Windows 10 Firewall Keeps Re-Enabling Itself?

SonOfMore

Limp Gawd
I'm using TinyWall firewall on my Windows 10 box.

Whenever I go to the Windows control panel and disable Windows Firewall, it stays that way for a short while, then automatically re-enables itself without any intervention on my part.

I also have Avira Free anti-virus, and I've double-checked the settings on that program and have also "disabled" Windows Firewall through that dialog.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to use just TinyWall and bypass Windows Firewall asserting itself? Thank you!

Try this:

Windows Key + R

Type "gpedit.msc", hit OK or Enter

Navigate to "Computer Config > Administrative Templates > Network > Network connections > Windows Firewall > Domain Profile >

Double-click on "Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections" and select Disabled. Click OK at bottom.

Do the same for "Computer Config > Administrative Templates > Network > Network connections > Windows Firewall > Standard Profile >

Double-click on "Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections" and select Disabled. Click OK at bottom.

Reboot.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, TinyWall uses the windows firewall and just provides a friendly interface to the windows firewall advanced controls*. If you disable the windows firewall, you disable TinyWall.

In other words, I don't think windows firewall is reenabling itself - I think TinyWall is enabling it to ensure that TinyWall works.

* Quotes from the site:
TinyWall is a free software to harden and control the advanced firewall built into modern Windows systems.
Vista and Windows 7 include a totally new firewall technology, known as "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security". This newer version corrects most of the defects of its predecessor, and is capable of filtering IP packets based on various protocols, local or remote ports, addresses, subnetworks, application and packet direction etc., separately or in combination. It turns out, it possesses almost everything a man could ask from a firewall engine.
TinyWall addresses most of these problems: TinyWall 1) gives Windows Firewall a sane and secure configuration and 2) presents you with a simple interface where you can easily define what has network access and what not, while 3) preventing other programs from modifing or overwriting your firewall settings.

When I said I use 'Windows8 Firewall Control' to do the same thing I had people tell me there is nothing wrong with the Windows firewall UI when I said it is crap. Glad I am not alone.

When I said I use 'Windows8 Firewall Control' to do the same thing I had people tell me there is nothing wrong with the Windows firewall UI when I said it is crap. Glad I am not alone.

The UI is very bad. The capabilities are very good. Seems we have some trouble getting those to align ;).

Back