Windows 10 Editions Compared

God I remember trying to get dailup modems to work years ago.. lol.. I actually bought an external serial modem since they worked reliably and easily.
It really is so much better now.

WinModem's didn't work. I had to buy a US Robotics external modem with serial connection to get online with Linux. Worked great, too.

Fun times. :) Now, damn near anything works....

Is this the annual 'M$ sucks, Linux rocks, Wind0ze is useless and Linux on desktop is going to work *this* year' thread?

I'm getting Windows 10 on my main pc the moment it comes out. I'm excited, haven't been this excited for an OS release from MS since Windows 7, and before that Windows 2000

Its unfair to just go "Linux" on all, heck there are a plenitude of Linux flavors where several offer very good out of the box support for all kinds of HW. Unfortunately it takes a little tech savvy to actually download and burn the disc/usb (minimal but still a hurdle for mass adoption) but after that its as easy (if not easier) than to install Windows.

Heck if one is too Windows centric there are even Windows lookalike setups to go for...

Now with that said, for an overall user experience Windows takes less work to get random HW crap to work properly and of course if you are any kind of gamer you pretty much have to go Windows.

I personally use Windows as my main desktop and run X windows to work with my other boxes, one integrated main environment with HW spread all over the home and other networks (X11 is awesome, just wish they could reboot it since its base design is a bit old and it has its issues for a FULL modern desktop integration).

Is this the annual 'M$ sucks, Linux rocks, Wind0ze is useless and Linux on desktop is going to work *this* year' thread?

Of course. Any time there's a new Windows version coming out the fanboys have to come and whine about it and talk about how much better their choice is. Same shit as when a new video card comes out and the fanboys of the other vendor have to attack it. Some people can't be happy with their choice, they have to try and convert others to make themselves feel like they made the right choice.

I say what I always say: I'll switch when you can show me how Linux does 100% of the things I want to do without compromise. Until then, no reason since Windows already does that.

Yep and its easily one of the most moronic decisions MS has ever made. You could improve the windows experience for millions of people who could just have their grand kids or friends login and fix their computers. Or you could leave it as is now with people moving in droves to apple due to bugs and misunderstandings.

Since this has always been the case that remote desktop is not included in home editions, could you point to me the statistics showing how people have moved 'in droves' to Apple since the Windows XP days?

Ive been mostly okay with home, but so many "fixes"/"hacks" whatever seem to rely on gpm. I wonder if I should get pro just for that.

Except that if linux was actually useful to the masses it'd be mainstream by now.

I wish people would give up on linux. Sure, it has its uses, but it is not main stream...let it go.

Sure, lets let it go so that Microsoft can keep its 90+% market share. What could probably go wrong? :rolleyes:

BTW, the reason Windows 10 is free is because of Linux/Android. Thank your Linux for the free Windows 10 upgrade, while it lasts. Once 1 year passes and Microsoft doesn't have to worry about Linux, they'll continue to charge you a overpriced $100 to buy the OS.

Did you make sure to go on and on and on about how you're the good guy and how bad windows is inbetween running command lines? I bet she's proud of you.
Modern Linux distros don't need you to use Terminal commands. If you've ever used modern linux you'd know this. I had to install Gparted yesterday and used terminal because it's quicker and easier for me than dealing with the software store.

You pretty much define the problem, you have never used it. And one could ask this very simple question why do RDP and remote assistance even exist as separate products? By making 2 separate products MS only made it that much for the lay persons to know what to look for. Wouldn't even surprise me if RA is somehow back ended by RDP. I wont even get into possible router and port forwarding issues which somehow can cripple something with MS but other solutions have no problem going through. Also in order to use RA in an even remotely easy manner you need to run windows 7 or later. Sometimes with some products MS needs to make patches for older operating systems so people can keep them all connected. Despite what MS thinks their client base is not like apples where you can just break something and everyone will run out and buy a whole new machine.

This is actually a somewhat common problem with MS products. They are a huge organization and different teams work on different solutions to similar stuff and there doesn't seem to be someone like "Jobs" catching these overlaps in functionality and getting them to build a cohesive solution.

ANOTHER remote tool example is Lync... Our organization literally disabled UAC because lync screen sharing cannot display or access the secure desktop. Lync is a tool that is easy to find people and walk them through requesting help (easier than ADUCS and other tools) and is accessible to everyone even non-IT (power users for training etc).

Apparently a LOT of other customers have requested that Lync (well Skype now) support UAC/Secure desktop and MS responded "It's not intended to be used for that"... Well obviously your "intentions" are wrong cause customers will use features that are actually useful. SURPRISE customers like easy to use things, imagine that!

So I guess enough big customers have requested this they are going to look at implementing it... who knows. This one feature (and lack of an actual easy to use, integrated remote support tool) is hold us back form using UAC (nutz isn't it).

IF MS was a government agency we would hear nothing but how they are wasting our tax dollars with duplicate functionality crap like this... IMO people don't understand every big organization has organization problems like this... who wouldn't its harder to manage that many people features and products.

I'm getting Windows 10 on my main pc the moment it comes out. I'm excited, haven't been this excited for an OS release from MS since Windows 7, and before that Windows 2000

Glad to hear somebody is excited about something related to operating systems. Don't know why but good for you.

Personally, I'll sit on the fence with W7 for a while longer...because it's perfect now.

So the only major difference I can see between enterprise and education is that education can't use the Long Term Servicing Branch option for updates. As many times as we have had issues with windows patches over the years I can't see that being a plus to anyone. There would have to major discount for us to move away from enterprise.

Yep and its easily one of the most moronic decisions MS has ever made. You could improve the windows experience for millions of people who could just have their grand kids or friends login and fix their computers. Or you could leave it as is now with people moving in droves to apple due to bugs and misunderstandings.

Absolutely right. If only there was a free alternative that would allow remote connection that is secure, maybe even a browser extension... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Windows 10 must be great (and I concur), seeing that you never liked windows 8/8.1 iirc.

well if you have Ultimate, then with the free upgrade you'll get Ultimate aswell ;)

i got Home, so i'll get home :(
I'm looking forward to the point where I can use Linux for my PC instead of Windows. But GTA V and Witcher 3 aren't on Linux and won't work in Wine so Microsoft has me by the balls.

Screw you guys, I'm going Windows home.

f50ccf6960325a30500300e716154bbc4a05918ff13a6427b05c3fdee265b9e3.jpg

I adopted removable drive trays years ago. I have a stack of them setting next to me. Ubuntu, Slackware, various Win 7, 8, 8.1, 10. Operating systems each bring certain strengths. Its good to have choices.

WinModem's didn't work. I had to buy a US Robotics external modem with serial connection to get online with Linux. Worked great, too.

Fun times. :) Now, damn near anything works....

Same modem I bought I think, it was actually a great buy in the long run even if it was expensive at the time, it pulled a lot better connection with less CPU overhead in Windows too as it turned out. I used that thing for a loooong time. QuakeWorld was much better. :D

Windows isn't "mainstream", because the collective IQ of the "mainstream" is somewhere between 0 and a nebulous value somewhere below 1.

The majority of the users don't want or need to know how/why a system does something. They're good little luddite consumers.

Linux never was, and never will be this. It'll be a toolset that pretty much always requires at least a smidgeon of ACTUAL brainpower to comprehend and use.

LOL!!!

I nearly pissed myself reading that!

You need pro to rdp into (host).....you can use (most)any other to client in with. For all else; Teamviewer.

Just my opinion of people who bitch about stuff they are unwilling to take the time to learn even the tiniest fraction about.

I've had multiple people tell me Linux was pointless because they couldn't just buy any piece of Windows software off the shelf at Worst Buy and install it on a Linux system...

:rolleyes:

So, yeah. I stand by my judgement.

Using clever buzz words like this doesn't help your case...or your credibility.

I've had multiple people tell me Linux was pointless because they couldn't just buy any piece of Windows software off the shelf at Worst Buy and install it on a Linux system...

And this is in a nutshell the problem with Linux for general purpose computing. The main purpose of technology is to make the difficult easier and the impossible possible. How many horror stories have experienced IT workers witnessed simply because of obsession with technology for technology's sake?

Computers should serve the will of people, not the other way around. Until they become sentient and kill all humans.;)

Sure, lets let it go so that Microsoft can keep its 90+% market share. What could probably go wrong? :rolleyes:

BTW, the reason Windows 10 is free is because of Linux/Android. Thank your Linux for the free Windows 10 upgrade, while it lasts. Once 1 year passes and Microsoft doesn't have to worry about Linux, they'll continue to charge you a overpriced $100 to buy the OS.

Modern Linux distros don't need you to use Terminal commands. If you've ever used modern linux you'd know this. I had to install Gparted yesterday and used terminal because it's quicker and easier for me than dealing with the software store.

First, who cares if you get it for free THEN have to pay after you've already got it free?

And, at this point, have no intention to upgrade to 10...so it really is a moot point.

Using clever buzz words like this doesn't help your case...or your credibility.

People were using the phrase "Worst Buy" buy refereeing to Best Buy for around as long as people have been declaring the year of desktop Linux. So not that clever.

Linux is extremely useful for a lot of things except for "ease of use or rather ease of getting help when needed" and gaming. That is why the majority (90%+) including myself stick with Windows even though I could easily switch to Linux with my back ground.

People were using the phrase "Worst Buy" buy refereeing to Best Buy for around as long as people have been declaring the year of desktop Linux. So not that clever.

I know it isn't, I was just making a point.

I sincerely doubt this. There isn't some mass exodus to Linux waiting in the wings if they charge $40 again (like what I paid for Win8 upgrades) or even full price. MS's worst competition is MS - in the form of Windows 7.

I read if you replace the motherboard you will have to buy a copy anyway for a major makeover of a PC.

So... What free version are we getting if we have 8.1 pro installed ?

Back