Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Introduces Two New Anti-Cheat Tools

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Windows 10 Fall Creators update includes two new anti-cheat tools: Game Monitor and TruePlay. TruePlay is a new set of tools to combat cheating within Microsoft’s PC games, and will be similar to VAC, while Game Monitor will let Windows 10 share system information with games to prevent cheating tools such as aimbots. Since this tool will share system information with Microsoft, we are certain that some PC users will be against it. Not only that, but this tool may affect single-player games.

For instance, let’s assume that a game is online-only and gamers use CheatEngine in order to – for example – enable a higher FOV. In this case, there is a high possibility that those gamers may get banned. This is a hypothetical scenario but there is no guarantee that this tool won’t get gamers into trouble. On one hand, it’s good that Microsoft is introducing these new tools. On the other hand, the company will have to adjust and tweak them in order to prevent any possible mishaps.

The fact is you can't win.

The same group whining and bitching about cheating will be the first to choke on their ramen when they hear about the fact it shares information.

See, this is a problem. It’s perfectly fine to implement this in online games, to make the playing field fair. In offline solo-play, however, who are they to say what I want to do with my games. Sometimes I want a challenge, sometimes I just want to be told a story. For example, I just played Fallout 3 a few months ago for the first time: not my kind of game, really can’t spend countless hours getting my character up to speed, so I used a trainer to max everything and progress through the story comfortably. What’s so wrong about that?

When it comes to solo play, we really need to stop tying story completion to a difficulty level. Imagine if that happened in the movies: yes, you paid your ticket, but you can’t finish Blade Runner 2049 unless you get this question about the original movie right! If you don’t, then you don’t get to see the end of the movie.

It’s ridiculous. As long as it’s not online competitive, let people play the games however they want. this is the equivalent of that annoying board game player that HAS to follow every single rule. Nobody likes you, go away. We all bend rules for comfort in all facets of life, every now and then. It’s about enjoying the moment, not doing it "right".

See, this is a problem. It’s perfectly fine to implement this in online games, to make the playing field fair. In offline solo-play, however, who are they to say what I want to do with my games. Sometimes I want a challenge, sometimes I just want to be told a story. For example, I just played Fallout 3 a few months ago for the first time: not my kind of game, really can’t spend countless hours getting my character up to speed, so I used a trainer to max everything and progress through the story comfortably. What’s so wrong about that?

When it comes to solo play, we really need to stop tying story completion to a difficulty level. Imagine if that happened in the movies: yes, you paid your ticket, but you can’t finish Blade Runner 2049 unless you get this question about the original movie right! If you don’t, then you don’t get to see the end of the movie.

It’s ridiculous. As long as it’s not online competitive, let people play the games however they want. this is the equivalent of that annoying board game player that HAS to follow every single rule. Nobody likes you, go away. We all bend rules for comfort in all facets of life, every now and then. It’s about enjoying the moment, not doing it "right".
Achievements/Trophies are what happened. Not saying it's right, but that is always the excuse that is brought up.

Achievements/Trophies are what happened. Not saying it's right, but that is always the excuse that is brought up.

There are already plenty games that disable certain achievements when in easy mode and such. However, the REAL problem is that achievements are not achievements. They're a "here you go so you feel good about it" achievements. Like "FIRST WEAPON!" or every time you complete a chapter of a game. That's not an achievement, that's just playing the game. If they allowed players to use the game as they find enjoyable, and limit achievements to actual hard tasks, things would be more logical to me.

There are already plenty games that disable certain achievements when in easy mode and such. However, the REAL problem is that achievements are not achievements. They're a "here you go so you feel good about it" achievements. Like "FIRST WEAPON!" or every time you complete a chapter of a game. That's not an achievement, that's just playing the game. If they allowed players to use the game as they find enjoyable, and limit achievements to actual hard tasks, things would be more logical to me.

Yeah, so they should have a switch where you disable achievements for a game you want to hack/cheat. I too find it to be a total BS that this affects SP games, I do whatever the hell I feel like with my games as long as it's fun for me.

OP, this is wrong.

Game Monitor was what it was called with Insider builds. If you look at the screen shot in linked article, it is exactly same as True Play. In the generally available Fall Creators Update it is called True Play and it defaults to Off.

9was8j5.png

Yeah, so they should have a switch where you disable achievements for a game you want to hack/cheat. I too find it to be a total BS that this affects SP games, I do whatever the hell I feel like with my games as long as it's fun for me.
But then now, of course, you have Bethesda saying you can still get achievements with mods so long as you pay real money for them (Creators Club).

But then now, of course, you have Bethesda saying you can still get achievements with mods so long as you pay real money for them (Creators Club).
Hah, interesting point. I haven't quite thought of mods but indeed they too can be considered a cheat if that's where it goes. FWIW they probably should only count achievements for original game and original mods and not count for 3rd party mods. TBH I would be happy if all this achievement nonsense went away for SP.

Bethesda is one of those game companies that's grown too big and no longer cares about catering to the gamer community it once served they've basically breached the don't give a **** point as a game company joining the ranks of Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft ect...too big to fail. The greed is real and the passion is gone.

This is indeed problematic. But OTOH if someone has a cheat for offline they're bound to use the cheat also online. Better to ban them all and for good.

It's windows 10 store UWP apps only. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:
I am down with anti multiplayer cheat systems. They do however get false positives sometimes and that is truly annoying. I can't count how many games I got kicked out of by PunkBuster in battlefield to find out I needed to go manually update it again and reinstall the battlefield again... So if it works and works well without the stupid false positives then hey sure.

I think cheats are perfectly fine on non anti cheat servers. It offers a different type of play style wall hacks are fun. To be fair I find playing against a wall hacker and using wall hacks in turn more competitive than neither using wall hacks having tried it both ways. It's way more intense and eliminates the most glaring pitfall of FPS games camping which can be really annoying and boring if not a lot of players are actively online. It basically gives you more of a n64 James Bond experience which is fine.

I'd say it's probably just so Microsoft doesn't need to do it on a game by game basis for their in house games. Candy Crush needs it's anti cheats don't hate.

Back