Windows 10 Creators Update Coming April 11

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Microsoft has officially announced that the next big Windows 10 update will be available on Tuesday, April 11. I am still not sure if Creators Update was the right name for this one, since Paint 3D seems to be the one and only feature that justifies it—this update is really about the under-the-hood changes and refinements. You may check out the reviews at Ars and Windows Central.

We designed Windows 10 to empower the creator in all of us. To us, that means that everyone has the power to dream big, whether that involves starting a company, developing a lesson plan, inventing a product, developing or broadcasting games, or imagining a whole new world in Minecraft or mixed reality. And we want Windows to be the place you love to create and play, with the tools to help you make your mark on the world.

People that have the (supposedly) final version have posted that there are lots of little UI tweaks. For example the start button right-click shortcuts to go to the Control Panel and Command Prompt are now gone. Not sure how I feel about that considering the Control Panel still houses a lot of things I use more than the "Settings" app. Hopefully things like the Nvidia Control Panel get ported over if they're going to start trying to hide it.
As far as the name goes, I'm a little surprised they're sticking to that. Almost everything the name is based upon (like the new sharing and content creation apps) were pushed to the Fall.

Yeah, its totally bizarre that this is given such a strange name "Creators Edition", as if it means something special, but it literally seems to just mean, hey look, we spent a couple of weeks on a pet project called 3D Paint, and we don't know what else to say about it. (It's funny, I was just looking at 3D Paint, and it struck me how much some of the UI looks like the UI from Windows 3.11, just with colour. Yep, this is just how bad current MS UI design can get.)

I'm running it, and to be honest it's just more of the same with some very minor UI tweaks. It runs the same, and I suppose that's ok...

Oh and we better not go on about the revamped, new and improved MS/NSA spyware/telemetry built in.

Last edited:
During the install it basically says "Do you want us to show you customized ads based upon your usage" and if you uncheck it it says "FU, we're still going to show you ads, just not ones you would be interested in now haha trololo". I loaded up Windows 8.1 10 minutes later and am running WSUS Offline now. God i forgot how nice it is to have an OS that doesn't wreak of a advertising and spying machine.

Eh, this update adds nothing that I would use.

Surely Paint 3D and more advertisements are exciting enough new features to make up for having your settings reset to MS defaults again?

Meanwhile, still no Telemetry Off switch.

Last edited:
>Windows has long been home to creation, with the original Paint seeing over 100 million monthly users as one of the most popular creation tools.

WOW.. i didnt know taking a screen shot and saving it with paint made me a "creative" person

>Windows has long been home to creation, with the original Paint seeing over 100 million monthly users as one of the most popular creation tools.

WOW.. i didnt know taking a screen shot and saving it with paint made me a "creative" person

100 million monthly users? Their telemetry seems to be working well, and can't be limited to Windows 10... :)

You're not creative. You're a creator. You created a new file of a screenshot (which there are better ways to do it, try the Snipping Tool).

are you fkn kidding me?

Powershell is default now.

You can hit Start and type Control Panel or CMD to go to those, but it's not in the Win+X/Right Click start shortcuts anymore... :/

When I'm at home, I usually don't even keep my keyboard in front of me most of the time. I like having as many quick mouse shortcuts as possible. Can't say I use the command prompt (or Powershell for that matter) all that often. However I end up in the control panel regularly. That where the Nvidia panel, uninstall options, audio settings, etc. are still located. Hopefully they move this stuff elsewhere as MS clearly isn't going to be using the Control Panel much longer.

So can you skip this update yet or do I have to get the update to do that :hungover:

Well, I am downloading the 15063 build iso as I type this. I am going to move it to a flash drive and install the upgrade over the top of my existing install of 14393. Good idea to get some advanced experience on it prior to release, considering my job is IT.

Edit: Going forward, this would also be good for clean installs, once it is released, since you do not need to download and install the previous updates.

Well, I am downloading the 15063 build iso as I type this. I am going to move it to a flash drive and install the upgrade over the top of my existing install of 14393. Good idea to get some advanced experience on it prior to release, considering my job is IT.

You're not an Insider? I'm shocked! :)

What sucks is that being an Insider and going to a PC that's on the "old" consumer build. You can really see how much things have changed through the process. Going from build to build to build you see incremental changes and it's not that bad. Going from major release to major release? It can be a lot different.

You're not an Insider? I'm shocked! :)

What sucks is that being an Insider and going to a PC that's on the "old" consumer build. You can really see how much things have changed through the process. Going from build to build to build you see incremental changes and it's not that bad. Going from major release to major release? It can be a lot different.

:D I am an Insider but, I have not done so on my desktop in quite a long time. However, on my phones, they have the latest build and seem to work well. I do not recall why I stopped but, I think I was probably having beta testing issues and gave up.

Lose the Control Panel and gain Game Mode, it's a fair trade.;)

right mouse click network and sharing. down by the speaker and clock in taskbar. top left opens up the oldschool control panel.

Well, I know this is just one thing but, it is about time they adding settings to the right click menu. I almost always right click the start button out of habit and constantly forget that the settings is not there. Now it is. :)

Yay can't wait to play the biannual what did the windows update uninstall or reset this time game!

Great, how much more is to be added to a powershell script to tweak the damn OS this time?

I downloaded it on a whim. It's interesting. Control panel was definitely removed from the right-click menu, but the other shortcuts to it are still there.
Windows Defender is now a full-on modern app instead of a hybrid. If you have shortcuts to the older version, they no longer work right.
Lots of the bundled modern apps can no longer be uninstalled. I have a weird white icon for a wireless projector program that doesn't seem quite finished.
The icons in the menus look ever so slightly different, but most people might not even notice.
Most of the obvious changes seem to be to the modern apps.

Ah Windows 10 update. Give 1 new useless feature, take away 10 useful ones.

I downloaded it on a whim. It's interesting. Control panel was definitely removed from the right-click menu, but the other shortcuts to it are still there.
Windows Defender is now a full-on modern app instead of a hybrid. If you have shortcuts to the older version, they no longer work right.
Lots of the bundled modern apps can no longer be uninstalled. I have a weird white icon for a wireless projector program that doesn't seem quite finished.
The icons in the menus look ever so slightly different, but most people might not even notice.
Most of the obvious changes seem to be to the modern apps.

I like the fact that Apps and Features are now one mouse click away on the right click menu. Makes it easier to uninstall stuff. :)

Back