Windows 10 FCU + NV Drivers, Screen colors Darken

mda

2[H]4U
Hey all,

Would like to seek everyone's expertise in this issue I'm encountering:

Symptoms:
1. Screen will darken upon loading of NV driver almost immediately after Windows boots
2. Screen color can be corrected by entering the Nvidia Control Panel -> Adjust Desktop Color Settings --> Selecting Use NVIDIA Settings (without needing to adjust brightness/contrast/gamma)
3. Settings will not save on reboot; must do again.

Timeline:
1. Updated to Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update (FCU)
2. Noticed color darkening upon Windows startup.

Remedies attempted:
1. Updating NV drivers w/ clean install
2. Downgrading NV drivers w/ clean install
3. Installing all the other NV driver optionals (GeForce experience etc)
4. Installing ONLY the driver by using the INF

It seems the problem is related entirely to the FCU... I don't know why, though, and my other NV based systems (P50 Laptop, GTX 780 Machine) doesn't exhibit this problem. I only encounter this problem with the GTX970 system in my sig.

Both the GTX 780 and the GTX 970 machines were installed at the same time a year ago or so, and are loaded with almost the same software and drivers and are usually updated at the same time..

Any ideas for my next course of action? I'd rather not try reformatting/resetting if I can, since I can just remedy this by just entering the NV CP every reboot, but the issue itself is annoying.

Thanks!

I don't know if my Xeon is doing the same as yours as I don't normally reboot the machine or sit at it, but I did sit at it the other day and the screen was noticeably darker.
All of my other machines with Nvidia graphics look exactly the same after the FCU.

Anything wonky in the event viewer right after boot?

Also chatter about color calibration being off:
it seems to be caused by messed up Color calibration. In order to fix it, right click on the desktop, click display settings, click "Display adapter properties", then "Color management" > Advanced tab > Calibrate display.

I'll try these when I get home later as I'm currently at work. Thanks.

I'm quite sure I tried googling for this, but apparently my google-fu sucks if it's on reddit and I didn't find it.

Kind of odd that the other machines don't have it though.

I can confirm that doing the calibration thing has fixed the problem.

Thanks all!

wow... good to know that my machine isnt the only one doing this... Thanks for the information.

Does Microsoft even know what the hell they are doing with color management? Maybe instead of doing their own thing they could actually work with display and GPU manufacturers to come up with a standard that makes HDR just work.

Does Microsoft even know what the hell they are doing with color management? Maybe instead of doing their own thing they could actually work with display and GPU manufacturers to come up with a standard that makes HDR just work.

It's not only color management.

The FCU has also broken my Laptop's docking / video over USB... I have to keep re-setting/reconfiguring the monitor. Sorta defeats the purpose of having a dock.

Last edited:
FCU and Nvidia is a cluster right now. Games start with a black screen and you have to alt-tab 5 or 6 times to get the display to work, keeps resetting my audio to DP instead of the sound card. Constant web browser crashes and black screens with audio when playing video in any browser. I updated to the newest .13 driver and its still the same.

FCU and Nvidia is a cluster right now. Games start with a black screen and you have to alt-tab 5 or 6 times to get the display to work, keeps resetting my audio to DP instead of the sound card. Constant web browser crashes and black screens with audio when playing video in any browser. I updated to the newest .13 driver and its still the same.
For you, maybe. I haven't had any of these issues.

I was recently on the Fast Ring and one of the fast ring updates made my World of Warcraft Full Screen mode to be 256 color but Full Screen Windowed was just fine; it ended up being related to Windows 10's new Game Mode. Despite deactivating Game Mode for WoW on that release, it continued to be 256 color mode. Then the next update fixed it; and promptly caused the OS not to boot because it swapped in an incompatible volsnap.sys file. :mad:

Needless to say, I'm on the slow ring now.

Back