Windows 10 add to Windows Server 2003 R2 Domain

RKBET

Weaksauce
Will it work. The company I work for is having a problem with a 3rd party company who we do check deposits with. The call and told the person that they "will no longer support windows 7 later this year please update."

Is it just me or are some company's forcing people to update. We are still using a Windows server 2003 R2 which is the companys Domain/DNS/DHCP/File Server and Exchange. I upgraded all workstations from Windows XP to 7 earlier this year. What should I do. I'm already pushing to move Exchange to Exchange 365 in the cloud. But our CEO does not want to spend the money yet.

Will it work. The company I work for is having a problem with a 3rd party company who we do check deposits with. The call and told the person that they "will no longer support windows 7 later this year please update."

Is it just me or are some company's forcing people to update. We are still using a Windows server 2003 R2 which is the companys Domain/DNS/DHCP/File Server and Exchange. I upgraded all workstations from Windows XP to 7 earlier this year. What should I do. I'm already pushing to move Exchange to Exchange 365 in the cloud. But our CEO does not want to spend the money yet.

Considering 7/14 is end of the line for server 2003. You got bigger issues to fry. That server's gotta go.

I know right. but everything cost money and people are like. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The way I'm am I will always want the latest hardware and software. But for this company. I give up. My boss was suggestion on jumping to windows 8 for this user. I try to tell him that would not be wise. The user will have to learn where everything is and i'm no teacher. Plus software compatiblity.

You may want to ask for some clarrification.

Windows 7 <> Windows 7 SP1.

Even microsoft dropped support for Windows 7, but you're good if you've patched with SP1.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Support for Windows 7 RTM without service packs ended on April 9, 2013. Be sure to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 today to continue to receive support and updates.

If your domain is still running on 2003 servers, you should fix that. Upgrading shouldn't be too bad, either and you will get lots of benefits from going to 2003 to 2012 R2 AD.

But... I don't believe you'll have problems with Win10 clients, but I've never tried it.

Last edited:
Probably has something to do with PCI compliance, at least partially.

You may want to ask for some clarrification.

Windows 7 <> Windows 7 SP1.

Even microsoft dropped support for Windows 7, but you're good if you've patched with SP1.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

If your domain is still running on 2003 servers, you should fix that. Upgrading shouldn't be too bad, either and you will get lots of benefits from going to 2003 to 2012 R2 AD.

But... I don't believe you'll have problems with Win10 clients, but I've never tried it.

There all on the latest sp1's and all up to date with patches

There all on the latest sp1's and all up to date with patches

I would clarify this as well. Windows 7 SP1 is supported until January of 2020. It's not reasonable that they'd just end support for it especially considering that most companies have only upgraded in the last two years.

I would clarify this as well. Windows 7 SP1 is supported until January of 2020. It's not reasonable that they'd just end support for it especially considering that most companies have only upgraded in the last two years.

Well I just ask the user to give me there system requirements so I can confirm this change. Not everyone understands system requirements.

check deposits...
that 3rd party company; are you running that company's software to do the check deposits?

If so, you need to upgrade as you'll probably also have to adhere to PCI Compliance. And they wouldn't be so kind with an EOL server OS.

And as stated, verify from the 3rd party if it's Win7 RTM or Win7 SP1 that they're dropping support for.

check deposits...
that 3rd party company; are you running that company's software to do the check deposits?

If so, you need to upgrade as you'll probably also have to adhere to PCI Compliance. And they wouldn't be so kind with an EOL server OS.

And as stated, verify from the 3rd party if it's Win7 RTM or Win7 SP1 that they're dropping support for.

we have a hardware scanner that she scans checks into. from there I think it may be in the web browser. I will check in the morning.

check deposits...

Probably has something to do with PCI compliance, at least partially.

PCI council does not care about checks.

Back