WinBook TW700 as a mobile podcasting rig...

Just recently, a buddy of mine and I decided to work on a podcast together.

Sound quality has been solid so far using a Blue Yeti mic and my laptop running Audacity under Ubuntu.

After seeing a review of the WinBook TW700 running Windows 8.1 with a full USB slot and a Micro USB (which works w/ USB OTG), I was interested. It actually works like a charm and I was able to get Audacity to save files right to Dropbox so I can edit them further on my desktop later on.

It is funny to me that I can get such solid sound quality here, considering the mic cost 50% more than the PC it is being recorded on.

yeah full size usb on a cheap tablet opens up some options for that particular tablet.

cool to hear you have had good experiences.

link to the podcast?

why not sure onedrive? have better OS integration and more storage than dropbox.... not that it makes any difference to me what you use, just wondering why

I will link once we officially launch. We want to have several episodes in the can to roll out on a set schedule.

I could certainly use OneDrive. We already had the Dropbox setup for notes and such, so it just was in our workflow.

Is it running a light version of Windows 8.1? How much memory is used booting into the OS? I normally see between >1 and 1.5GB so surprised it can run on 1GB DRAM.

Is it running a light version of Windows 8.1? How much memory is used booting into the OS? I normally see between >1 and 1.5GB so surprised it can run on 1GB DRAM.

There is no light version of Windows 8.1 x86. 8.1 does seem to manage memory pretty efficiently but there is a good deal of memory swapping on these 1 GB devices. However when running just a few tasks they tend to run fine. These 1 GB devices seem to have gotten overall high praise for their bang for the buck, I've been very happy with the HP Stream 7. It doesn't have the ports of the TW700 but for the going price of $80 it's hard to complain.

Between the Stream 7 and WinBook, the HP is the more robust machine. Had my cameras worked, I'd have kept it and not found the WinBook.

It really was the ports that sold me on the WinBook. Couldn't go wrong with being able to run such a powerful mic on a full PC tablet that costs as much as a Sunday brunch.

I haven't actually used the Winbook to record as my podcasting setup evolved pretty rapidly.

The show has launched though!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-seven-minute-sales-minute/id1044003251?mt=2

I have actually experimented using the WinBook for recording. All told, it wasn't bad. It definitely chugs at times but it doesn't freeze or drop the audio. I would have no issue dropping this and a USB mic in my bag and recording on the fly.

If you haven't checked out the show. Please do. We are 20 episodes in.

Back