WinAFC - is it still needed?

musky

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2012
Joined
Dec 14, 2009
Messages
3,154
I do not see any benefit from running WinAFC, although I may be doing something wrong. This is the first Windows-based SMP + GPU machine I have ever run believe it or not, and the first time I have ever tried to use WinAFC. Here is what I have:

Dual Xeon E5530's at 2400 - WinSMP -bigadv
GTX 460 @ 1800 shaders - GPU3
Windows 7 Ultimate 64

I added these two lines to the affinityinput.txt file in the WinAFC directory:

*\FahCore_15.exe := PAIR0::CPU0 [priority=BelowNormal]
*\FaHCore_a3.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1+PAIR2+PAIR3+PAIR4+PAIR5+PAIR6+PAIR7 [priority=idle]

The GPU seems to make absolutely no difference whether I have WinAFC running or not - 11K ppd consistantly (core priority is "Slightly Higher" in the actual F@H configuration.) The SMP client fluctuates quite a bit, but averages in the 34K ppd range regardless of whether or not WinAFC is running. It looks like I am catching both processes correctly. With just the GPU client running, only CPU0 is showing any load. I initially forgot that I have 8 pairs on this box, so I only had pairs 0-3 in the config line and the total CPU load was right at 50% as expected.

Does this look right, and is anyone else seeing not much of any ppd difference on your SMP client without WinAFC on SMP + GPU boxen? I know many of you guys know a lot more about this type of setup than I do, so any advice is much appreciated.
 
if your using the windows SMP client then its not really needed anymore..
 
Back
Top