window etching

i'm wondering what tips/guides you have for case window etching. i want to put this image

http://agent.t35.com/junk/bagger.toon.3.jpg
[you may have to copy and paste the URL to get it to work, its finicky]

on a window for my friend, but when i did a practice today it didnt turn out so great looking, lots of bumps, kinda scratchy, with white plastic in the grooves from the plexi melting, and it makes me sad

tips? guides?

thanks!

Get an applique or sandblast it.

or you could use a glass window and etch it with Hydrofluoric Acid :p

PS: If you're insane enough to try the acid option, please don't breed, but please post pics and a general howto.

you could also make a stencil and use frosted spray paint.

i dont think that'd work like i want, cause i want the LEDs and cathodes to glow in the etch

If you're insane enough to try the acid option, please don't breed

hahahahaha. i did once etch glass with something or other. i dont know what it was but it was some kind of acid i think. we did it in 4H, lol

Originally posted by iambutaseeker
i dont think that'd work like i want, cause i want the LEDs and cathodes to glow in the etch

hahahahaha. i did once etch glass with something or other. i dont know what it was but it was some kind of acid i think. we did it in 4H, lol

It should work like you want... if it doesnt... you're out 3 bucks and you can wipe it off with some rubbing alcohol ;D

I favor sandblasting. However, since I've moved, I've lost access to such equipment. For my most recent case, I tried frosted glass spraypaint. I had masked it all off and cut out the area I wanted frosted with an exacto. The end result was a bit spotty and uneven. I went over the whole thing with fine sandpaper, making a big scratchy mess. However, after cleaning off the plastic dust, I hit it again with the frosting spray and it came out great!

Here's a pic

Originally posted by Tailin
I favor sandblasting. However, since I've moved, I've lost access to such equipment. For my most recent case, I tried frosted glass spraypaint. I had masked it all off and cut out the area I wanted frosted with an exacto. The end result was a bit spotty and uneven. I went over the whole thing with fine sandpaper, making a big scratchy mess. However, after cleaning off the plastic dust, I hit it again with the frosting spray and it came out great!

Here's a pic

How did you do that cut out design?

get the surface wet first (spray bottle), then when applying use a credit card to flatten it down as you apply it. This will eliminate bumps/air bubbles.

Hmmm, gotta try that hydrofluoric acid etching. I'll be working in the lab on campus and doing my mod at the same time. Already going to be doing some anodization, might as well acid etch some stuff too :D

Back