Windows 10 Delivers Updates Using Peer-To-Peer Technology

no issues or me as long as file signatures are still from Microsoft and are using better than mad5/sha-1 hashes.
and a possible throttling for out of house traffic.

iI wish more games would take this approach to accelerate path downloading I'm looking at you FFXI with your 7 hours Patch download speed....

I have a number of questions.

My biggest concern is upload bandwidth. Are there any built-in limits or does it simply use as much upload bandwidth as is available? Does it only "upload" while it's downloading or does it continue to seed the update files afterward? If so, how long does it seed for? Forever?

This is pretty much my only concern, though only because of caps. If there were no caps on bandwidth, it wouldn't matter to me at all. I'm not aware of any p2p risk, though I guess there'd be far more research by malware providers if MS uses it.

The major pro is that it will potentially result in much faster downloads.

This is such a bad idea. Why would I want my computer to broadcast what remote exploits and vulnerabilities it has?

I don't like this because I'm on ADSL and that means that if I upload at more than 50% capacity, it means my download speeds and latency tank hard. I'll have to find a way to disable uploading.

P2P looks like a feature that can be helpful and exploitable at the same time. The NSA is spending millions of dollars to circumvent Apple's iOS however they will probably spend less with getting Microsoft to look the other way when it comes to rouge computers sending along an altered update with additional code signed by Microsoft.

Why?
I like my updates to come from a trusted central location.

No shit man. It's not like we don't have enough malware sources as it is. WTH is Microsoft thinking?

You just know there will be a hacker competition to see who can crack this first.

I give it 3 days from release.

The NSA server would love to supply you with windows updates.

Don't usually allow peer to peer workstation traffic to clamp down on malware propagation but I can see a benefit to this for reducing traffic bottleneck at WAN sites unless you already have a method in place such as Riverbed WAN acceleration/caching.

That is what WSUS is for.

Companies would never do this. Too much of a security risk for them. I might be a bit wary even for my home computer.

Companies would never do this. Too much of a security risk for them. I might be a bit wary even for my home computer.
Companies would ever do this. Too much bandwidth savings for them. I might be a bit eager even for my home computer.

Source: too cheap to pay for internet

(also, you're being absolute in your statement, so I therefore have made an absolute counter-response.)

Ehh i could see the option to get from local pc being turned on in business.

all it takes is one hacker to Crack the signing sequence to make his virus look like a legit update. He then has mirosoft propagate it for him. And before you say unlikely that is what Sony has been saying in regards to PS3 and psn security.

Back