Windows 10 Creators update + sleep mode, instant wakeup after sleep suddenly?

markm75

Gawd
I'm at the end of my wits here trying to figure out what is going on with my pc..

I have an overclocked pc, to 4.6 which has been rock stable.. sleep mode has worked fine.. i choose sleep and it stays asleep..

I decided to wipe my C drive on my samsung Evo ssd (no samsung software running).. and start clean.. i also tested this on my older test image, same issue..

If i choose sleep, it instantly comes back out of sleep (same with doing a shutdown too, though if i shutdown from bios no issue)..

I've tried everything.. i've tried viewing the wake events, nothing really there as a clue..
I've tried setting wake timers to disabled.. tried setting the nic card power management to off.. tried disabling the nic too.. saw that the mouse and keyboard are set to wake, set those to disabled for waking, no change.. tried pulling every usb from the machine.. still the same.

I've also tried updating via device manager various drivers, using the update button, some did update, but made no difference

Some of the commands i've used include:
powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
powercfg /requests

Also ran the sleepstudy option, but when it says woke up, cause is "unknown"

Again, this all worked fine about 10 days ago on the old OS, its the new one giving it fits (and technically my older test win 10 image too for some reason).

I went into the bios and disabled the overclock for the most part, basically took my ratio from 46 to 43 (i7-6700k).. same difference, so i'm thinking its not bios overclock related.

Only thing left might be the PSU or some weird software glitch i guess? Unsure.

About the only thing i can see that might be going on, is that at idle, or i think idle, seems the cursor is turning into the spinning blue icon every 20 seconds or so for an instant.. (I need to double check that this is the case at idle)

Anyone ran into this and have some suggestions?

Last edited:
I do believe in a clean state that windows device manager is occasionally flickering.. possibly due to the "generic superspeed usb hub" device, or one of them. Perhaps something amiss with the z170-a motherboard/drivers in some way.. i'm not sure which usb port/hub on the motherboard it corresponds to as of now.. though i'm not positive its the culprit (just disabling this one still results in an instant wake up).. i have noticed at times there is an exclamation mark next to one of these (there are several)

In a weird turn of events, seems after pulling the power plug from the psu, turning the system back on, sleep is acting normal again.. i've never encountered this before..

You can also try powercfg -lastwake. Under control panel > power options advanced > disable the sleep wake timers. When this happened to me, the cause was one of Microsoft's tasks in the Task Scheduler, I can't remember which one was the cause, but in my notes I currently only have the telemetry tasks written down so maybe it was one of them: In task scheduler, disable Application Experience, Customer Experience Improvement Program, and DiskDiagnostic\DataCollector. I think I waited for the system to wake up from sleep then looked to see which tasks had completed.

Last edited:
You can also try powercfg -lastwake. Under control panel > power options advanced > disable the sleep wake timers. When this happened to me, the cause was one of Microsoft's tasks in the Task Scheduler, I can't remember which one was the cause, but in my notes I currently only have the telemetry tasks written down so maybe it was one of them: In task scheduler, disable Application Experience, Customer Experience Improvement Program, and DiskDiagnostic\DataCollector. I think I waited for the system to wake up from sleep then looked to see which tasks had completed.

For me it was some weird power line issue.. pulling the cable, putting it back in fixed it.. (or.. it was the 3.1 usb upgrade utility that i ran which showed no changes were made but a power cycle was needed).. I did receive a weird error yesterday about usb over charge at the start of the computer in the bios area.. it would then shut down.. i forget how i got around that.. i think it might have been a usb-c converter plug causing this, unsure..

from cmd prompt:
powercfg /lastwake

that will tell you what woke it.

Also, I had a weird power issue, though I can't remember what exactly.
I resolved it by changing power settings to something else, then setting back to where they originally were.
Seems that maybe, wherever that data is stored in the registry, got corrupt or something. GUI showed one thing, reg values were for something else? Not sure exactly, but that fixed it.

from cmd prompt:
powercfg /lastwake

that will tell you what woke it.

Also, I had a weird power issue, though I can't remember what exactly.
I resolved it by changing power settings to something else, then setting back to where they originally were.
Seems that maybe, wherever that data is stored in the registry, got corrupt or something. GUI showed one thing, reg values were for something else? Not sure exactly, but that fixed it.

For me this is usually zero.. it was definitely the power cable/issue that caused it..

though now that a manual sleep works just fine.. now i cant get it to go to sleep on a timeout.. despite not seeing anything listed under requests even.. i feel like it might be related to the oculus rift though, still need to experiment.

Flash forward this is still an issue.. it doesnt work right on my OS.. however if i use a clean OS.. it is working.. lead me to believe its software.. i tried everything to kill exe's, services.. no go.. so i created a scheduled task which works well enough.. but i've run into an issue with the idle timer.. if you are in a game.. it doesnt fire off.. it waits properly.. i have the timer at 50 minutes.. if you sit at the desktop, usually within 5 minutes it fires off the task to sleep the pc.. unsure why, but the details are in this other thread.

Back