Windnoes Trix

well, if someone is willing, do it and then see if there's any time difference per frame of the WU you're on...

*sigh* okay,

i guess ill whip out some graph paper and start countin... :rolleyes:

seriously, i will, but i doubt it will be mesurable by the system clock's time stamp, which only goes to seconds.

just look at the FAHlog.txt file

it tells you when you complete each frame, so measure the intervals and see if it's appreciabely smaller under Safe Mode With Networking

okay, in normal windows, each frame was taking almost 10 minutes (9 min 55 sec, or so)
in safe mode, each frame took about 9 minutes (8 min 45 sec)
however, i have 59 prossesses normaly, and 17 in safe mode, so YMMV

this is "safe mode with networking"

EDIT: i think a real good idea would be instead of messing with safe mode, get a program like EndItAll to kill anything that needs to die, and start windows normaly. i can just imagine someone booting up a boxin and leaving it for a few days with that "are you sure you want to enter safe mode" prompt up and it not folding :( that woud be bad

theshadow27 said:
okay, in normal windows, each frame was taking almost 10 minutes (9 min 55 sec, or so)
in safe mode, each frame took about 9 minutes (8 min 45 sec)
however, i have 59 prossesses normaly, and 17 in safe mode, so YMMV

this is "safe mode with networking"

EDIT: i think a real good idea would be instead of messing with safe mode, get a program like EndItAll to kill anything that needs to die, and start windows normaly. i can just imagine someone booting up a boxin and leaving it for a few days with that "are you sure you want to enter safe mode" prompt up and it not folding :( that woud be bad
bah, EndItAll does nothing for me (btw, that link is bad), all non-essential processes are already dead :(

..just went through the services (start / run / services.msc) menu and disabled everything i thought i didn't need....time per frame went from ~14 minutes --> ~ 8 minutes :eek: :eek: :D

K, I've done a little testing, and with a tinker, I ran windows with safe mode, command prompt only, and it cut frame times down from ~6 minutes to approx ~4 minutes. All in all, not a bad gain.

Edit: It appears that after normalizing for a few minutes that once back in Windows, it got down to around 4:10 per frame, just a shade longer than without anything running.

yeah but can i still dl my p0rn in cmd prompt

y not just run a stripped linux?? wouldn't that do the same thing??

That's looking to be the best route if any. There really doesn't seem to be, at least in my case, any advantage to running F@H in a different setup. I'd imagine if I did the math out, there might be some difference, but as noted earlier, not enough to make it worthwile.

depends on how lon gu run it

if u run it for 5 years with a small advantage it will make worth while

but what do i know? i still in bed :)

Ah but in five years, we'll all have flying cars and according to Moore's law we'll have ~120ghz computers, so the numbers won't matter! :p

wow, i just realized firefox sucks CPU cycles like a parisian whore! especially when viewing that newegg banner up top...it went to like 20% CPU usage!

so i downloaded opera 8 -- which (even when viewing the newegg ad) maxed at 3% :D

muuuuuch better...\\

Back