, yada, yada, yada. There, I fixed it for you. :D

Yada, yada, yada, I hate Microsoft and am a conspiracy theorist, yada, yada, yada. There, I fixed it for you. :D
Very true indeed. I have worked on many friends' and family members' machines and they have never updated, ever. Then, when I do update it, it takes forever, literally forever.

For enterprise users? Lots and lots of legacy hardware that gets broken by updates, thus the choice.

Home users? They only run antivirus updates and scan AFTER they have the virus.

I'm not sure what your friend is doing, but I don't get Nvidia driver updates from Windows Update. I get them from the nvidia control center software (whatever it's called, "Experience"?)
The last time I had a windows update actually mess anything up was back in Windows ME, and hell, that was SOP back then. But these days, it's essentially flawless.

I went home to visit my mom back east a few weeks ago (She is still running Windows 7 on her laptop) and updates have not been run in over a year!!!!

Reading the line again, I'm wondering if they're saying Updates will automatically be downloaded/installed by default. Meaning if you were to install a copy of Win10 Home, you wouldn't get asked how to configure updates. Turning them off via the control panel may still be an option.

The Pro/Enterprise versions on the other hand, will "ask" how you want to do updates during the install so it can be configured right off the bat instead of having to do anything after-the-fact.

If it is indeed forced, that will be a major pain point for me and could quite possibly be a deal breaker as far as upgrading my W7HP licenses.

Good! I know lots of people in my social circle who don't understand what updates are or what they do, and therefore never update any of their devices. This is an excellent move by MS.

mHfVMuC.jpg
Oh they have had a few bad updates. There is no denying that, but over the sever thousand they have released. The few bad updates are the exception not the rule, and for the majority of home uses they should download and install all their updates automatically.

Well, after so many people get infected due to outdated anti-virus and an unpatched OS, it makes sense. Microsoft has been fighting botnets for a while now. This is just another way to fix it.

Like someone mentioned above - it is probably by default and can be turned off if you want to manually install...

This is good for everyone - helps reduce the prevalence of malware and botnets.

Ah, who am I kidding...the entirety of the 3rd world is still probably running on pirated WinXP.

This is absolutely asinine. For anyone with a data-capped internet connection, using up valuable download capacity is simply not acceptable. I have a cottage where there is no DSL or cable available. The only internet access is through cell phone hotspot. I have 6 Gb/month of data. Any kind of large patch ( and I have seen several from MS) will use up valuable data. Overage charges are usurious. This is simply dumb on MS's part.

I would find it absolutely hilarious to learn that you make use of any of Google's products after a post like that. :)

There are a lot of stupid people out there who stop their system from updating, even overnight when they aren't even using the computer.

Thankfully, My family is very good at keeping their systems updated.

This is absolutely asinine. For anyone with a data-capped internet connection, using up valuable download capacity is simply not acceptable. I have a cottage where there is no DSL or cable available. The only internet access is through cell phone hotspot. I have 6 Gb/month of data. Any kind of large patch ( and I have seen several from MS) will use up valuable data. Overage charges are usurious. This is simply dumb on MS's part.

So you would never update? Sounds like that is as bad as the overage charges.

The basic issue here is how to interpret the phrase "automatically available". That could be used to describe how updates work now in Windows 7 and 8.x.

If it said "automatically installed", then that would be a legit reason to freak out, but it doesn't say that.

You know, if you are relying on a cell connection, you might want to up your cap. Just saying...

The article is wrong--the Microsoft link where this information was supposed to be has been taken down, so it's just one more thing about Windows 10 that has been misinterpreted/misunderstood by Internet writers trying to drum up page hits. First came the nonsense about Microsoft charging a fee for Win10 after the first year; now this garbage about forcing updates. People really are stupid, aren't they?

Update: the page is now back and corrected:

"These are for a pre-released version of Windows 10 and are subject to change."

It's sad that Microsoft has to keep repeating itself in a variety of ways because people's brain-cages are shrinking...;)

It's probably going to work just like the 8.1 system does now when you just let it do it's thing.

The updates install when you shut down/start up. If there is a very critical update you can postpone it so many times then it eventually just forces it on a reboot and you have to wait for it to install.

I don't have a gigantic problem with this. It's super duper annoying when you desperately need to get work done and you have to wait for an update, but that is virtually ALWAYS my fault for clicking to postpone all the time.

Generally, the updates don't cause me any noticeable downtime.

I'd be shocked if there won't be some way for a power user to control the update process. Let's not all freak out here.

And the idea of the free OS doing things the auto way, and the pay OS giving you more control... isn't a bad one if they go that route.

Great, so look forward to winding up with a bricked system when they push a bad update.

Great, more people spreading fud; The occasional bricked update > a botnet fueled by dips shits that never update, or run a pirated OS.

Microsoft Windows 10: Reboot edition. There are updates practically every day does this mean your PC will just reboot every day? That's going to piss off lot of people.

So glad I'm on Linux now. The direction Windows is going sounds terrible. The next version after 10 is where it will get really bad, with the subscription/cloud crap.

I want my PC to be my PC, I don't want some 3rd party controlling it.

This is a non-issue. Windows already has the option to delay windows updates while on metered connections. This isn't being removed in Windows 10.

Microsoft Windows 10: Reboot edition. There are updates practically every day does this mean your PC will just reboot every day? That's going to piss off lot of people.
Most updates do not require a reboot to install.

I want my PC to be my PC, I don't want some 3rd party controlling it.
So run Windows 10 Pro? This article only requires to the extra-cheap Home version.

I am sure there will be some way around this. But personally I do not have any problem if MS makes it so it doesn't ask you at install if you want auto updating or not. I will also point out there are many people who had a bad experience with windows update because they were doing a presentation or something important and windows update kept screwing with them. This often causes them to disable it. They needed a dedicated mode where once you are doing something like say giving a power point presentation or watching a movie, or playing a game (notice most are full screen) the windows update, antivirus and all other thing cease to try to update or do anything that would get in your way. This is a long overdue feature. Something similar to how antivirus companies have implemented silent or gaming modes.

I would find it absolutely hilarious to learn that you make use of any of Google's products after a post like that. :)

Hardly shining a light on anything previously unknown.

Google's products are free, and unless you're missing a section of your brain, you understand going in that you are the product. Same with Facebook, yada yada.

Windows 10 = paid OS. "But but free upgrade from Windows 7" is irrelevant. Until they provide an ISO that doesn't require a key, its a paid OS. And I'm not interested in data mining and advertisements as core components in a paid OS.

It's sad that Microsoft has to keep backtracking in a variety of ways because they don't understand that consumer hostile policy changes only piss off longtime Windows users...

FTFY.

I wonder how many of the folks making these decisions play any type of ping sensitive games? Nothing like several hundred megs of updates to roach up a gaming session.

Back