Winamp 5 doesn't start

emorphien

2[H]4U
I assume this is the place to ask a question about winamp :)

I just tried the upgrade from Winamp 3 to 5 and didn't have any luck. I uninstalled 3 installed Winamp 5 and every time I try to start 5 it opens up a tab on the taskbar and that's it. The program never starts and I have to force quit it.

I'm running XP Pro on the 2.8ghz system in my sig.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

I had an issue similar to this that Winamp was minimised but wouldn't restore just by clicking on the taskbar icon. Try right clicking on the taskbar icon and if a menu comes up click restore.

Also if this is not the problem. Did you try to install over Winamp3 (i.e. in the winamp3 directory)? Winamp 5 is an upgrade to Winamp 2 but not upgradeable from Winamp3 (is a different product)

I said I had uninstalled 3, but in a rather confusing sentence.

So here it is again. 3 was removed from the system and 5 was installed. Upon running, the tab on the taskbar shows up and that's it. It is unusable (clicking on the tab does nothing) and no winamp icon appears in the system tray. Winamp itself does not appear either.

so far nobody anywhere has been able to help, granted this is the only answer i've received.

Uninstall Winamp, delete the C:\Program Files\Winamp directory (it will be left behind on uninstall)

Reinstall Winamp.

If this does not fix it, upon running Winamp hit ALT+M this should get the main window to show.

I had deleted the directory, I'll try the ALT-M when I get back to that computer.

Originally posted by emorphien
I had deleted the directory, I'll try the ALT-M when I get back to that computer.

I'm sorry... but I told you the wrong keys!!!

Its actually ALT+W!!!

Alt+M minimizes Winamp :(

Is it possible that it might be necessary to delete the registry key before reinstalling 5? Just a thought...

I'd check it out myself, but I'm still running 2.81(MAD). :p

Originally posted by Hal|9k
Is it possible that it might be necessary to delete the registry key before reinstalling 5? Just a thought...

I'd check it out myself, but I'm still running 2.81(MAD). :p

Yeah, next time I feel like jumping through hoops I'm going to take out all winamp references from the registry that might be left behind.

I had a similiar problem on my new computer. I had winamp 2 and when I got 5, it wouldn't work very well to begin with, so I just reformatted (my solution to everything) and it's worked great since then.

Ahh, but no software is worth the effort to reformat IMO. I reformat when the system needs it because it's eventually become a mess, I have too much work to do and too much stuff on it to deal with the hassle, particularly over something as trite as Winamp.

I'm back to 3 for now.

Back