Windows 10 Creator Update Version - Any Must Have Changes I Need To Do ?

T

troyquigley

I was just wondering if there were any changes I need to make, being I just went to the creator version.

for ex: disable services, apps, startup programs, privacy settings, etc.

I just want to make sure I disable all the crap Microsoft hid in the new update.

I don't have an answer per say to your question, just chiming in. I'm going to wait and let it roll out slowly over the next few weeks/months instead of pushing it now. Haven't heard of anything in this update that I'm drooling over and need to have now.

Apparently prior settings get handled differently depending on how you install this update. Through Windows Update, settings should be preserved. If you install it manually they won't. But I've heard reports that they are preserved even when the CU is installed manually. So you'll have to review to make sure things are the way you want them. Not really sure why this seems so inconsistent but clearly this shouldn't be a happening. I use all of this stuff so I don't disable anything so I personally don't have any experience with messing with the defaults much.

If there's no pressing feature you want or need then of course it's better to wait for things to get sorted out. Beyond settings this update seems to be going pretty well, there are issues with NVidia and HDR with the new drivers, that seems to be a systemic problem but I don't know of any other systemic problems to date. So far I like this update. Edge has improved, it is my main browser for performance and battery reasons, needs a LOT more extensions though. The tile folders, love that one and have no idea what took so long to get this on desktop as it's been on the phone for years and makes a lot more sense on the desktop.

These twice-yearly major Windows updates actually install the new version of Windows in an entirely new directory and move the old one to C:\WINDOWS.OLD. They reset a whole bunch of settings, particularly anything to do with windows telemetry, so you will need to reapply most of those settings after each major update.

@OP: I run Shutup10 and Winaero to disable telemetry/spying and fix general windows annoyances, respectively.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

Apparently prior settings get handled differently depending on how you install this update. Through Windows Update, settings should be preserved. If you install it manually they won't. But I've heard reports that they are preserved even when the CU is installed manually. So you'll have to review to make sure things are the way you want them. Not really sure why this seems so inconsistent but clearly this shouldn't be a happening. I use all of this stuff so I don't disable anything so I personally don't have any experience with messing with the defaults much.

If there's no pressing feature you want or need then of course it's better to wait for things to get sorted out. Beyond settings this update seems to be going pretty well, there are issues with NVidia and HDR with the new drivers, that seems to be a systemic problem but I don't know of any other systemic problems to date. So far I like this update. Edge has improved, it is my main browser for performance and battery reasons, needs a LOT more extensions though. The tile folders, love that one and have no idea what took so long to get this on desktop as it's been on the phone for years and makes a lot more sense on the desktop.
As I recall, mine weren't changed when the AU was applied last fall (probably october) and that was via windows update.

OTOH, they were reset when i just checked, so I believe this update did reset them (and it was also via Windows Update).
Others need to verify this. I, unfortunately, didn't verify the settings before applying the update.

Back