winbook 30in panel $999

This is the first time I've seen or heard of it.

I'll check for some reviews. That seems pretty inexpensive for an LCD of that size. They neglected to mention what the pixel response time is and I'm guessing that wasn't an accident.

I'm sure it's 16ms.

I got a Westinghouse 27" that looks exactly like that. It has 16ms.

Scheizekopf said:
I'm sure it's 16ms.

I got a Westinghouse 27" that looks exactly like that. It has 16ms.

How do you like it for normal use, I was seriously thinking of getting the 30" but figured it was too big to have right in front of me. Was going to use it more as a computer screen then a TV. Ended up going with the 2005fpw from Dell. Just curious on how it is for normal desktop and game use and how clear it is.

Nascar24 said:
How do you like it for normal use, I was seriously thinking of getting the 30" but figured it was too big to have right in front of me. Was going to use it more as a computer screen then a TV. Ended up going with the 2005fpw from Dell. Just curious on how it is for normal desktop and game use and how clear it is.
Looks alright. I've been using it mostly for TV and DVD Movies. Some computer use. Regular stuff on the computer looks pretty good. Havent done any gaming on it yet. Havent had time.

Yea it does suck that the 27" doesnt have DVI. The VGA looks good to me.

On the other hand, one could always just use the component inputs which should give just as good a picture as the missing dvi.

Yes it is low. What matters here is the DPI, not the total pixel count. This thing, and all the others like it, are about 50 DPI. That's about four fold fewer pixels per square whatever than you are used to looking at on a smaller monitor. Decent for TV, but way undesireable for a monitor IMHO.

Scheizekopf said:
Low Res?

It's 1280x760. That's not that low. 800x600 is low.

segador said:
On the other hand, one could always just use the component inputs which should give just as good a picture as the missing dvi.
I use the component input with my dvd player. Looks good.

Very cheap for a big lcd that saves space. ($999-$1100)

Blethrow said:
Yes it is low. What matters here is the DPI, not the total pixel count. This thing, and all the others like it, are about 50 DPI. That's about four fold fewer pixels per square whatever than you are used to looking at on a smaller monitor. Decent for TV, but way undesireable for a monitor IMHO.

I don't think the idea here is to use this as some sort of stand-in for a 30" Apple. Rather, the question is how this unit's quality compares to other 30" HDTVs with the same or similar resolution, probably with use in an HTPC set-up in mind.

Back