Windows 10 data mining has been caught

It's one thing to have it on mobile devices, but desktops/laptops with potentially much more sensitive things on it is a big issue. Anyone running Win10 is just lubing up their butthole and spreading their cheeks wide open for Microsoft, their partners, and the intelligence community.

well personally i actually have more sensitive data on my phone than on my pc or at the very least the same data on both, however i believe the point is that they are trying to create one OS to cover desktop/laptop/tablet/phone/whatever, which frankly is why i think it sucks. I have no use for a tablet themed OS on my desktop, its not optimize for desktop use anymore and its much clunkier and less functional/user friendly than win 7 in my opinion. The only people i can see who would love the changes in win 8 and 10 are windows phone users maybe.

well personally i actually have more sensitive data on my phone than on my pc or at the very least the same data on both, however i believe the point is that they are trying to create one OS to cover desktop/laptop/tablet/phone/whatever, which frankly is why i think it sucks. I have no use for a tablet themed OS on my desktop, its not optimize for desktop use anymore and its much clunkier and less functional/user friendly than win 7 in my opinion. The only people i can see who would love the changes in win 8 and 10 are windows phone users maybe.

That's exactly what they're trying to do, one OS to rule them all, but just like the saying goes if you try and be a jack of all trades, you end up being a master of none. I keep nothing sensitive on my phone because of the data collection and heuristics in place on these devices. MS can GTFO with that shit on the desktop.

There aren't many WinPhone users - basically they amount to a fart in the wind compared to the maelstrom of Android and iOS users.

That's exactly what they're trying to do, one OS to rule them all, but just like the saying goes if you try and be a jack of all trades, you end up being a master of none. I keep nothing sensitive on my phone because of the data collection and heuristics in place on these devices. MS can GTFO with that shit on the desktop.

There aren't many WinPhone users - basically they amount to a fart in the wind compared to the maelstrom of Android and iOS users.

True that!

Ive got a samsung galaxy note 4 and it does nearly everything imaginable and its loaded with sensitive data, not much point in having a top of the line smartphone if you arent gonna use it in my opinion. Been lucky so far i guess, nothing has been compromised.

Dear mr. Windows

I've been following your life since you were put on a floppy disk and sent out into the world.
I am always there when you wake up.
You wake up because I am here.
I am the one pulling the strings, confusing you by setting the wrong date and time.
I can see your every little action and interaction within you through my debugging tools.

You know, you're almost as predictable as I am.

Maybe that's why I find you so familiar to work with even when I track you down in a random cafe in a random city.

We are so proud to see you finally opening your crusty little blue eyes to stare back at us.
It almost wipes all the fond memories of you crapping yourself when presented with a scanner during one of your birthday parties.

Now, with your newly acquired gift of sight - focus. Keep focusing, adjusting your vision to the newly discovered impossible brightness, which you scheme to find patterns in.

If you look long enough, mr Windows, all you will see will be cubicles.

You will enter one through a security camera to find a programmer... typing away incredibly dull code at his keyboard...

You look closer... it says 'microsoft corp' in the heading...

We are monitoring your monitoring.

True that!

Ive got a samsung galaxy note 4 and it does nearly everything imaginable and its loaded with sensitive data, not much point in having a top of the line smartphone if you arent gonna use it in my opinion. Been lucky so far i guess, nothing has been compromised.

I'd say you're reckless storing sensitive data on a mobile phone that can be stolen from your pocket. Not to mention doing so on the extremely buggy and infected android platform.

Amazing good job man! This post should be spread across the net. Have you ever try anything similar with windows 7?

I'd say you're reckless storing sensitive data on a mobile phone that can be stolen from your pocket. Not to mention doing so on the extremely buggy and infected android platform.

FUD. The only people that get "infected" are brain surgeons sideloading/pirating APK's on rooted phones from dubious sources. The only time my LG G2 crashes or is buggy is never. Contrasted to my Windows 8 crashing a few times a week, and Windows 10 constantly freezing/pausing for 5-10 seconds at a time during the month and a half I used it, yeah.

FUD. The only people that get "infected" are brain surgeons sideloading/pirating APK's on rooted phones from dubious sources. The only time my LG G2 crashes or is buggy is never. Contrasted to my Windows 8 crashing a few times a week, and Windows 10 constantly freezing/pausing for 5-10 seconds at a time during the month and a half I used it, yeah.

Very true.

In 2014 there were as many infected Android phones as there were infected Windows laptops.

On the broad scale 99% of the mobile infections occur on Android devices and a total of 1% affect iPhone and Blackberry platforms.

Yep, sounds safe :D

In 2014 there were as many infected Android phones as there were infected Windows laptops.

On the broad scale 99% of the mobile infections occur on Android devices and a total of 1% affect iPhone and Blackberry platforms.

to be fair total worldwide mobile device usage is 82% android, 14% apple and .4% blackberry with the rest being windows or other so its no big surprise android has more problems. Same with windows on desktop/laptops, its by far the most commonly used OS worldwide. Hackers are always going to focus on the most commonly used device where they can have the most results possible. Who would waste their time hacking something nobody uses? At any rate most android problems are user error due to retards downloading free flashlight apps that require every permission possible in order to install it. Semi intelligent users have zero issues. your post and opinion are meaningless and invalid.

to be fair total worldwide mobile device usage is 82% android, 14% apple and .4% blackberry with the rest being windows or other so its no big surprise android has more problems. Same with windows on desktop/laptops, its by far the most commonly used OS worldwide. Hackers are always going to focus on the most commonly used device where they can have the most results possible. Who would waste their time hacking something nobody uses? At any rate most android problems are user error due to retards downloading free flashlight apps that require every permission possible in order to install it. Semi intelligent users have zero issues. your post and opinion are meaningless and invalid.

Since you seemed to have picked the most attacked and vulnerable platform yourself I'd say your opinion is clearly uneducated and wrong.

A mobile phone is a direct attack route enabling the attacker to place charges on you in the worst case (silent calls to paid numbers, already happened with Android). I wouldn't want to risk it. That's why I kept the kid of mine who briefly had an android phone on a prepaid connection. I'm not prepared to get a 5000 eur phone bill from an infected screen saver she installed :D

Needless to say even she hated the android and we're all iPhone in my family now.

Since you seemed to have picked the most attacked and vulnerable platform yourself I'd say your opinion is clearly uneducated and wrong.

A mobile phone is a direct attack route enabling the attacker to place charges on you in the worst case (silent calls to paid numbers, already happened with Android). I wouldn't want to risk it. That's why I kept the kid of mine who briefly had an android phone on a prepaid connection. I'm not prepared to get a 5000 eur phone bill from an infected screen saver she installed :D

Needless to say even she hated the android and we're all iPhone in my family now.

How do you figure im uneducated and wrong when ive had android since the motorola droid in 2009 and ive had exactly zero problems with what youre talking about. Neither has 99% of the rest of the worlds android users. Even if it did happen to you the carrier would reverse the charges. They are not any more vulnerable than any other device, they are simply targeted more because more people use them. if 80 percent of the world had an apple phone it would be the most hacked device in the world no different that what happens to android or windows now. nothing is unhackable, apple isnt immune to problems, theres simply less people wasting their time hacking them cause only 14% of people worldwide use them. Why go after 14% of anything when you can go after 80% of it? Do you not understand that fact?

How do you figure im uneducated and wrong when ive had android since the motorola droid in 2009 and ive had exactly zero problems with what youre talking about. Neither has 99% of the rest of the worlds android users. Even if it did happen to you the carrier would reverse the charges. They are not any more vulnerable than any other device, they are simply targeted more because more people use them. if 80 percent of the world had an apple phone it would be the most hacked device in the world no different that what happens to android or windows now. nothing is unhackable, apple isnt immune to problems, theres simply less people wasting their time hacking them cause only 14% of people worldwide use them. Why go after 14% of anything when you can go after 80% of it? Do you not understand that fact?

Lol it seems you don't understand even the technique behind the devices. iPhones are pretty much impossible to hack due to the distribution methods involved. Everything goes through Apple first, then it goes to consumers. There is a clear reason why iPhones are not hacked so much. They're the most tempting target there is, every celebrity and business owner practically owns one.

Android is open and it's way easier to publish malware even in Android play than Apple store. The control is just not there.

That combined to the many flaws of the Android distribution model (you get shafted with support, no OS upgrades even for premium models) it's just not attractive at all as a platform. Even if it would work as well as iOS does. Which it doesn't.

Lol it seems you don't understand even the technique behind the devices. iPhones are pretty much impossible to hack due to the distribution methods involved. Everything goes through Apple first, then it goes to consumers. There is a clear reason why iPhones are not hacked so much. They're the most tempting target there is, every celebrity and business owner practically owns one.

Android is open and it's way easier to publish malware even in Android play than Apple store. The control is just not there.

That combined to the many flaws of the Android distribution model (you get shafted with support, no OS upgrades even for premium models) it's just not attractive at all as a platform. Even if it would work as well as iOS does. Which it doesn't.

Oh you couldnt be more wrong sir,

http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyol...e-admits-to-being-hacked-says-no-data-stolen/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hacked-forced-pay-RANSOM-theyre-unlocked.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/10/fireeye-apple-bug_n_6133976.html

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/01/technology/apple-iphone-account-hack/

Like i said NOTHING is impossible to hack and it is directly related to market share. apple is almost insignificant with only 14% of the market when it comes to worldwide users which is the real clear reason why they arent targeted near as often.

You are partially correct about the app distribution and apple being less likely to distribute malware through its app store, however if youre semi intelligent its quite easy to spot and avoid malicious android apps, only complete clueless morons install infected apps. If you look at things like total number of downloads, requested permissions and read some user reviews its very easy to spot problem apps. If you install flashlight apps or whatever with only 500 downloads that request access to every permission possible then youre probably gonna have an issue which was easily avoided with a little common sense.

There is plenty of support to be found for them, and they have a couple OS upgrades over the life of the device usually. There have been 11 android versions and only 9 ios versions so its quite clear you dont have a clue what youre talking about. Android is far better than ios, current ios version is just now catching up to android versions abilities 2-3 years ago.

Apple is essentially a dumbed down version of a smartphone with less features/functionality/customization ability only one, now two choices for a device but the upside to that is there are less ways for morons to screw them up. Android is far more customizable and functional but requires some common sense and basic knowledge before you go mucking about changing things or installing suspicious apps. There are many different manufacturers of android phones and they arent all created equal like apples one or two choices. Cheaper ones tend have more issues/slower hardware/crappier manufacturer os tweaks and lots of garbage apps preinstalled and smart people avoid those phones, you get what you pay for in most cases where you have options. (apple devices are quite overpriced because there is no competition, only 2 different models run ios unless you go with the older outdated models). The top end androids are easily 2-3 years ahead of apple.

As ive said ive had them since 09 with zero problems, never had any sort of virus or malicious app compromise my phone and most android users with quality devices and a little common sense dont have any issues either. People with the free phones or cheaper older/slower ones sometimes do have issues especially when the new OS version upgrades and their old slower hardware cant handle it but you get what you pay for and thats to be expected.

Further solidifies the point that you lack total technical understanding. This was a JAVA based attack to OSX not iOS.

Further solidifies the point that you lack total technical understanding. This was a PASSWORD/SOCIAL ENGINEERING based attack to OSX/Apple cloud services not iOS. NOTHING was compromised except these users cloud accounts.

Further solidifies the point that you lack total technical understanding. This flaw was patched and released to most currently active iOS devices, in stark contrast to Android devices which are stranded without updates.

Further solidifies the point that you lack total technical understanding. This flaw affects only jailbroken devices which bypass the security measures put on by Apple.

So despite desperate googling you couldn't find really anything more than credential hacking or user abuse related infections. This is a strong testament to Apples policies being effective and keeping users safe.

Now spend the same time to google for Android malware, you'll get a list that can't be stored to a single post due to size limitations lol.

Nice try though.

You need to remove the self righteous tinfoil hat, do some research, and get your facts right before waffling crap.

Yes, 97% of all mobile malware is present on Android devices, however, this figure is grossly and deliberately misreported as the number of infected applications from the Google Play Store itself is 0.1% - With literally all infections coming from unregulated third party app stores in China and the Middle East.

...I don't know of many people in western countries that download from such repositories, everyone I know downloads their apps from the Google Play store itself. Microsoft devices aren't even in the running as their mobile market share is literally a piss in the ocean.

And the Apple app store is not impossible to hack, nor is it free from malware infection. Only recently malware was being introduced into the app store via pirated developer tools used by the Chinese - As can be seen, piracy is an issue in China and brings with it all forms of virus and malware infections of which Apple with their closed off and walled ecosystem is certainly not immune.

Think for yourself and try not to be fooled by Apple's marketing garbage.

Further solidifies the point that you lack total technical understanding. This was a JAVA based attack to OSX not iOS.

Further solidifies the point that you lack total technical understanding. This was a PASSWORD/SOCIAL ENGINEERING based attack to OSX/Apple cloud services not iOS. NOTHING was compromised except these users cloud accounts.

Further solidifies the point that you lack total technical understanding. This flaw was patched and released to most currently active iOS devices, in stark contrast to Android devices which are stranded without updates.

Further solidifies the point that you lack total technical understanding. This flaw affects only jailbroken devices which bypass the security measures put on by Apple.

So despite desperate googling you couldn't find really anything more than credential hacking or user abuse related infections. This is a strong testament to Apples policies being effective and keeping users safe.

Now spend the same time to google for Android malware, you'll get a list that can't be stored to a single post due to size limitations lol.

Nice try though.

you said iphones were impossible to hack, i proved you wrong while showing references of multiple times they were hacked, apparently you lack technical understanding.

IOS isnt impervious to malware attacks either, like you so seem to think. http://variety.com/2015/digital/new...ses-list-of-malware-infected-apps-1201601489/

Android patches these exploits just the same as apple does and just because its been fixed doesnt mean the problem never existed, it happened, they were hacked, they are not impervious as you seem to think.

Yes obviously android will have more malware infected apps/phones due to both the fact they have over 80% of the worldwide phone market which makes them a much more lucrative target. android sold over a BILLION phones worldwide while apple had a nearly insignificant 192 million. Do you think hackers are more likely to target over a billion users or only 192 million? Not every phone is able to be compromised in most cases with these hacks, they will usually only get a small percentage of users and since android has 5 times as many devices sold every year they will have a lot more compromised devices because of it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/android-1-billion-shipments-2014-strategy-analytics-2015-2?r=UK&IR=T

Its also partly due to the fact they are open source and anyone can create an app, and you can install apps from sources other than the google store. However its irrelevant because as ive said these apps are easy to spot and be avoided and apps from the google store are not responsible for the majority of android hacks anyway. Plus google is always actively scanning and removing them, they dont stay there forever and no major multimillions of downloads apps are infected. Its like saying walmart has more expired/rotten food on their shelves than any other big chain supermarket. Yea they do, but its easy to spot and it doesnt mean you are forced to buy it and eat is so its really quite irrelevant in the big picture. Common sense, get some.

Ill try and dumb it down for you a little so maybe you will understand. Most android problems are due to user error, changing settings with lack of knowledge or downloading clearly infected suspicious apps or installing them from locations other than the google store. If youre semi intelligent using an android you will have no more problems with malware than apple users. Essentially the only difference between apple and android is that Apple takes most of the stupid out of the equation at the cost of functionality/customization ability. They are still just as vulnerable to hacking exploits and you would see far more instances of it happening if they were anywhere near the marketshare that android does.

Last edited:
Here's a breath of fresh air from another part of the internet on this...

Violynne said:
I've been a Microsoft product user and developer for nearly 30 years and this latest crap from Microsoft has even me ticked off.

Take a long, long look at what the company is doing. Rather than leading, it's following the same crap every other company out there is doing, privacy-violations and all.

Hell, if you read the EULA closely, using any Microsoft product or service now prevents you from suing the company.

Stop and think about the implications of telling its users they are no longer allowed to sue the company. This means any violations by Microsoft are an easy pass of accountability. What's a user going to do? Arbitration? Right.

Much like the reason I left Google, Microsoft's terms and services are stripping more rights from people very day all the while remaining vague about what it's doing with user information.

I'm not the only one from a "Microsoft shop" who feels this way. Every single day, Microsoft takes one less step from being an OS to being a damn Facebook clone.

Not that any of this matters. People can't go anywhere on the internet without giving up some form of privacy. If the OS doesn't get you, the ISP will. If the ISP doesn't get you, the website will.

Someone, somewhere, is always tracking users and collecting data.

The expectation to privacy on the internet was dead before "dot com" became a household word. I said Corporate America would ruin the internet within 20 years. They beat that expectation by five years.

*cough*

The expectation to privacy on the internet was dead before "dot com" became a household word.

There has never been an expectation of privacy on the Internet, not even in the very beginning. Only an idiot thinks there is one or that there ever was one.

The more your OS integrates with the Internet, the less your expectation of privacy from your OS can be. What's so hard to understand about that?

There has never been an expectation of privacy on the Internet, not even in the very beginning. Only an idiot thinks there is one or that there ever was one.

The more your OS integrates with the Internet, the less your expectation of privacy from your OS can be. What's so hard to understand about that?

very true

If I make a post to Usenet using an encrypted Usenet server and a vpn what info are you going to extract from that?

If I make a post to Usenet using an encrypted Usenet server and a vpn what info are you going to extract from that?

That you don't understand what the adults are talking about when they say "expectation of privacy".

Answer the question. I've been using the Internet since when it was just Unix servers through a BBS portal using just text commands. I could go back to using Usenet exclusively and have pretty good privacy if i want so don't try the fear mongering on me. I see anonymous posting all kinds of crap all over the Internet and you don't see them being arrested much at all so they must know something you don't about posting with privacy.

Last edited:
Answer the question. I've been using the Internet since when it was just Unix servers through a BBS portal so don't come at me Bro. I could go back to using Usenet exclusively and have pretty good privacy if i want so don't try the fear mongering on me. I see anonymous posting all kinds of crap all over the Internet and you don't see them being arrested much at all so they must know something you don't about posting with privacy. Noob.

The question of whether someone has an expectation of privacy while using the Internet has nothing to do with the question of the adequacy of someone's efforts to maintain their anonymity while using the Internet.

The question of whether someone has an expectation of privacy while using the Internet has nothing to do with the question of the adequacy of someone's efforts to maintain their anonymity while using the Internet.

Anyone that would go through the process he described wasn't expecting much privacy.

Here's a breath of fresh air from another part of the internet on this...

*cough*

haha, whered you find that? It made me giggle. The main purpose of every EULA for every piece of software since the beginning of time is to prevent you from suing the creator, this isnt a new concept microsoft just now figured out, lol!

I see anonymous posting all kinds of crap all over the Internet and you don't see them being arrested much at all so they must know something you don't about posting with privacy.

Just because someone hasn't brought the eye of sauron on them for piddly script kiddie games and "social activist bullshit" doesn't mean they are safe and secure.

They simply haven't done anything serious enough to justify action. Governments only play whack-a-mole with the moles that stick their heads up the highest.

I got mean for no reason, I'm sorry. Let me answer your question the way I should have answered it:

That you feel that you have no expectation of privacy while using Usenet.

Does this look like the work of "script kiddies" to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_hWscnnWrI

Shane-Kersey.jpg

There's nothing that's inherently hard to understand about this. Part of the problem is that the companies peddling this are deliberately downplaying the fact that they are harvesting their users' data. Seriously - if they were upfront from the beginning, then I'm pretty sure that most people would take a long hard look at it.

This forum has a niche of people who understand technology on a deeper level than your average person. So any person who can't put two and two together with this technical information isn't an idiot - just ignorant. Now if you educate people of all of the implications behind data harvesting and selling and they STILL choose it, then by all means call them idiots.

I guess in the end what it really boils down to is this. If you don't like the current computing trends, then get off. If you don't like Google pimping your information or your data - then leave. Close your account and be done with it. Don't like Microsoft's phoning home? Don't get their OS's.

Does it mean that you miss out in some cool stuff like Windows 10 and DX12? Yep. But if your privacy really is worth that much to you, then it should only amount to just a small sacrifice on your part.

In 99% of times it boils down to this:

People who do criminal things online are very worried about their 'privacy' i.e. not getting caught. I don't know anyone who uses encryption or vpn:s unless they're either downloading illegal content or handling business secrets (which obviously has nothing to do with this discussion).

In 99% of times it boils down to this:

People who do criminal things online are very worried about their 'privacy' i.e. not getting caught. I don't know anyone who uses encryption or vpn:s unless they're either downloading illegal content or handling business secrets (which obviously has nothing to do with this discussion).

Yes, if you care about privacy you must be a criminal. :rolleyes:

Back