Window XP BSODs: Ever get them? How often?

Have you ever gotten a BSOD in XP?

• Yes, 1-3 BSODS

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Yes, 4-6 BSODS

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Yes, 7-10 BSODS

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Yes, 11 or more BSODS

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • No, Never got a BSOD in XP

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • I

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Komataguri

2[H]4U
Have you ever gotten a BSOD in XP Pro/Home?

If so, How many have you gotten? What caused it/rectified it?

More so of a poll just to see how many BSODs people get, but might as well post what caused it and the solution while we're at it, ne?

I've been using XP since about a year after it came out, in all that time I only ever got a BSOD when my secondary harddrive began its fall into its death throws. In the span of 2 weeks, I got 3 BSODs.

Fixed by disconnecting the drive.

this is kind of deceptive since Windows 2000 (IIRC) an XP both are set to automatically reboot in the event of a STOP error (BSOD). So, many people that get them, probably didn't even realize they did. My $0.02. ;)

I've gotten BSoDs from USB expansion cards, modems, problems with a new DVD Burner, Shutting off processes in Task manager, over clocking Video Cards, mixing RAM of different time settings, putting expansion cards in bad PCI slots, and many other things that I've forgotten about. I've gotten them from games and other software that I just installed.

I've had for more Hardware BSoDs then software, but I can't count how many I've had since the BSoDs became familiar. I remember Windows 95 blue screens looked totally different then the ones we have now with Win2K and XP.

The only time I've found them useful was when there was a hardware problem and the BSoD actually stays on the screen long enough to read it. I'm not had much luck troubleshooting BSoDs cause by corrupt installations or faulty software.

in the past year and a half (once I got my comptuer stable anyways): ZERO

mattjw916 said:
this is kind of deceptive since Windows 2000 (IIRC) an XP both are set to automatically reboot in the event of a STOP error (BSOD). So, many people that get them, probably didn't even realize they did. My $0.02. ;)

Not always.

never, well nothing that i didnt bring on myself... when i try to run my a64 at 2.7ghz, yeah i get a BSOD, but never one that is cuased by teh OS

The only ones I've gotten were caused by something I did. I should have answered none I suppose.

Haven't got any BSODs in 2 years of running it!
I suppose I haven't been testing the limits of it though.

Mine came from uninstalling NOD32 while it was still running then rebooting. It didn't like that at all. However, it recovered just fine. Not a Windows (or NOD) problem, just user error.

I might have gotten one playing a game at one point when the game took issue with the video / sound driver, but don't remember for sure.

Don't think I have ever had an OS related crash.

I'd say about 4 in the last 2 years, one from some bad ram, and the others were from video driver issues.

The only BSOD i ever got on XP was caused by a modem driver included on XP install disk, this issue was addressed and fixed with SP1 but i got rid of it before sp1 using latest conexant drivers released on their website.

0ldmX

I got one when attempting to play the Pariah demo. Happened every time I tried to run it.

Other than that, only when attempting to change/update Creative drivers :)

mine stopped after nvidia drivers > 71.84. UT + Nvidia blows..... :\

Bullitt said:
mine stopped after nvidia drivers > 71.84. UT + Nvidia blows..... :\
make sure an option called "ATI/NV speed up" is disabled in the BIOS. it causes erros with cards and is some wacky feature of the nf3 that automaticlaly OC's cards

I got BSODs whenever I exited unreal 200x based games because of AMD's antivirus feature (data execution prevention I think). That all went away when I disabled it though

i've had 7 - 10 BSODs on this comp since I built it. The first few were caused by faulty memory, so I had to RMA one stick. The most recent ones pointed to my ATI drivers, but reinstalling those didn't do it. Turned out that my memory timings were set incorrectly somehow, so I reset those and everything has been fine again.

More than 10, though most were caused by hardware or software 2-3 were from windows itself

I had about 10 in one day, seems the hard drive in the firewire box I use was dieing, kept causing errors on the firewire ports causing a blue screen, replaced the drive and it was fine.

1 When installing XP on a really old box fixed by pressing f7 on the screen where it asks for f6 to install additional 3rd party drivers. Then I got a few when overclocking, but those don't really count.

Back