Windows 10 Boot-up time

JoseJones

Gawd
Windows 10 Boot-up time

Will Windows 10 boot times be any improvement over Windows 8?

I remember when we used to have to remove all those background processes to conserve resources for Windows XP to help keep our PC's snappier and give faster boot times. Keeping those background processes to a minimum was especially helpful while gaming. We could get it down to about 14 processes.

Now, Windows 7 and 8 has over 70 processes running at boot up so, I'm curious what Microsoft has in-store for Windows 10 regarding boot times and background processes and apps.

I'd like Windows 10 to automatically do what we used to have to do with XP; instead of just having EVERYTHING automatically on and running, I'd like the complete opposite - a bare minimum. If I want to turn something on I'll do it myself when I need it. Or, at least allow for the option.

Faster boot times are especially helpful during trouble-shooting, updating and re-formatting.

Windows 10 will include DirectX 12 and NVMe support, so, I'm curious if the new NVMe interface will allow for faster boot-up as well since SSD's with NVMe will be about 6x faster or about 14x faster than disc hard drives?

I cannot find any detailed information about this at Microsoft. However, I did read at answers.microsoft that they improved the boot time performance of 8 and that Microsoft planned to build upon that to improve boot time performance in 10, but no details were given so, I am unclear on how true it is.

Last edited:
If it is the same as windows 8 will be great windows 7 seems to boot so slow to me now. My new pc is win 10 ready and windows 8 boots in about 1.4 seconds this is on a western digital black my laptop with ssd running 10 boots about that fast too... I have just enough time to plug it in before it is booted.

While I have never run 8.x, startup time is indeed improved from 7 in both builds 9926 and 10041.

You need a better computer if you need to have background processes disabled while gaming in this day and age.

Windows 8 uses a trick to boot faster. It uses a partial hibernation mode, that while not a complete hibernation, isn't a traditional shutdown either. Core processes are saved to the HDD/SSD while shutting down, to be loaded during boot. Do a restart on Windows 8, and the boot will take longer than a boot from a shutdown, as it doesn't do the partial hibernation for a reboot. Disable hibernation, and boot slows down as well. I'm 99% sure Windows 10 does the same thing.

NVMe will make things faster. Whether it's perceptible or not is a different story entirely. I would lean towards a few perceptive people would notice it. Most won't.

I agree with Tsumi as usual....i used win 8 since launch and win 10 since launch and they both seem pretty much the same in boot times and i don't expect it will change much if any between now and retail versions for boot times

We have yet to hear of any architectural improvements in Win 10 like in Win 8 - e.g. allowing kernel to hibernate etc. So far my Win 10 boot time is same as Win 8.

I always disable the Windows fast boot because when I shut down I want to truly power off the kernel for a fresh start each time. I'll gladly give up 15 seconds of my time for that once per day.

We have yet to hear of any architectural improvements in Win 10 like in Win 8 - e.g. allowing kernel to hibernate etc. So far my Win 10 boot time is same as Win 8.

Considering launch is only months away, they're aren't likely to be any or they would've already shouted them from the press release rooftops, since Windows 10 is really just Windows 8.2.

They're working more towards minimizing the install (since 8.1 really) instead of the boot up speeds. When they got down to 30-45 seconds with Windows Vista/7 it was lightning quick compared to minutes.

As Tsumi mentioned most of the speed increases with 8/8.1/10 and beyond are just some trickery to give the illusion the OS is booting faster. With an SSD we're pretty much at the max bootup time we're going see until non-volatile RAM becomes mainstream. That technology has been in development for 20 years so good luck.

Be happy it takes half a minute or less and that you never had to wait nearly 10 minutes like the 90's where every reboot made your butt clench.

Back