Windows 10 cyclic temperature spikes on Ryzen 3900X

I just jumped into an AMD system again and here is probably the best explanation that I've found. Straight from AMD.

*cough*rule 25*cough**hack**weeze*

On topic though, this is pretty typical behavior for basically any system running Win10, unless you deliberately strip it of all the active processes it usually runs in the background that you probably had no idea even existed. Even basic things like just manipulating windows or icons will cause system processes like DWM to start working and create short bursts of activity that will raise your CPU load just enough to increase temps a couple degrees. If you're seeing drastic 8-10c spikes though, it could also be something simple but less obvious like a less than perfect cooler install that is lacking a bit in mounting pressure, leaving idle temps relatively unaffected, but exaggerating load temps.

It certainly runs lots of garbage in the background. A bunch of them you can't even delete in the apps section.

use the system and watch for fluctuation. i thought you tested stuff...
Just watch the process cpu usage column under the active processes tab and it will correspond to the ramping of the fan within a brief delay of course due to response time latency of the main boards fan system. My annoying process was an acronis true image process constantly doing something annoying lol. Uninstalled that program and no more ramping.
Yep, I do test stuff - The reason I asked about how to use Process Lasso to isolate an app that was causing the core boost/temperature spikes was because I found absolutely no correlation between the temperature spikes and app=>CPU usage shown by Process Lasso. I figured that I must be missing something or doing something wrong. Instead, it looks like Process Lasso isn't an effective analysis tool for tracking down the apps causing spikes in my system.
*cough*rule 25*cough**hack**weeze*
On topic though, this is pretty typical behavior for basically any system running Win10, unless you deliberately strip it of all the active processes it usually runs in the background that you probably had no idea even existed. Even basic things like just manipulating windows or icons will cause system processes like DWM to start working and create short bursts of activity that will raise your CPU load just enough to increase temps a couple degrees. If you're seeing drastic 8-10c spikes though, it could also be something simple but less obvious like a less than perfect cooler install that is lacking a bit in mounting pressure, leaving idle temps relatively unaffected, but exaggerating load temps.
Sorry ... sorry ... back to topic. :oops:

doubletake - I just replaced my thermal compound on my Noctua NH-D15, replacing the Noctua NT-H1 with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut a week or so ago. My CPU temperatures dropped slightly (about 1 DegC) or so on average from the NT-H1. I'm pretty sure I have my NH-D15 installed properly, both set screws were tight and couldn't turn further.

oshia86 - Thanks for that post from AMD! I will chew through that.

Back