Window Air Conditioning Advice

melteye

[H]ard|Gawd
I am installing an air conditioning unit in my office and I need some advice.

The room is 10' x 11' and the ceiling height is 8' on one side and 10' on the opposite side. I live in Southern California where the temperatures get into the 100-110s+

I am currently using an LG 9000 BTU portable air conditioner but the unit is large, expensive and the placement of the window requires the device be 2 feet from my ear, operating at a supposed 54 decibels... not to mention the hose connected it to the window heats up and probably reduces efficiency.

I am considering a window unit and was wondering if anyone has experience with cooling a room this size. The price difference between the 6,000 BTU units and 8,000 BTU units isn't significant and the rated decibels are equivalent... I figured it would be safe to overshoot then undershoot. I am looking at the following from Home Depot:

LG 8,000 BTU
Model LW8012ER
- 54 dba inside, 60 dba outside

GE 8,000 BTU
Model AEL08LQ
- No info on dba levels

Sharp 8,000 BTU
Model AF-S85RX
- 53 dba inbside, 53 dba outside

The first conflict is between GE/LG... the Sharp is a less expensive unit which is supposedly quiet but reviews are hard to find. Any input?

Dont use a window unit.

Use a rolling portable kind on little castors. you run the duct out the window to exhaust the heat.

Simple enough. You can put it anywhere you want as long as the exhaust duct is out the window.

I run a 12,000 BTU in my home office and its really quiet for its size. made by Frigidaire.

Dont use a window unit.

Use a rolling portable kind on little castors. you run the duct out the window to exhaust the heat.

Simple enough. You can put it anywhere you want as long as the exhaust duct is out the window.

I run a 12,000 BTU in my home office and its really quiet for its size. made by Frigidaire.

I am already using a portable unit. The reason I am considering a window unit is stated in my original post. I also just looked up the sound rating for a 12,000 BTU Frigidaire portable unit and it's 56 dB on high... which is louder then my current portable and louder then the window units (inside). Even if it's quieter the portable would need to be RIGHT next to my ear ;-)

Last edited:
So there is either no central AC at all or modifying the existing ducts in the walls is too much work?

Best result is always to pick a duct that runs near to a non-weight bearing dry-wall wall, modify duct into a T or Y junction with a little extra material and add a grate to your wall. Problem solved.

Another option (which is real common in SE Asia and sold often enough in the states) is a one room air conditioner where the compressor and other assorted mechanical bits are fix mounted outside somewhere and a small remote controlled vent is sent up in one of the walls.

Both of these are much quieter with the benefit of no cold air leaks due to an open window.

A properly insulated window A/C installation won't leak much air. I prefer them to portable units. OP I don't know about the ones you linked but I've always had good luck with Frigidaire.

Extend the window ducting and place the damn thing farther away from you.

The option was to extend the ducting (multiple bends) and insulate the entire length to minimize heat loss to the window. The costs associated with the modifications and the higher cost of the portable unit made me consider a window unit that was cheaper, had similar sound output and required no ducting... or are window units so bad that I should spend $100-$200 more for a device that requires extensive ducting.

So there is either no central AC at all or modifying the existing ducts in the walls is too much work?

Best result is always to pick a duct that runs near to a non-weight bearing dry-wall wall, modify duct into a T or Y junction with a little extra material and add a grate to your wall. Problem solved.

Another option (which is real common in SE Asia and sold often enough in the states) is a one room air conditioner where the compressor and other assorted mechanical bits are fix mounted outside somewhere and a small remote controlled vent is sent up in one of the walls.

Both of these are much quieter with the benefit of no cold air leaks due to an open window.

I rent a room from owners who do not use their central air. I am cooling my own room/office and paying the associated electrical costs. Sorry for the lack of details in my initial post.

A properly insulated window A/C installation won't leak much air. I prefer them to portable units. OP I don't know about the ones you linked but I've always had good luck with Frigidaire.

Considering the portable units still require venting to a window and proper insulation I currently don't see the advantage of portable units (as I don't need portability.) If I can save a hundred or two on the unit, negate the need for extended ducting and related loss of efficiency and clear up space in an already space limited room I'd be happy with the window unit... I just don't want to end up with a bad unit.

Edit: The portable units also exhaust air from inside the room to the outside environment, creating a vacuum which draws air from the hallway or poorly insulated windows... so it looks like "leakage" would be a problem in either case. A properly insulated window unit would leak less air then a portable unit.

Last edited:
Ended up buying the GE 8,000 BTU (AEL08LQ) window air conditioner and so far I am quite happy.

It is significantly quieter then the LG 9,000 BTU (LP0910WNR) portable air conditioner. The compressor is almost silent and the window units fan on high is quieter then the portable units fan on low. Despite being 1,000 BTUs less the window air conditioner cools the room MUCH faster (hours difference) and is capable of reaching lower temperatures... it actually reached the desired temperature within an hour and cycled off, the portable unit had to run constantly.

I have $130 extra in my wallet, there was no need to extend and insulate the duct, I can have a conversation without raising my voice while the unit is on and cool air stays in the room longer. Now to enjoy the cool air and play Diablo 3.

The reason the window unit is working better is because it isn't sucking the hot air from other rooms into the room you are in.

I've used both window and portable units... if you have a window, the window unit is the way to go.

The reason the window unit is working better is because it isn't sucking the hot air from other rooms into the room you are in.

I've used both window and portable units... if you have a window, the window unit is the way to go.

That's the same conclusion I cam to... although both units require a window so the portable only seems useful for very small windows or vertical sliders.

Back