Windows 10 Game Mode: Free FPS Boost Of A Few Percent, With More To Come

Anyone recall the utility put out by AMD that shut down a lot of windows background services for a boost in gaming? Think it was called Fusion, or something.
I tried it, it did equal a couple FPS on some games.

So does this mean the benchmarkers will finally switch from a clean image of Win 7 Pro for their LN2 sessions?

Anyone recall the utility put out by AMD that shut down a lot of windows background services for a boost in gaming? Think it was called Fusion, or something.

Good memory! :)

https://www.techpowerup.com/82446/amd-fusion-gaming-utility-version-1-0-released
https://www.dvhardware.net/article29920.html
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/79492-amd-fusion-for-gaming-tested

Pretty much same thing minus overclocking. But the difference seems to be that Fusion disables while this just changes priorities and power plans to get the same result.

(Note in the test that it also auto overclocks so those numbers are useless as a compare.).

Last edited:
Good memory! :)

https://www.techpowerup.com/82446/amd-fusion-gaming-utility-version-1-0-released
https://www.dvhardware.net/article29920.html
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/79492-amd-fusion-for-gaming-tested

Pretty much same thing minus overclocking. But the difference seems to be that Fusion disables while this just changes priorities and power plans to get the same result.

(Note in the test that it also auto overclocks so those numbers are useless as a compare.).

i tested razers gamebooster to see if i wanted to implant similar features in Project Mercury I got 0%

How much did you verify numbers and with the FPS ? should i be relooking into this ?

i tested razers gamebooster to see if i wanted to implant similar features in Project Mercury I got 0%
How much did you verify numbers and with the FPS ? should i be relooking into this ?

Wow, it was so long ago I can't give specifics. I recall you could adjust the setting for how aggressive it would should down background apps. Most games I didn't see any difference.
Some I saw a little. But what it seemed to be a benefit to a system that was really CPU bound, I was running a Phenom 9500 at the time, (2.2Ghz clock). A couple games had built in benchmarks and I saw 1 or 2 FPS better.
One of them was Far Cry 2, but don't recall what the other was.

Everything about W10 reminds me of the original star wars. "The more you tighten your grip Microsoft, the more users will slip through your fingers."

You can look at it the other way also how much did that force you to learn?

The kids today don't have that.

Doing that at 12 eventually let me into an IT career.
Which is why I think it rather funny how people think it a given that kids today know more about technology than older folks. That was true in the past, but certainly not now. Being able to use a smartphone isn't indicative of technological prowess.

You mean like Gears of War 4 that has never crashed on my systems and plays beautifully at 4k? That one? :confused::eek::yuck::geek:

Good to hear... when you use MSI Afterburner, what kind of FPS are you getting at 4k? What kind of GPU usage? Oh..... right....

Good to hear... when you use MSI Afterburner, what kind of FPS are you getting at 4k? What kind of GPU usage? Oh..... right....

Why would I use MSI Afterbuner? Oh wait, you must be one of those stare at the fps meter all the time guys, right?

Why would I use MSI Afterbuner? Oh wait, you must be one of those stare at the fps meter all the time guys, right?

Not everyone treats their computers like a game console. Power users like to tweak the game settings to get every last bit out of a game. If you like the UWP system, it's not something you'd undrestand.

Not everyone treats their computers like a game console. Power users like to tweak the game settings to get every last bit out of a game. If you like the UWP system, it's not something you'd undrestand.

That's nice. Me, I do not have the time I once had so I prefer to play games most of that time, which I have very little time for as it is.

You mean like Gears of War 4 that has never crashed on my systems and plays beautifully at 4k? That one? :confused::eek::yuck::geek:
Since yours works that means no one else has had problems right? If it works for you then surely no one else will have issues?

When people think tech savy teens these days they mean able to use all the various bits on smartphones and apps, social media etc.

This also depends on the kid, my almost 14 year old has every console from the original NES on up (taken most of them apart for repair or cleaning) and is working on fixing my old C64, we also built his PC that he paid for this year. He and his grandfather dig through his collection of ancient PC's just to see if they can get one working. He installs 5 versions of Linux for shits and giggles.

Back in the day there was a bit of elitism that computers were difficult and you really needed to know what you are doing. Same way people who use Linux today as it requires more knowledge to use. Not implying that Linux users are elitist just that it's a niche and requires more in-depth knowledge than a windows or mac system

I for one don't miss the "good ole days" they days that you never, ever put your case back together whenever you changed anything as it never worked the first time or you'd have a device conflict, IRQ settings.

Now you plug it in, install the drivers and enjoy whatever you just purchased. That gives me back free time which I have in short supply.

More console-itis is JUST what the doctor ordered!

...said no one ever.

The only way to make a gaming experience more predictable is to stop pushing boundaries which I sincerely hope doesn't happen. That's why I do PC gaming in the first place.

There are just so many hours in a day. Sure it's cool to be able to tweak things especially when things aren't running well. But I think most people would prefer that a game just works without a lot of effort.

But I think most people would prefer that a game just works without a lot of effort.

Probably not very many on this forum. I also can't speak for anyone else but when I've introduced people to PC gaming they're amazed at how much better of an experience they can have in the right game. So long as the options are there I'll be happy but I really hope they don't want to make the gaming experience too console-like.

Not disagreeing too much with your point, more of an addendum.

There was no tweaking needed for when I played it. I set is to 1440 and every setting to max. Solid 60fps 95% of the game. What more do you need? Get off your high horse. I want to enjoy a game not chase numbers.

Since yours works that means no one else has had problems right? If it works for you then surely no one else will have issues?

So do you have a problem, or are you just whining for the sake of whining?

So do you have a problem, or are you just whining for the sake of whining?
Just a big sidetrack based on that hilarious picture.

I am actually happy for this game mode, as long as it's customizable.
I don't have many gaming problems, but my less tech-savvy friend would often get kicked off a multi-player online game because her antivirus or defrag or whatever decided to run in the middle of a game.

Yeah, that must be it, push the other extreme and make it say something I did not. Also, others typically do not have these issues with the UWP enabled games, regardless of what you would like it to be.

There are just so many hours in a day. Sure it's cool to be able to tweak things especially when things aren't running well. But I think most people would prefer that a game just works without a lot of effort.

This is exactly the reason why I end up caving and buying a console in the end in addition to maintaining a gaming capable computer - 99% of people I know personally game on console exclusively because it's plug in and go, no upgrades. Just plug it in, connect to the internet and play.

This is exactly the reason why I end up caving and buying a console in the end in addition to maintaining a gaming capable computer - 99% of people I know personally game on console exclusively because it's plug in and go, no upgrades. Just plug it in, connect to the internet and play.

I tend to do both which is why I am really liking Microsoft's Play Anywhere initiative. I love being on computers, building computer and doing the IT pro stuff I am paid to do. :) However, sometimes, I just want to leave the computer off and chill out, which is what I can do with the XBox One.

Fortunately, I think the experience for most games is like that for PCs as well today. Picked up RE 7 for the Windows Store, downloaded it, maxed at all settings, bound that HBAO killed performance, went back to SSAO and everything is smooth and beautiful at 4K. To me this is what the PC gaming experience should be. Just work but give some in game options to control a variety of settings to allow a game to scale to hardware. Provide options but make it part of the game and straightforward.

Fortunately, I think the experience for most games is like that for PCs as well today. Picked up RE 7 for the Windows Store, downloaded it, maxed at all settings, bound that HBAO killed performance, went back to SSAO and everything is smooth and beautiful at 4K. To me this is what the PC gaming experience should be. Just work but give some in game options to control a variety of settings to allow a game to scale to hardware. Provide options but make it part of the game and straightforward.

Very much agreed. I play on both types of platforms (game depending) and agree, it should just be more options and mods but no headaches for setup. I am surprised it even got as far as it has considering it started with port and irq settings and setting port speeds etc etc all from command line.

I am surprised it even got as far as it has considering it started with port and irq settings and setting port speeds etc etc all from command line.

There's always going to be a core of people that like to play around with stuff, mod, tweak, etc. to play games on a computer. It's how many of us got into computers. But there's just SO much more out there now, no one has the time and expertise to deal with every little detail of everything and have time for life.

So are you implying steam games don't work without effort? My point isn't the delivery system it's what is being delivered.

So are you implying steam games don't work without effort? My point isn't the delivery system it's what is being delivered.

My expectation of a good PC game is that it runs out of the box on a wide range of hardware and that there are good variety of in-game settings and options for graphics and controls. Combine these things with a good game and you have a good PC game.

Waiting for "New Win10 Game mode breaks twitch streaming, interestingly doesn't break facebook live integration" story to hit.

Also, I'm expecting under "learn more" that by turning on the option, you allow MS to track X, Y, and Z to "improve the experience".
I mean shouldn't it break it for the fps twitch stream really hurts fps and lets face it no one is watching you.

Very much agreed. I play on both types of platforms (game depending) and agree, it should just be more options and mods but no headaches for setup. I am surprised it even got as far as it has considering it started with port and irq settings and setting port speeds etc etc all from command line.

I'd agree with you both that the ease of setup and system configuration has come light years since the early 90's - when I started messing with computers. However, almost all the people I've talked about this to still have the perception that you still either need to buy a $4000 box from Alienware, learning to get games running on a computer "is a huge hassle", or that building your own is far more difficult and expensive than it really is. So, in the end, they say fuck it and buy a console.

And if I want to play online with them, well, I'm stuck buying one too... /shrug

Back