windows 10 build 10122 on fast track

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
windows 10 build 10122 just got pushed to my system. installed fine. only thing different so far is that transparency color matching, which is kinda cool. it picks the most predominant color from your background pic and matches it for the taskbar, start menu and windows highlights.

thanks for the heads up:Dtime to do an update...but wasn't it doing the transparency thing on your previous version? well ill know in a bit

dear god this is the worst upgrade i have ever had...and i have tried ever single one..WTF microsoft?:mad: Where to begin with how much shit is fucked on my pc now lol....looking like ill have to use image restore pretty soon

Look at this fu$#@% start menu:D
IMG_20150520_215336298_HDR_zpsh9ny9umt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Stay away from this build lol!!!!!!!Whatever the problem is it effects the password picture as well...as in its invisible lol....makes it tricky as hell
Was easy enough to report on the insider app with screenshot and all. Shortcuts still work fine so i might give it a few days

Last edited:
dear god this is the worst upgrade i have ever had...and i have tried ever single one..WTF microsoft?:mad: Where to begin with how much shit is fucked on my pc now lol....looking like ill have to use image restore pretty soon

Look at this fu$#@% start menu:D

Stay away from this build lol!!!!!!!Whatever the problem is it effects the password picture as well...as in its invisible lol....makes it tricky as hell
Was easy enough to report on the insider app with screenshot and all. Shortcuts still work fine so i might give it a few days

Haha, upgrading now. :D I'm serious. be back in about 15 minutes.

They spend 90% effort on start menu tweaking with no effort to improve the actual OS which is still same with no improvements, Win 10 is a mess.

Managed to fix the start menu by changing display driver to 15.5 beta.....at least i have text now;)
Capture_zpsq5f3maix.png
[/URL][/IMG]
the icons in the start menu a lot bigger since last build for everyone else? fuck it..least its working

ecvPAi8.png

No idea what your issue is. Mine's virtually stock tho. Maybe you made lots of changes?

No...Been doing the upgrades for quite some time....Can't think of any changes and was even using windows update driver before....strange i had to use beta driver just to see text
I'm thinking its just an amd driver/ unreleased beta os thing for time being

There's definitely something wonky going on with icons.

App icons are fine - Win32 programs are fucked up.

edit:
also I have an AMD card and it I deliberately tried Edge and I haven't managed to crash it yet. It's been about 45 minutes. It still seems to cap at 60 fps even on a 120hz monitor, though...

edit2:
It finally crashed, not very spectacularly. It looks like the process for that tab blows up and it warns you shit hit the fan. I tried a few more times and eventually it said fuck you and just shut down. Well, it certainly felt smooth while it lasted, and the benchmarks it survived it seemingly did do quite well in, for what it's worth. It did indeed beat the latest version of Chrome and Firefox on my system in the ones they list. It certainly seems to be shaping into something competent. Once extensions are working, I won't be terribly surprised to see it gaining meaningful traction.

Last edited:
There's definitely something wonky going on with icons.

App icons are fine - Win32 programs are fucked up.

edit:
also I have an AMD card and it I deliberately tried Edge and I haven't managed to crash it yet. It's been about 45 minutes. It still seems to cap at 60 fps even on a 120hz monitor, though...

edit2:
It finally crashed, not very spectacularly. It looks like the process for that tab blows up and it warns you shit hit the fan. I tried a few more times and eventually it said fuck you and just shut down. Well, it certainly felt smooth while it lasted, and the benchmarks it survived it seemingly did do quite well in, for what it's worth. It did indeed beat the latest version of Chrome and Firefox on my system in the ones they list. It certainly seems to be shaping into something competent. Once extensions are working, I won't be terribly surprised to see it gaining meaningful traction.

i see what you mean..my laptop is the same way...my icons like super-subzero are also fine...they just don't show up cause i deleted/ unpinned from start menu on my desktop because i don't use those much if any.....i'll just use the free stardock menu replacement for next 30 days till hopefully they release a working version

I noticed the 10122 clean install ISO has a thing for doing a PIN. Is that new? I set a pin and it's working fine, tho I question their logic for stripping a password down to four digits.

its a pin not a password though. it simpler for a system that doesnt need higher password strength. like how I use it so my roommates can access the pc if it reboots or whatever.

this is what it says when you set a password: "Passwords must have at least 8 characters and contain at least two of the following: uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers and symbols."

that's the point of the pin, it's simple.

The pin is not a replacement for the password. You have to have a password but then you can set a pin for easier access. (You enter the password in during the pin number setup process.)

The pin is not a replacement for the password. You have to have a password but then you can set a pin for easier access. (You enter the password in during the pin number setup process.)
true, if you are using it to log into your MS account. if using local you can just set a pin.

Finally got 10122 to install. It kept failing and the error it was throwing seemed to have to do with an update that wasn't installed all the way.

So I did a drive cleanup, cleared out temp files, and then cleared out the Windows update cache.

After that I rebooted and tried the update again and it worked.

Well, I had the issue with the damn thing crapping out at 18% on my Surface Pro 3 with various error codes depending on what I did to the system prior to proceeding with the OS update. Luckily I haven't relied on local storage for my important items so wiping clean and installing build 10074 and then upgrading to 10112 worked best for me. The fixes posted on the MS blog site and shared among others did not help.

Anyway, this build feels really smooth, it's resuming faster and more reliably than any of the other builds (had to turn off sleep for them), docking and undocking no longer seems to be a problem, but I'll wait a bit before cheering further on that point, audio abnormalities were missing (but not missed), the SP3 fan isn't turning up to full speed for every little thing, the Edge browser is finally useful and really does feel fast (I generally don't find much difference in speed between IE, Chrome and FF), but Cortana can't talk to the internet right now (again) so that's a let down.

I like the new upgrade experience and overall look and feel of the GUI is coming along nicely. I might be able to focus on the new stuff for once and not be constantly annoyed by the various performance issues of the last build.

Has anyone else noticed that the new Mail app brings back POP mail? I didn't check in 10074, but it was missing in all the other builds and I thought they were doing away with that support. I guess they came to their senses (especially since Verizon has no plans to switch from POP)?

Are those of you with AMD cards specifically HD 7970 users still able to use any win 10 build now? One of the updates has made any and all build unusable for me now no matter what driver i have tried. Interestingly enough i was able to get my old laptop with a HD 4200 working ok with ancient driver 13.1 i have had zero luck getting any display driver to work on my HD 7970 since an update yesterday. Guess my beta testing be over with on my desktop after going from the beginning till now if they don't get a working driver or workaround in the next few days. Its funny watching a hex a core almost maxed out watching a blueray move with basic Microsoft driver:D

I was on the fast track, the 10122 update blew up my install. Running 8.1.

Could be the ATI chip in my MacBook Pro, or bootcamp, or Apple's janky drivers... But yeah...

Pretty weird stuff... Going from 10074 to 10122 has dropped performance in The Witcher 3. I have the newest AMD Win10 driver across both, so I'm not sure why it took a dive. Anyone have issues like this with other games and/or apps?

The AMD WDDM 2.0 driver that came along with this build (or immediately downloaded from Windows Update, whatever it was) is touchy as fuck on my 7870 and is pretty damn crash happy.

So I'd say you're not alone in noticing oddities in AMD land. Games seem mostly the same performance wise, but Chrome alone has happily brought the driver down in flames several times so far (though it recovers instantly, which is nice), and I've gotten some artifacts in videos. Sometimes they simply never play and they're just blank instead.

10074 was much better behaved for me.

The newest drivers are the most stable for me, so I'm going to blame build 10122 for dropping the ball on performance.

ive been using 15.5 beta from guru3d and just installed the official release from amd. ive seen a slight improvement with tw3 6-8fps maybe...
had probs with the windows update versions. try the new ones on amd's beta page.

I'll give 15.5 a spin & see how well it does comparatively to the Win10 equivalent release

Back